You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-01 17:38:39

sud_crow
Website

Apache, name based virtual hosts and multiple servers.

Hi,

Ive been playing with Apache and name-based virtual hosts for a while now, but, ive been doing it with one single server... now i have the need to forward a name-based request to another server inside the intranet (wich doesnt have a public IP, but a private)...

Something like this:

internet -----> Webserver (name based vhosts) ----> intranet-webserver

Where "webserver" has several domains resolved via name based virtual hosting, and one of those needs to be redirected (or forwarded) to another server on the LAN.

Any ideas on how to do this? i tryed searching the web, but i dont know under which keywords, so i always end on single server virtual hosting help sites.

thanks in advance!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#2 2005-12-01 18:14:59

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Apache, name based virtual hosts and multiple servers.

you need to define a virtual server for it..but inside that definition.. define a proxy.

Then the middle webserver, will actually handle the request to the intranet server, on behalf of the internet client..and then pass the traffic to the internet client.

this looks like a reasonable example..

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/March … le147.html

namely, the section "Mapping Virtual Servers"

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-12-02 01:29:04

sud_crow
Website

Re: Apache, name based virtual hosts and multiple servers.

As usual, thanks cactus!!!

I think that will do... i guess mapping was the term i was missing... im going to try and look a bit more about mod_proxy at the apache site.

Thanks again!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

Board footer