You are not logged in.

#201 2013-04-08 01:45:36

isacdaavid
Website

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

Half of the screen was completely covered with toolbars not kidding. The browser displayed more toolbars than actual webcontent.

That's the exact description of my programming teacher's browser. It's ironical how a certified Java programmer cannot remove those bars full of advertisement from IE. She even has duplicated toolbars lol

#202 2013-04-16 20:24:45

infested999

isacdaavid wrote:

Half of the screen was completely covered with toolbars not kidding. The browser displayed more toolbars than actual webcontent.

That's the exact description of my programming teacher's browser. It's ironical how a certified Java programmer cannot remove those bars full of advertisement from IE. She even has duplicated toolbars lol

http://i.imgur.com/FlMvH4q.jpg

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

#203 2013-04-18 19:11:30

teckk

Since I migrated to linux about 10 years ago, here are the things I've missed.

Viri, trojans, being part of a botnet, embedded executables in mail. I haven't been able to find any on this Arch box,

Having to call someone for a new license if I install another device, blue screens, bit rot, having to re-install once a year or so. I can't find the head office for Arch where I can beg for a License, no blue screens, the Arch box will runs for years without a re-install.

The machine slowing to a crawl while the hard drive thrashes for 90 seconds for whatever reason, uninstalling software buts it's config remaining in the registry, software installing without my permission.

Turning the machine on and then looking at an outbound port monitoring firewall to see that the machine is sending data to multiple addresses without my consent and without any kind of internet application open. Tcpdump -i eth0 says that the Linux box just sits there doing nothing until I load a web page.

Machine stops responding to something and the only way to fix it is to reboot, the machine and it's software using proprietary formats that nothing else will display the same. Unlike open source where it'll work on a supercomputer or toaster, and an Abiword or Libre document looks the same on any box that has Abiword or Libre running.

I miss using a machine not having a C compiler by default, no shell with a built in C interpreter, no ability to quickly bang together a shell script to do something, no jails, no open source boot loaders, no ability to recompile the kernel, no constantly updated software repository, a userbase that doesn't know which end of the mouse to hold, an OS that will only run on pricey proprietary hardware.

Go Penguin.

#204 2013-04-18 21:13:06

anonymous_user

teckk wrote:

uninstalling software buts it's config remaining in the registry

What about Linux programs that use dconf/gsettings to store preferences?

teckk wrote:

Turning the machine on and then looking at an outbound port monitoring firewall to see that the machine is sending data to multiple addresses without my consent and without any kind of internet application open. Tcpdump -i eth0 says that the Linux box just sits there doing nothing until I load a web page.

Whos to say this cannot happen with a Linux program? What if a program's default settings allows sending of data?

Last edited by anonymous_user (2013-04-18 21:13:21)

#205 2013-04-18 21:21:40

nomorewindows

anonymous_user wrote:
teckk wrote:

uninstalling software buts it's config remaining in the registry

teckk wrote:

Whos to say this cannot happen with a Linux program? What if a program's default settings allows sending of data?

This guy was starting to sound like he was having withdrawl from using non-Linux operating systems.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#206 2013-04-18 21:26:08

mangus

A Dota2 client tongue

#207 2013-04-19 03:49:22

isacdaavid
Website

Da fuq! Not that bloated but near to.

#208 2013-04-19 07:07:25

msthev

anonymous_user wrote:

Don't use such programs.

$ pacman -Q dconf gsettings-desktop-schemas
error: package 'dconf' was not found
error: package 'gsettings-desktop-schemas' was not found
anonymous_user wrote:

1. Here you can see everything that happens.
2. Most Linux programs are saner than those for Windows (they still suck, just less), and that makes this less likely to happen.

If you want to windowsify your Linux, then yes, it's possible — it's just not a requirement ; )

#209 2013-04-19 08:41:07

hadrons123

I miss this application badly.
Its zillion times better than google desktop search.
http://www.voidtools.com/

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#210 2013-04-19 15:02:14

anonymous_user

msthev wrote:

Don't use such programs.

Do the same with Windows programs wink

msthev wrote:

1. Here you can see everything that happens.

Do you mean using network utilities like netstat? You can do the same with Windows.

#211 2013-04-19 17:03:30

x33a
Forum Fellow

anonymous_user wrote:
msthev wrote:

Don't use such programs.

+1. Windows has a lot of good quality open-source or freeware software with sane developers. You just have to search for the right ones.

#212 2013-04-19 17:47:48

null

hadrons123 wrote:

locate + GUI Frontend?

#213 2013-04-19 18:19:28

msthev

anonymous_user wrote:

x33a wrote:

+1. Windows has a lot of good quality open-source or freeware software with sane developers. You just have to search for the right ones.

What I meant is that I don't want those "bad" programs even installed on my system. In Linux (Arch specifically) I just install what I need. In Windows the best I can do is to install only sane programs, but the system itself already contains a lot of not sane ones, and they are not optional. Give me an option to uninstall the Registry and my argument will go away.

anonymous_user wrote:

Do you mean using network utilities like netstat? You can do the same with Windows.

Nope, I mean you can see what is being done in the system when it starts. Of course some things can be hidden in the code, but since it's almost exclusively open source, you can (technically) know everything about your system. On Windows — no such option.

@topic
Some functional and respected alternatives to GCC/glibc. There is virtually no competition in this field and GNU software is usually a little bit too bloated. But yeah, "patches welcome", I know…

#214 2013-04-20 02:05:29

koll apraas

@WonderWoofy

Actually, I guess I realy don't wish MS Office would be on Linux so much as its rediculous proprietary formats would be killed with fire.  Or at the very least, now that things work generally okay with the legacy MS formats in OO/LO, educate the world about how crappy it is to use the default "new and improved bullsh*t".
I can't blame people for using MS office, but they should at least know the BS tactics that are taking place to try and force it into maintaining its place as the office suite standard.
Personally, I just use vim most of the time.  I have LO installed for when I need it, and then there is always the Mac with office in times of true desparation, but turning to that is pretty rare.

I hope, I don't come across as an a**h**e in responding to you here.  I am not an MS fanboy or a Linux fan boy, I am a fanboy of what works, and with MS Off*ce well, whatever it may be it “works,” and the same case it is with W*rdp*rf*ct.  And when I say it works, I don't mean your run-of-the-mill document software work -- read  typing an e-mail or creation of a cursorily formatted document or what have you.  I mean specific functionalities such as autocorrects, reveal codes, et cetera ??.

Both these proprietary softwares mentioned above have functionalities that just are not present in not only open-source but in each other as well -- users  (real users) of the latter software have not found takers with MS Off*ce, because MS Off*ce just don't get those users' job done -- they couldn't, “in that specific instance,” be the office suite standard.  And for this specific “it works/ONly It WOrks,” reason you gotta give them credit.

When I say give credit, I believe in giving it where it's due as well; I don't mean to give a slap in the face of OO and/or LO chaps , they are doing work that is commendable , to say the least.  Consequently, slowly but surely, OO and/or LO is gaining ground as a very viable alternative to MS Off*ce (don't know if that's the case with  W*rdp*rf*ct though).
At least, specifically speaking with respect to the case of comparable functionalities between LO and MS Off*ce well, the autocorrects feature present in both softwares, LO had been wanting with regard to some aspect concerning the same, but that aspect has been attempted to be addressed in the recent release of LO.

Ultimately, people could care less about the tactics that you are mentioning, they want software that can help them do their job and thereby enable them in putting food on the table for their family. 

I believe, it is crucial that LO needs to, instead of “wholly copying MS Off*ce (I'm not alleging anything -- but I will admit that I would like to see certain stuff implemented though),” have its own unique selling proposition (oh, yeah, LO is free -- and I'm not being dismissive about that USP over here) with regard to indispensable functionality, just one really good USP is needed and then even if LO don't shoot MS out of the water with regard to functionality, it is going to NOT be ignored and will become a very strong contender too if there are going to be common functionalities in addition to the USP as well (Kill one very big MS **rd with two small stones).   Hey, W*rdp*rf*ct  held its own against MS **rd with its USP of reveal codes.  I just do not believe that the same cannot be achieved with respect to LO, especially if the OO and/or LO guys listen to the most important people, the end-user (yeah, I have not forgotten the LO guys are not getting paid, they got a day job, maybe two even, they got their personal life, BUt... … … hopefully, the ellipses are not too uncomfortable).

I apologize if I am coming across as a know-it-all b**t**d smile.

newbie Arch Linux user -- comparatively newbie Linux user with semblance of semblance of command-line literacy (don't ask, let's leave it at that) smile

P.S. Below average intelligence -- ooh almost foggot dat won neutral
more about me here - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1258325

#215 2013-04-20 02:08:57

koll apraas

@isacdaavid

blackout23 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
Leadership.
by Microsoft *ducks away*
Jokes aside I feel that linux is missing a good office suite. OO/LO is nice if you use it for your self and don't demand to much. But let's face it. 90% of all companies world wide probably use MS Office for their work and they require documents to look exactly the same when their partners open them as on their side. You can't just say "Sorry I'm using Open Office I can open your stuff but it looks horrible and the stuff I send you... god knows how it will look like..." Also if you use Excel like a professional you'll quickly see the shortcomings of Calc. If there was native MS Office for Linux I would buy it. Now people will say...but there are open standards! Microsoft should support them! Everyone should use them and it would be problem solved!...Yeah being able to eat all the Pizza you want and don't get fat would also be kind of nice... you know? Just not going to happen.
Why do you use GNU/Linux if you don't even like open standards just because they aren't mainstream? We do not need M$ Office at all (having 2 forks of the same office suite is enough, plus GNUmeric and Abiword). What we need is people to understand the benefits of open standards and to distribute their documents in platform-agnostic formats like PDF.

Uhm, I am going with a really bad analogy here, but why does one not quit college if one don't even like to go to college just because quitting college isn't mainstream? ­We need M$ Office as long as it is providing the functionality that we need and not necessarily any more than that. 

“What is needed is for uninformed people to understand the benefits of open standards and embrace the same, and for informed (read open source advocates and/or users) people to be even more informed, (more sympathetic too maybe) and less prejudiced and less dismissive of the functionality that the likes of M$ Off*ce provides (even though they purportedly perpetrate villainies in the process) to the uninformed people thereby enabling them to put food on the table for their family.  I also would like to say that I do not believe distributing documents in PDF format would be a good idea all the time, but you said “like PDF,” so I guess, there are other platform-agnostic formats that I have not gotten round to yet smile.

Last edited by koll apraas (2013-04-20 02:10:30)

newbie Arch Linux user -- comparatively newbie Linux user with semblance of semblance of command-line literacy (don't ask, let's leave it at that) smile

#216 2013-04-20 02:15:10

koll apraas

@jakobcreutzfeldt

The computer is the tool and the software is a means of using that tool. When people need to get something done, they use the tool in the appropriate way. If it doesn't work they way the need it to, then they change the way they use the tool.

If I may add, if the tool doesn't work the way they need it to they can also change the tool.

"Consumers" coming from Windows or Mac tend to expect to be told how they should use their tool, I think. They expect to be handed software that does everything perfectly, where "perfect" is defined by some well-funded corporation.

Perfect is also defined by the “immediate” meeting of the “immediate need” of the people with regard to enabling them “perfectly” in putting food on their table for their family smile

#217 2013-04-20 02:16:20

koll apraas

@drcouzelis

kaszak696 wrote:
eruditorum wrote:
Some opinions!
Your opinions are wrong!
Please keep in mind that this thread is, by definition, full of people's opinions. Opinions are never "wrong", they're just opinions.
And in my opinion Linux is missing an open source 3D first person shooter with a single player story mode. The multiplayer first person shooter games are fun to play with friends, but I don't have any friends.

I second that big_smile

#218 2013-04-20 02:18:42

koll apraas

@blackout23

nomorewindows wrote:
Linux is missing those elaborate install wizards.  You know those ones that require you to hit next, next, next even if you take all of the default settings?
You mean the ones where I have to be careful that I don't accidentally install some browser toolbar? I miss those.
Reminds me of a lecture I attended once. Guy in front of me started his webbrowser (IE) on his laptop. Half of the screen was completely covered with toolbars not kidding. The browser displayed more toolbars than actual webcontent.

Yes, I too feel Linux seems to be missing those elaborate install wizards, and by elaborate install wizards I mean, only those of which have “default, minimal, custom” install options (not many do, but still quite a few do too) where you can choose the install location, install size, features to be installed, et cetera.  I would love one in Linux, because in Linux, I will not be feeling a "false sense of security" by having used such an install wizard, and as a bonus my installation has been superbly and appropriately executed as well smile.

#219 2013-04-20 02:19:37

koll apraas

@x33a

anonymous_user wrote:
msthev wrote:
Don't use such programs.
Do the same with Windows programs

+1 smile

#220 2013-04-20 02:20:25

koll apraas

@null

hadrons123 wrote:
locate + GUI Frontend?

locate + GUI frontend, I apologize if I am being an a**h**e, but have you tried catfish yet? smile

#221 2013-04-20 08:25:32

Awebb

koll apraas wrote:

@null

hadrons123 wrote:
locate + GUI Frontend?

locate + GUI frontend, I apologize if I am being an a**h**e, but have you tried catfish yet? smile

Catfish is not very helpful. It's actually in my way, so on Linux, I simply use the terminal. I have yet to find a locate frontend for Linux, that could compete with locate32, which is sad, because it's really just locate for win32 with a nice gui.

#222 2013-04-20 13:01:26

nomorewindows

Awebb wrote:
koll apraas wrote:

@null

hadrons123 wrote:
locate + GUI Frontend?

Catfish is not very helpful. It's actually in my way, so on Linux, I simply use the terminal. I have yet to find a locate frontend for Linux, that could compete with locate32, which is sad, because it's really just locate for win32 with a nice gui.

I guess you could just 'wine' about it.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#223 2013-04-20 14:54:51

hadrons123

'wine' about what?

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#224 2013-04-20 15:36:43

nomorewindows

hadrons123 wrote:

'wine' about what?

Awebb could use wine to run the win32 gui version of locate32.

Look ma, no mouse.

#225 2013-04-20 16:48:06

dodo3773

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Consistent package naming following upstream naming between distros would be nice.

This ^^

Also, a gui for editing mimetypes would be nice. Surprised one doesn't exist already.

Board footer