You are not logged in.

#1876 2013-04-13 07:36:00

bubbathevtog

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

chenxiaolong wrote:
bubbathevtog wrote:

Hrm....well that is strange. No, there is nothing that I'm aware of that should be causing that. I've installed the system according to the wiki. The only difference is that while I'm chroot'd into the system I install my xorg server, xf86-input-evdev, and intel drivers......do you think it's possible that could be throwing it off? If those packages were installed under a different owner (the arch-live-session owner, though that user name is "root" as well). But then I also wait until I reboot and log in as root to install the Unity-for-Arch packages. Then if that was the case though, wouldn't XFCE and LXDE not work properly as well? Is there anything I can check? Should I start over and install all those packages after I've rebooted and am no longer chroot'd?

Neither XFCE nor LXDE use dconf, so I'd expect them to work properly. The chroot could have potentially caused it. Does Unity run properly if you create another user and run it there?

I'll search more about this issue tomorrow. My brain is too tired right now...time to sleep... smile

yeah m8 go to bed! From what I gather I'm a few hours behind you (I'm in Alaska). I just got done installing from scratch again. This time I fallowed the wiki to a T to make sure that the chroot can't mislabel the ownership of files and that I have no testing repos installed, still nothing. And when I add another user the same thing happens. The .xsessions-errors are even the same. Here is yet another copy of my .xsession-errors if you want to have a look, though it's much like the ones you already have seen.

Thank you again. Unity is the only desktop on Linux that I like, and it came with a catch 22 that it had to be used on Ubuntu. Which as I continue to use Arch I like the ubuntu base less and less, and when I found that I could use Unity on Arch I fell in LOVE. So let's solve this thing!

#1877 2013-04-13 08:23:51

Kleinermann9

Hello!

I made a new install of the Arch and Unity-for-Arch with the testing repos. Everything works fine, except of Unity-Tweak-Tool. It won't launch. When I try to run it in terminal, I am getting this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/unity-tweak-tool", line 33, in <module>
    import UnityTweakTool
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py", line 39, in <module>
    import dbus, dbus.service
ImportError: No module named 'dbus'

Did somebody else getting this error?

Thanks in advance

#1878 2013-04-13 09:21:23

qiuwei

Kleinermann9 wrote:

Hello!

import UnityTweakTool
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/UnityTweakTool/__init__.py", line 39, in <module>

Thanks in advance

I don't use it, but the errors may be caused by missing python dbus binding.
You can try installing python-dbus.

EDIT: Just test it, so unity-tweak-tool depends on python-dbus.

Last edited by qiuwei (2013-04-13 09:23:50)

#1879 2013-04-13 12:30:25

Kleinermann9

qiuwei wrote:
Kleinermann9 wrote:

Hello!

import UnityTweakTool

Thanks in advance

I don't use it, but the errors may be caused by missing python dbus binding.
You can try installing python-dbus.

EDIT: Just test it, so unity-tweak-tool depends on python-dbus.

Thanks for your advice. Installing this package solved my problem.

#1880 2013-04-13 16:45:25

bubbathevtog

bubbathevtog wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
bubbathevtog wrote:

Hrm....well that is strange. No, there is nothing that I'm aware of that should be causing that. I've installed the system according to the wiki. The only difference is that while I'm chroot'd into the system I install my xorg server, xf86-input-evdev, and intel drivers......do you think it's possible that could be throwing it off? If those packages were installed under a different owner (the arch-live-session owner, though that user name is "root" as well). But then I also wait until I reboot and log in as root to install the Unity-for-Arch packages. Then if that was the case though, wouldn't XFCE and LXDE not work properly as well? Is there anything I can check? Should I start over and install all those packages after I've rebooted and am no longer chroot'd?

Neither XFCE nor LXDE use dconf, so I'd expect them to work properly. The chroot could have potentially caused it. Does Unity run properly if you create another user and run it there?

I'll search more about this issue tomorrow. My brain is too tired right now...time to sleep... smile

yeah m8 go to bed! From what I gather I'm a few hours behind you (I'm in Alaska). I just got done installing from scratch again. This time I fallowed the wiki to a T to make sure that the chroot can't mislabel the ownership of files and that I have no testing repos installed, still nothing. And when I add another user the same thing happens. The .xsessions-errors are even the same. Here is yet another copy of my .xsession-errors if you want to have a look, though it's much like the ones you already have seen.

Thank you again. Unity is the only desktop on Linux that I like, and it came with a catch 22 that it had to be used on Ubuntu. Which as I continue to use Arch I like the ubuntu base less and less, and when I found that I could use Unity on Arch I fell in LOVE. So let's solve this thing!

Hrrrmmmm....Well this is even more strange.....So last night I decided that I'd have to live with XFCE for a while (since it doesn't have issues with unity like gnome). I went and installed a few other packages, bumblebee (and packages that needs like nvidia, primus, lib32 stuff, its on the wiki) Wine, wine alsa stuff, yaourt, and yaourt-gui (the bash one). Went to bed (turned off computer), woke up, and NOW IT WORKS!!! It's the strangest thing! Yeah I had a few bugs on start up, like massive trails on opened windows until I put on a desktop background (the desktop was originally black), Dash was slow until I went into ccsm and changed the blur to "none", but it all works now!!!

Chenxiaolong would you like any information from my installation to see what you can deduce from the issue? Just tell me what (if anything) you want and I'll give it to you.

Last edited by bubbathevtog (2013-04-13 16:51:12)

#1881 2013-04-13 17:24:43

chenxiaolong

bubbathevtog wrote:
bubbathevtog wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Hrrrmmmm....Well this is even more strange.....So last night I decided that I'd have to live with XFCE for a while (since it doesn't have issues with unity like gnome). I went and installed a few other packages, bumblebee (and packages that needs like nvidia, primus, lib32 stuff, its on the wiki) Wine, wine alsa stuff, yaourt, and yaourt-gui (the bash one). Went to bed (turned off computer), woke up, and NOW IT WORKS!!! It's the strangest thing! Yeah I had a few bugs on start up, like massive trails on opened windows until I put on a desktop background (the desktop was originally black), Dash was slow until I went into ccsm and changed the blur to "none", but it all works now!!!

Chenxiaolong would you like any information from my installation to see what you can deduce from the issue? Just tell me what (if anything) you want and I'll give it to you.

Wow, I just woke up (12:30 PM here in Ohio) and now I hear this great news smile

Would you mind posting your /var/log/pacman.log file? I'd like to see which magical package(s) you installed to make this work! The output of "lspci" would be nice. That will give me some more info about your hardware (most importantly, the GPU).

#1882 2013-04-13 17:53:57

bubbathevtog

chenxiaolong wrote:
bubbathevtog wrote:
bubbathevtog wrote:

Wow, I just woke up (12:30 PM here in Ohio) and now I hear this great news smile

Would you mind posting your /var/log/pacman.log file? I'd like to see which magical package(s) you installed to make this work! The output of "lspci" would be nice. That will give me some more info about your hardware (most importantly, the GPU).

Sure thing! My GPU info is here. As you can see I have an optimus laptop, though I'm lucky I can still output via the hdmi out put for things like multi-screen displays, and I've also never had an issue getting the display to just work on my intel card. But I do have to install Bumblebee to turn off the card. It's on max power until I do. This is my exact laptop if you want to see exact specs, (Though I got it much much cheaper than that smile ). Also I should mention that before this whole issue, I had unity-for-arch installed and working, then installed Bumblebee. So I don't know, maybe the last build update made something dependent on something.

Here is my pacman.log . Like I said it was the strangest thing, I installed maybe a few packages like bumblebee, and wine, turned off my laptop, went to bed, woke up, decided to try it one more time, and BAM there it was. So strange!

Again, THANK YOU for your work!!! Unity is the only DE that I really like on Linux. So the fact that I can have it on Arch is just awesome. Please let me know if there is anything that you need in the future.

#1883 2013-04-13 22:19:02

chenxiaolong

bubbathevtog wrote:

Sure thing! My GPU info is here. As you can see I have an optimus laptop, though I'm lucky I can still output via the hdmi out put for things like multi-screen displays, and I've also never had an issue getting the display to just work on my intel card. But I do have to install Bumblebee to turn off the card. It's on max power until I do. This is my exact laptop if you want to see exact specs, (Though I got it much much cheaper than that smile ). Also I should mention that before this whole issue, I had unity-for-arch installed and working, then installed Bumblebee. So I don't know, maybe the last build update made something dependent on something.

Here is my pacman.log . Like I said it was the strangest thing, I installed maybe a few packages like bumblebee, and wine, turned off my laptop, went to bed, woke up, decided to try it one more time, and BAM there it was. So strange!

Again, THANK YOU for your work!!! Unity is the only DE that I really like on Linux. So the fact that I can have it on Arch is just awesome. Please let me know if there is anything that you need in the future.

You're welcome! I'm glad you finally got Unity working well under Arch! I took a look at the pacman.log file, and honestly, I have no idea what could have made Unity suddenly work smile

You must be one of the lucky ones with a laptop that has the HDMI out connected to the Intel card. That probably means you have HDMI audio working too, which no other Optimus users get to enjoy tongue By the way, how well does your Samsung Series 7 work with Linux? I've been looking for a replacement from my dead Lenovo brick and those look really nice!

#1884 2013-04-13 22:35:36

chenxiaolong

Two announcements today - one not so interesting and one, perhaps, a little more interesting smile

1. https://github.com/chenxiaolong/jenkins … n-cache.py

This script can clean up the pacman cache or any directory containing *.pkg.tar.xz packages, such as a repo. How is this different from "pacman -Sc"? It supports directories containing packages for multiple architectures and more importantly, it will not delete packages just because they aren't installed. All the script does is ensure that only the latest versions of packages exist.

usage: clean-pacman-cache.py [-h] [-d DIRECTORY] [-n] [-p] [-q]

Remove old versions of packages from a directory
------------------------------------------------
Default directory: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -d DIRECTORY, --directory DIRECTORY
                        Directory containing packages
  -n, --noformatting    Do not format output (useful for scripts)
  -p, --print           Print files to be deleted (none actually deleted)
  -q, --quiet           Don't print anything

2. The more interesting news: monthly Unity-for-Arch LiveCDs are now being built. The LiveCD is currently not installable yet (it will create a standard Arch installation), but it can give users a good idea of what to expect when running Unity under Arch smile

The LiveCDs are currently available for x86_64 only. But seeing that it only takes 3 and a half hours to build, I may include i686 versions and possibly do weekly builds. Right now, a new LiveCD is set to pop up at around 3 AM EST on the 1st of every month.

The build logs/progress are available at: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/view/Unity-for-Arch-LiveCD/
The source code and scripts are available at: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch-LiveCD
The ISO images are available at: https://sf.net/p/unity-for-arch

The first release is already available big_smile

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-04-13 22:37:54)

#1885 2013-04-13 22:58:11

bubbathevtog

You're welcome! I'm glad you finally got Unity working well under Arch! I took a look at the pacman.log file, and honestly, I have no idea what could have made Unity suddenly work smile

You must be one of the lucky ones with a laptop that has the HDMI out connected to the Intel card. That probably means you have HDMI audio working too, which no other Optimus users get to enjoy tongue By the way, how well does your Samsung Series 7 work with Linux? I've been looking for a replacement from my dead Lenovo brick and those look really nice!

HOLY CRAP I didn't know that audio was an issue for us optimus users! Yeah I have full every thing out of the HDMI. Sound, Games, Video, extended desktop, single screen view on for output only, everything. Yeah aside from the optimus stuff everything works perfectly. The big known issue is that this is the laptop where if UEFI is enable and misconfigured the UEFI chip on the motherboard blows and turns the laptop into a brick (see here and here), much like what you have probably already experienced. Though there is the "legacy bios" mode in the bios that I just leave on, AND WILL NEVER TURN IT OFF. Other than that the only 2 things I have to complain about is that the FN keys for the keyboard back-lights don't work (which I just went into the system and set it manually), though with the 3.6 and above kernel the light sensors to turn them on and off work now. Also fan control button doesn't work out of the box, their is a package in the AUR (samsung-laptop-tools, "something"-slowdown-manager) that enables that under gnome, kde, and Ubuntu, though not under unity for arch....:P of course (Edit Fan Control Works now!!!).
The only thing that I would change, and have, is swaping out the HDD for a SSD. I replaced the 750gb HDD with a Crucial M4 128GB SSD. This thing FLIES after that. I have something like a 5 second boot time, including the bios splash screen.
As far as battery life, apparently this thing will get 8hrs on winblows (according to the website ptffff). Under Ubuntu I was getting about 3-4 consistantly with Bumblebee configured, but under Arch I consistantly get about 5hrs.

Also since I know your shopping for a new laptop, my model (the one with 1gb of ddr5 video ram) and the model above it (2gb ddr5 video ram) were just discontinued to be replaced by a much more powerful AMD gpu. I've never ran AMD under LInux but I've heard it's not good. So you might be able to pick one of these up cheap. I payed $1350 for mine, but I had to order it from Amazon even though Best Buy was selling the next model up for cheaper since I live 100 miles from the closest town, and about 400 miles from the closest electronics store, and even further from a Best Buy. I've seen it advertised for about $1000 though.

Let me know if there is anything else specific about it you would like to know, I do owe you one for your work.

EDIT: LIVE CD'S!!!!!WOOOOOOTTTTT!!!! I saw that you were building something on jenkins this morning that said CD. That's awesome!!! Can't wait for it to be install-able.

Last edited by bubbathevtog (2013-04-13 23:02:23)

#1886 2013-04-13 23:30:15

samuaz

hi people, i make a clean install of archlinux and at this time i install unity from the unity-for-arch repo, all install fine but i have a Big problem with unity.

Unity freezes when I minimize or close a window, does not always happen, but most of the time, and when it happen the ui come very slow and unresponsive and take a long time to response again

my hardware are, core 2 duo 2.0ghz, 4gb of ram, and intel gma 4500HD integrated grapchis.

this its my xsession-errors file:

N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {0c2d7af626a84a7c850fcf4b39fc2f1a}unix:/run/user/1000/pulse/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper.

(gnome-settings-daemon:542): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: core

(gnome-settings-daemon:542): color-plugin-WARNING **: unable to get EDID for xrandr-LVDS1: unable to get EDID for output
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ccp
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ccp
+ dconf dump /desktop/unity/
+ dconf load /com/canonical/unity/
+ dconf reset -f /desktop/unity/
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: opengl
compiz (core) - Info: Unity is not supported by your hardware. Enabling software rendering instead (slow).
compiz (core) - Info: Unity is not supported by your hardware. Enabling software rendering instead (slow).
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: opengl
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: imgjpeg
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: imgjpeg
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: copytex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: copytex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: crashhandler
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: crashhandler
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: gnomecompat
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: gnomecompat
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: text
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: text
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: animation
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: animation
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: dbus
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: dbus
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/active_plugins
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/audible_bell
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/ignore_hints_when_maximized
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/hide_skip_taskbar_windows
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/edge_delay
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/ping_delay
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/default_icon
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/do_serialize
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/overlapping_outputs
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/detect_outputs
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/outputs
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/click_to_focus
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/raise_on_click
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/autoraise
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/autoraise_delay
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/focus_prevention_level
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/focus_prevention_match
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/close_window_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/close_window_button
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/raise_window_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/raise_window_button
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/lower_window_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/lower_window_button
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/minimize_window_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/minimize_window_button
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/maximize_window_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/unmaximize_window_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/unmaximize_or_minimize_window_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/maximize_window_horizontally_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/maximize_window_vertically_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/window_menu_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/window_menu_button
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/show_desktop_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/show_desktop_edge
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/toggle_window_maximized_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/toggle_window_maximized_button
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/toggle_window_maximized_horizontally_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/toggle_window_maximized_vertically_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/toggle_window_shaded_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/hsize
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/vsize
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/core/screen0/number_of_desktops
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: workarounds
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: workarounds
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: scale
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: scale
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: vpswitch
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: vpswitch
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: session
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: session
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/samuel/.compiz/session/105ca7531d3b9efbfa136589440132358500000004870030"
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: imgpng
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: imgpng
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: imgsvg
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: imgsvg
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: mousepoll
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: mousepoll
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: unitymtgrabhandles
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: unitymtgrabhandles
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: notification
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: notification
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: snap
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: snap
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: wall
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: wall
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ezoom
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ezoom
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: unityshell
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: unityshell

** (nm-applet:600): WARNING **: Could not find ShellVersion property on org.gnome.Shell after 5 tries

(epiphany:914): IBUS-WARNING **: Unable to connect to ibus: No se pudo conectar: Conexión rehusada

(epiphany:914): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_device_grab_add: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(epiphany:914): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_device_grab: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(epiphany:914): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_device_ungrab: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(epiphany:914): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_device_grab_remove: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

** (epiphany:914): CRITICAL **: is_public_domain: assertion `host' failed
** Message: console message: http://ubuntuforums.org/clientscript/vbulletin-core.js?v=420 @11: This browser is%s AJAX compatible

** Message: console message: http://ubuntuforums.org/clientscript/vbulletin-core.js?v=420 @11: Firing System Init

** Message: console message: http://ubuntuforums.org/clientscript/vbulletin-core.js?v=420 @11: Fire vB_XHTML_Ready

** Message: console message: http://ubuntuforums.org/clientscript/vbulletin-core.js?v=420 @11: Fetch Cookie :: %s (null)

** Message: console message: http://phoronix.com/forums/clientscript/vbulletin-core.js?v=420 @11: This browser is%s AJAX compatible

** Message: console message: http://phoronix.com/forums/clientscript/vbulletin-core.js?v=420 @11: Firing System Init

** Message: console message: http://phoronix.com/forums/clientscript/vbulletin-core.js?v=420 @11: Fire vB_XHTML_Ready

** Message: console message: http://phoronix.com/forums/clientscript/vbulletin-core.js?v=420 @11: Fetch Cookie :: %s (null)

** Message: console message:  @0: Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?60197-Doubling-your-performance-with-a-simple-trick from frame with URL http://www.phoronix.com/phxforums-thread-show.php. Domains, protocols and ports must match.

** Message: console message:  @0: Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?60197-Doubling-your-performance-with-a-simple-trick from frame with URL http://www.phoronix.com/phxforums-thread-show.php. Domains, protocols and ports must match.

** Message: console message:  @0: Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL http://www.phoronix.com/phxforums-thread-show.php from frame with URL http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?60197-Doubling-your-performance-with-a-simple-trick. Domains, protocols and ports must match.

(epiphany:914): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_device_grab_add: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(epiphany:914): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_device_grab: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(epiphany:914): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_device_ungrab: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(epiphany:914): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_device_grab_remove: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

** (epiphany:914): CRITICAL **: is_public_domain: assertion `host' failed
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ccm/Window.py:92: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  self.LeftPane.pack_start(page.LeftWidget,   True, True)
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ccm/Window.py:95: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  self.show_all()
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ccm/Widgets.py:1607: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  self._table.attach (button, col, col+1, row, row+1, 0, xpadding=TableX, ypadding=TableY)
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ccm/Widgets.py:1612: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  self.show_all ()

i no have any problems with gnome shell or kde4

and other question how i can complete change the lenguage of unity i have the system configure with my lenguage spanish, but some parts of unity persist on english

any ideas please

thanks

Last edited by samuaz (2013-04-13 23:33:26)

#1887 2013-04-14 18:18:47

oi_wtf

chenxiaolong wrote:

1. https://github.com/chenxiaolong/jenkins … n-cache.py

This script can clean up the pacman cache or any directory containing *.pkg.tar.xz packages, such as a repo. How is this different from "pacman -Sc"? It supports directories containing packages for multiple architectures and more importantly, it will not delete packages just because they aren't installed. All the script does is ensure that only the latest versions of packages exist.

2. The more interesting news: monthly Unity-for-Arch LiveCDs are now being built. The LiveCD is currently not installable yet (it will create a standard Arch installation), but it can give users a good idea of what to expect when running Unity under Arch smile

@ 1. I've always used the paccache script that comes with pacman for that purpose... afaik, it also supports both architectures, deletes uninstalled packages only if you want it to and also works on repos...
@ 2. Nice, as I said earlier, I've had the idea of working on a graphical installer,
it's nothing to be very proud of, yet, because I've never done a GUI using Gtk, but it might be a good base to work on...
also, it's not a real 'Unity Installer' but if you've got a unity-for-arch repo in your pacman.conf, you can easily select the unity group to be installed.
Anyway, this is what I've got so far:
https://github.com/brainpower/arch-installer

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-04-14 18:21:21)

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1888 2013-04-15 01:08:41

chenxiaolong

bubbathevtog wrote:

HOLY CRAP I didn't know that audio was an issue for us optimus users! Yeah I have full every thing out of the HDMI. Sound, Games, Video, extended desktop, single screen view on for output only, everything. Yeah aside from the optimus stuff everything works perfectly. The big known issue is that this is the laptop where if UEFI is enable and misconfigured the UEFI chip on the motherboard blows and turns the laptop into a brick (see here and here), much like what you have probably already experienced. Though there is the "legacy bios" mode in the bios that I just leave on, AND WILL NEVER TURN IT OFF. Other than that the only 2 things I have to complain about is that the FN keys for the keyboard back-lights don't work (which I just went into the system and set it manually), though with the 3.6 and above kernel the light sensors to turn them on and off work now. Also fan control button doesn't work out of the box, their is a package in the AUR (samsung-laptop-tools, "something"-slowdown-manager) that enables that under gnome, kde, and Ubuntu, though not under unity for arch....:P of course (Edit Fan Control Works now!!!).

The only thing that I would change, and have, is swaping out the HDD for a SSD. I replaced the 750gb HDD with a Crucial M4 128GB SSD. This thing FLIES after that. I have something like a 5 second boot time, including the bios splash screen.
As far as battery life, apparently this thing will get 8hrs on winblows (according to the website ptffff). Under Ubuntu I was getting about 3-4 consistantly with Bumblebee configured, but under Arch I consistantly get about 5hrs.

Darn, just hit the home button and lost the whole post smile

Anyway, thank you so much for this information! This is the kind of stuff you can't find in reviews. It's nice to see that all the hardware is supported one way or another. And wow, 5 second boot time? My dead Lenovo took 10 seconds to show the BIOS logo and another 5 seconds to reach the bootloader. Only then does my Samsung 830 SSD start to fly tongue

I'm actually surprised that Arch has a higher battery life compared to Ubuntu. Debian and Ubuntu made some power management tweaks that increased battery life for many laptops (which is why I created pm-utils-debian in the AUR). But if the laptop gets better battery life without tweaks, even better! Glad to hear that the battery is consistent too. My Lenovo battery was manufactured by LG (don't even get me started on them) and it sometimes lasted 7 hours, sometimes 3 hours, just idling.

bubbathevtog wrote:

Also since I know your shopping for a new laptop, my model (the one with 1gb of ddr5 video ram) and the model above it (2gb ddr5 video ram) were just discontinued to be replaced by a much more powerful AMD gpu. I've never ran AMD under LInux but I've heard it's not good. So you might be able to pick one of these up cheap. I payed $1350 for mine, but I had to order it from Amazon even though Best Buy was selling the next model up for cheaper since I live 100 miles from the closest town, and about 400 miles from the closest electronics store, and even further from a Best Buy. I've seen it advertised for about $1000 though.

Well, that's a bit unfortunate. If I was going to use Ubuntu, I might consider it. Arch and AMD just don't mix well. You have a distro with cutting edge software combined with drivers by a company that only supports outdated crap. Hopefully, the next generation will have NVIDIA chips again smile

bubbathevtog wrote:

Let me know if there is anything else specific about it you would like to know, I do owe you one for your work.

That was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the information!

#1889 2013-04-15 01:35:44

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:

@ 1. I've always used the paccache script that comes with pacman for that purpose... afaik, it also supports both architectures, deletes uninstalled packages only if you want it to and also works on repos...

Yeah...if only i found that before writing the script...

oi_wtf wrote:

@ 2. Nice, as I said earlier, I've had the idea of working on a graphical installer,
it's nothing to be very proud of, yet, because I've never done a GUI using Gtk, but it might be a good base to work on...
also, it's not a real 'Unity Installer' but if you've got a unity-for-arch repo in your pacman.conf, you can easily select the unity group to be installed.
Anyway, this is what I've got so far:
https://github.com/brainpower/arch-installer

Nice! I've also been writing an installer for the past few days, but I gave up. I was working on a traditional LiveCD installer, like

1. Select language
2. Select keyboard layout
3. Create users
4. Set hostname
5. Partitioning
6. Unsquashfs the LiveCD filesystem
7. Post-install scriptlets
8. Removal of LiveCD-specific packages
9. Install bootloader

I ran into many issues trying to make this work without any hacks, namely

* Proper displaying of locales using the ISO 639-1 list instead of ugly parsing of /etc/locale.gen
* Proper handling of timezones using the zoneinfo databases instead of "find /usr/share/zoneinfo -type d -whatever"
* Proper regular expressions for valid usernames, full names, hostnames (and FQDNs)
* Proper handling of different partition setups (eg. btrfs subvolumes where the root is not '/')
* Proper detection of disks and partitions using parted and udisks
* Proper handling of coreboot/BIOS/UEFI
EDIT: * Proper multithreading to not hang the UI

Now I know why distros almost never rewrite their installers. It's really hard to handle all the different scenarios without hacks. So...after "rm -rf"-ing my installer, I looked at installers for other distros:

* Fedora's anaconda: Probably the most adaptable to distros other than Fedora. I didn't look at the source code though, since Fedora 18's Anaconda GUI is horrible. EDIT: Not too hard to port, but user creation needs to be done after installation.
* Ubuntu's ubiquity: Nice code, but is extremely dependant on Debian's internals. All user interaction is done with debconf.
* Mandriva/Mageia's live installer: Call me stupid, but I couldn't find the source code.
* Manjaro's live-installer: I've started a fork of this, although I don't know if I'll use it. It looks nice graphically, but the code is FULL OF HACKS with many things hardcoded. Take a look at http://git.manjaro.org/core/live-instal … py#line341 from line 341 to 525.
* Cinnarch's Cnchi: Haven't taken a look at the code yet: https://github.com/cinnarch/Cnchi EDIT: Shouldn't be too hard to port.

I took a look at your installer and it looks really good for initial code big_smile I've never written GTK anything either. (+ it looks a lot cleaner than my ugly mess tongue) One thing that I'm wondering: will your final code unsquashfs the LiveCD filesystem so nothing else needs to be downloaded?

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-04-15 03:08:53)

#1890 2013-04-15 09:07:52

oi_wtf

chenxiaolong wrote:

I took a look at your installer and it looks really good for initial code big_smile I've never written GTK anything either. (+ it looks a lot cleaner than my ugly mess tongue) One thing that I'm wondering: will your final code unsquashfs the LiveCD filesystem so nothing else needs to be downloaded?

Well, I kind of like the way with pacstrap and pacman, but I could make it optional, so you can choose if you want to pacstrap or if you want to use unsqashfs, it shouldn't be that hard, should it?

Well, it's development will depend on my mood and freetime, so I don't know how much I can contribute to it.
If you want to work on it, I'll grant you commit access...

Cnchi looks pretty nice though...  from what I could see in the githup repo... it may work out of the box, too... I'll take a closer look when I get home from university...

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-04-15 12:30:43)

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1891 2013-04-15 10:08:31

dongongo

Hi! Is there a tool to create quicklist in Arch? And if so, what is it?

Sorry again for my english... smile

#1892 2013-04-15 16:07:07

chenxiaolong

dongongo wrote:

Is there a tool for this in Ubuntu? If there is, I can make it work in Arch smile

#1893 2013-04-15 23:57:19

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:

Well, I kind of like the way with pacstrap and pacman, but I could make it optional, so you can choose if you want to pacstrap or if you want to use unsqashfs, it shouldn't be that hard, should it?

Well, it's development will depend on my mood and freetime, so I don't know how much I can contribute to it.
If you want to work on it, I'll grant you commit access...

Cnchi looks pretty nice though...  from what I could see in the githup repo... it may work out of the box, too... I'll take a closer look when I get home from university...

True. I guess there are advantages to both ways. With pacstrap, any weird RAID0 + zfs + bootloader on PXE + whatever setup is supported. With unsquashfs, there's no need to download a few hundred MB of packages.

In the future, we could use your installer for the pacstrap method and Cnchi for the unsquashfs method smile I think I'll start with Cnchi first because, like you said, it'll probably work out of the box, and I have no computer to test on. (And no, Unity does not run on the Xen VM's 4MB emulated graphics tongue)

#1894 2013-04-16 03:17:33

sollidsnake

I just wanted to make a note here.

It's been over a year that I'm using unity under archlinux as my main and only desktop thanks to the efforts of the people in this topic. It provides me the desktop I like the most in the distro I like the most. It's really stable and might break only if you update something, but generally it's really to fix and makes you learn more. And the best is that everything works just as good as in ubuntu (or even better).

So I just wanted to say thank you to chenxiaolong and all the people engaged in this project smile

Non serviam

#1895 2013-04-16 07:47:14

dongongo

chenxiaolong wrote:
dongongo wrote:

Is there a tool for this in Ubuntu? If there is, I can make it work in Arch smile

Yes! For example QLE Unity Quicklist, MenuLibre... smile

#1896 2013-04-16 09:00:07

hiob

chenxiaolong wrote:

In the future, we could use your installer for the pacstrap method and Cnchi for the unsquashfs method smile I think I'll start with Cnchi first because, like you said, it'll probably work out of the box, and I have no computer to test on. (And no, Unity does not run on the Xen VM's 4MB emulated graphics tongue)

The downside of unsquashfs'ing the live-cd at boot is, that you need a lot of ram (namely the size of the extracted root-filesystem plus the ram needed for runnig it). There will be a clean solution (named overlayfs) in the 3.10-kernel to mount squashfs writable without extracting it completely: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … px=MTMyNzA

The usage is the same as for aufs (where you find more howtos for by now), but since linus approved it, it will be in the vanilla-kernel. You can use the ubuntu-Kernel to test it (I saw it in the 12.04-release).

#1897 2013-04-16 16:53:26

chenxiaolong

hiob wrote:

The downside of unsquashfs'ing the live-cd at boot is, that you need a lot of ram (namely the size of the extracted root-filesystem plus the ram needed for runnig it). There will be a clean solution (named overlayfs) in the 3.10-kernel to mount squashfs writable without extracting it completely: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … px=MTMyNzA

The usage is the same as for aufs (where you find more howtos for by now), but since linus approved it, it will be in the vanilla-kernel. You can use the ubuntu-Kernel to test it (I saw it in the 12.04-release).

I may not have expressed myself clearly. I meant using unsquashfs to create an Arch Linux w/Unity installation on a HDD, not extracting the filesystem to a ramdisk during a live session.

#1898 2013-04-16 20:36:03

chenxiaolong

sollidsnake wrote:

It's been over a year that I'm using unity under archlinux as my main and only desktop thanks to the efforts of the people in this topic. It provides me the desktop I like the most in the distro I like the most. It's really stable and might break only if you update something, but generally it's really to fix and makes you learn more. And the best is that everything works just as good as in ubuntu (or even better).

So I just wanted to say thank you to chenxiaolong and all the people engaged in this project smile

Wow, it has been that long already? I'm really glad you're still enjoying Unity on Arch big_smile

By the way, new updates for Nux and Unity are building now. It should have a few performance enhancements with regards to the dash smile

#1899 2013-04-16 20:38:11

chenxiaolong

dongongo wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
dongongo wrote:

Yes! For example QLE Unity Quicklist, MenuLibre... smile

MenuLibre is in the AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/menulibre/

I'll package QLE Unity Quicklist Editor and upload it to the AUR in a little bit smile

QLE is now in the AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/qle- … st-editor/

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-04-18 01:08:49)

#1900 2013-04-16 20:53:44

gianluca.pettinello

chenxiaolong wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:

Wow, it has been that long already? I'm really glad you're still enjoying Unity on Arch big_smile

By the way, new updates for Nux and Unity are building now. It should have a few performance enhancements with regards to the dash smile

I would like to join Sollidsnake in thanking the people in this thread, especially chenxiaolong. My experience is very close to what sollidsnake has said, with the difference that I moved recently to arch from ubuntu.
By the way is the branch gnome 3.8 actively developed, I mean the last updates are included?

Thanks again
Gianluca

Board footer