You are not logged in.

#1926 2013-04-23 08:23:21

chenxiaolong

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

GNOME 3.8 Info

Unity should start and run properly in GNOME 3.8 now! http://i.imgur.com/kp1d1Ch.png

Current issues:

- GNOME Terminal doesn't put its menubar in the panel (other GTK 3 apps do)
- No Unity-specific appearance settings because of no libgnome-control-center (gnome-control-center-unity will fail to compile)
- No Unity-specific time & date settings because of no libgnome-control-center
- No Unity-specific sound settings because Ubuntu hasn't ported it yet

The changelog can be found by running:

git log 941fd77..20039b2

People using my testing repo should wait until all the packages are finished building (http://cxl.epac.to:8091). People building from source should recompile all the packages in the order listed in the README. For best results, update to GNOME 3.8 first, then build the packages in a TTY or SSH session.

Let's hope that there are no more problems...I've never spent 11 straight hours trying to get Unity to work properly. Don't think I've ever stayed up past 4:20 AM either tongue Don't be surprised if my PKGBUILDs are a little sloppier than normal smile

Most of the pain was due to removed or changed components in GNOME 3.8. However, I don't know what Ubuntu developers are thinking sometimes. My point: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … _Fix.patch

That's like trying to match:

int add(int a, int b) {
  return a + b;
}

in the source code with

float add(int a);

in the header file. How it ever compiled before will remain a mystery to me.

#1927 2013-04-23 09:01:01

samuaz

thanks @chenxiaolong

right now i finish to clean all and get gnome 3.8 works, for me gnome 3.8 dont start because the package gtk3-ubuntu (ver 3.6) so i make a pacman -Rnsc gtk3-ubuntu for clean all unity things and also all gnome things, clean all pacman cache and after that i reinstall gnome 3.8.1 and its works but gdm not works so i remove gdm and install lightdm with that i have right now gnome 3.8.1 working,

now i try to install your update unity for 3.8.1

this gnome 3.8 its a disaster day for archlinux

Last edited by samuaz (2013-04-23 09:01:52)

#1928 2013-04-23 17:43:13

gianluca.pettinello

Yes gnome 3.8.1 works for me as well. Gtk3 is the package that breaks everything if not the right version.

#1929 2013-04-23 18:43:29

samuaz

I do the install but for my side no works now gnome and unity are complete broken, after install i have a fresh gnome 3.8.1 installed and working. sad

EDIT: apparently i have no updated packages so clean pacman cache and make a update a right now are installing updates like gtk-ubuntu 3.8.1 letme try...

Last edited by samuaz (2013-04-23 18:49:59)

#1930 2013-04-23 18:53:50

bubbathevtog

samuaz wrote:

I do the install but for my side no works now gnome and unity are complete broken, after install i have a fresh gnome 3.8.1 installed and working. sad

EDIT: apparently i have no updated packages so clean pacman cache and make a update a right now are installing updates like gtk-ubuntu 3.8.1 letme try...

If your installing from the Repo it hasn't finished yet.

#1931 2013-04-23 20:50:44

gianluca.pettinello

I'm going on installing Unity. Everything ofr the time being working.
gnome-control-center-unity doesn't compile as chen mentioned.
indicator-session didn't compile. Had to comment, in  PKGBUILD, the remove testservice folder

Now I'm compiling nux. From gnome 3.8.1

#1932 2013-04-23 20:58:24

gianluca.pettinello

gianluca.pettinello wrote:

indicator-session didn't compile. Had to comment, in  PKGBUILD, the remove testservice folder

Up to compiz-ubuntu without problems....

#1933 2013-04-23 21:10:43

qiuwei

chenxiaolong wrote:
GNOME 3.8 Info

Unity should start and run properly in GNOME 3.8 now! http://i.imgur.com/kp1d1Ch.png

Current issues:

- No Unity-specific appearance settings because of no libgnome-control-center (gnome-control-center-unity will fail to compile)

Great job! Thanks!

I Found that the desktop background doesn't work anymore. I remembered that nautilus has dropped the support of desktop background. Is it due to that?

#1934 2013-04-23 21:26:17

chenxiaolong

gianluca.pettinello wrote:

Thanks, I've fixed the indicator-session package. /test-service doesn't always get built, but if it does, I need to remove it.

#1935 2013-04-23 21:28:09

chenxiaolong

qiuwei wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
GNOME 3.8 Info

Current issues:

Great job! Thanks!

I Found that the desktop background doesn't work anymore. I remembered that nautilus has dropped the support of desktop background. Is it due to that?

No problem!

I'll see if I can add the background support back to nautilus. I'm surprised the GNOME 3 PPA maintainers didn't do that already.

#1936 2013-04-23 21:31:39

chenxiaolong

Sorry to everyone for the slow repo rebuild. Quite a few of the packages had missing dependencies causing the build to fail. All that's left now is gnome-control-center-ubuntu and libindicate. Hopefully those will build fine smile

#1937 2013-04-23 21:32:42

mieLouk

Apparently I updated in the worst moment, earlier.

Now, I waited till your Repo had been finished. The update didn't really help to rescue my system. When I start up and login, I see the desktop for a splitsecond, then just a blinding whitescreen. Resetting compiz didn't help.

Any suggestions on how to save the installation? Is it save to update the other machine?

Last edited by mieLouk (2013-04-23 21:39:06)

#1938 2013-04-23 22:01:55

qiuwei

@chenxiaolong,

Maybe you will found this useful to make the background work again. I
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/+bug/1159430

I don't understand why nautilus is dropping a lot of features.

#1939 2013-04-23 23:22:42

samuaz

hi i trying to do a new round i have a clean install already in gnome 3.8.1 working

but problem installing unity:

[samuel @ samuel-laptop ~] $ sudo pacman -S $(pacman -Slq Unity-for-Arch)
resolving dependencies ...
attention: dependency loop detected:
attention: credentials-preferences-ubuntu will be installed before its dependency gnome-control-center-ubuntu
attention: gnome-control-center-ubuntu will be installed before its dependency gnome-control-center-ubuntu
Conflict checking ...
error were detected conflicts resolvable packets
Error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: Credentials-preferences-ubuntu and gnome-control-center-ubuntu are in conflict

Last edited by samuaz (2013-04-23 23:23:30)

#1940 2013-04-24 00:03:21

chenxiaolong

mieLouk wrote:

Apparently I updated in the worst moment, earlier.

Now, I waited till your Repo had been finished. The update didn't really help to rescue my system. When I start up and login, I see the desktop for a splitsecond, then just a blinding whitescreen. Resetting compiz didn't help.

Any suggestions on how to save the installation? Is it save to update the other machine?

Could you post your ~/.xsession-errors file (while you're logged into the whitescreen)? I don't recommend updating your other computer until the first one works smile

#1941 2013-04-24 00:06:26

chenxiaolong

qiuwei wrote:

@chenxiaolong,

Thanks for the link! I think I'll just revert the change instead of using the Compiz wallpaper plugin mentioned in the bug report.

The GNOME developers are basically dropping all features unrelated to gnome-shell. Now that gnome-shell can draw its own wallpaper, they removed the functionality from nautilus and gnome-settings-daemon sad

EDIT: Nope, I'm going to have to use workarounds. I don't want to package gnome-desktop-ubuntu and a whole bunch of other packages just to get the desktop background back.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-04-24 02:40:53)

#1942 2013-04-24 00:07:46

chenxiaolong

samuaz wrote:

hi i trying to do a new round i have a clean install already in gnome 3.8.1 working

but problem installing unity:

[samuel @ samuel-laptop ~] $ sudo pacman -S $(pacman -Slq Unity-for-Arch)
resolving dependencies ...
attention: credentials-preferences-ubuntu will be installed before its dependency gnome-control-center-ubuntu
attention: gnome-control-center-ubuntu will be installed before its dependency gnome-control-center-ubuntu
Conflict checking ...
error were detected conflicts resolvable packets
Error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: Credentials-preferences-ubuntu and gnome-control-center-ubuntu are in conflict

The issue should be fixed now. Can you try again?

#1943 2013-04-24 00:10:45

chenxiaolong

I'm building a LiveCD right now with all this new stuff so I can see what's working and what's not. I'd appreciate it if anyone wants to help test smile

Build process: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/job/UFALCD-2.0- … /5/console
ISO: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec … x86_64.iso

By the way, does anyone (except me) have Unity working with GNOME 3.8 right now?

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-04-24 03:47:56)

#1944 2013-04-24 01:12:51

samuaz

@chenxiaolong

trying giveme 10 minutes for report if all works

Ok report:

Lightdm-ubuntu freezed at start only show The wallpaper with TVE archlinux and in the center a ubuntu logo, so i install gdm with gdm you can login and unity start but for my side no mouse and looks like it bits frezeed

I going to make some things for try to start it wait forma report2

REPORT 2:

ok i writing this from unity, the problems and workaround are:

1. lightdm-ubuntu freeze at the start only show the wallpaper with the archlinux text in the left and in the middle center the ubuntu logo but not response so for start the session you need to install lightdm from official repo, or gdm.
2. now you can start the unity session the ui start but no mouse and not response (only keyboard response) but the system its like freeze (i sure this problem its get from gnome 3.8 because for my happen the same with official gnome 3.8)
3. for get the unity session works you need to do: start other console (alt+f1,2,3,4 etc) delete or rename the ,config .local .cache .compiz folders mv .config config2 mv .local local2 mv .cache cache2 mv .compiz compiz2
reboot, sudo reboot
4. after the system reboot, before to start unity session again, first start gnome session, when gnome start also you get a freeze system, only wallpaper not mouse or ui, SO press f1 and WUALA the ui start and you get mouse etc, so logout and start unity session and wuala unity works!!

REPORT 3:

for the problem of the wallpaper, use the compiz plugin wallpaper and wuala you have wallpaper

REPORT 4:

keyboard media keys not work

Last edited by samuaz (2013-04-24 03:45:17)

#1945 2013-04-24 04:20:30

chenxiaolong

samuaz wrote:

@chenxiaolong

trying giveme 10 minutes for report if all works

Thanks a lot for the testing!

samuaz wrote:

Ok report:

Lightdm-ubuntu freezed at start only show The wallpaper with TVE archlinux and in the center a ubuntu logo, so i install gdm with gdm you can login and unity start but for my side no mouse and looks like it bits frezeed

I going to make some things for try to start it wait forma report2

REPORT 2:

ok i writing this from unity, the problems and workaround are:

1. lightdm-ubuntu freeze at the start only show the wallpaper with the archlinux text in the left and in the middle center the ubuntu logo but not response so for start the session you need to install lightdm from official repo, or gdm.

There must be something wrong here. LightDM does not depend on anything GNOME 3.6 or 3.8 specific. It should work perfectly without recompiling. The only thing I can think of that would break LightDM is not fully updating/compiling the new packages.

samuaz wrote:

2. now you can start the unity session the ui start but no mouse and not response (only keyboard response) but the system its like freeze (i sure this problem its get from gnome 3.8 because for my happen the same with official gnome 3.8)
3. for get the unity session works you need to do: start other console (alt+f1,2,3,4 etc) delete or rename the ,config .local .cache .compiz folders mv .config config2 mv .local local2 mv .cache cache2 mv .compiz compiz2
reboot, sudo reboot
4. after the system reboot, before to start unity session again, first start gnome session, when gnome start also you get a freeze system, only wallpaper not mouse or ui, SO press f1 and WUALA the ui start and you get mouse etc, so logout and start unity session and wuala unity works!!

REPORT 4:

keyboard media keys not work

This definitely sounds like not everything was updated. Is gnome-settings-daemon started when you log in?

ps aux | grep gnome-settings-daemon

Could you post your ~/.xsession-errors file also?

REPORT 3:

samuaz wrote:

for the problem of the wallpaper, use the compiz plugin wallpaper and wuala you have wallpaper

Good to know, thanks! For the record, disabling the nautilus desktop in gnome-tweak-tool also works, but you'll lose the desktop.

#1946 2013-04-24 05:25:01

samuaz

chenxiaolong wrote:

This definitely sounds like not everything was updated. Is gnome-settings-daemon started when you log in?

[samuel@samuel-laptop ~]$ ps aux | grep gnome-settings-daemon
samuel   24023  3.2  0.5 746968 21824 ?        Sl   23:14   0:00 /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon
samuel   24049  0.0  0.1 449320  6796 ?        Sl   23:14   0:00 /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-printer
samuel   24690  0.0  0.0  10680  1100 pts/0    S+   23:15   0:00 grep gnome-settings-daemon

** (gnome-session-check-accelerated:23994): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (gnome-session:23966): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (gnome-settings-daemon:24023): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {3e022bd8c02e4069906ac6c24e4bc196}unix:/run/user/1000/pulse/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper.
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ccp
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ccp
+ dconf load /com/canonical/unity/
+ dconf dump /desktop/unity/
+ dconf reset -f /desktop/unity/

(gnome-settings-daemon:24023): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: composite

(zeitgeist-datahub:24075): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(zeitgeist-datahub:24075): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

** (zeitgeist-datahub:24075): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/samuel/M%C3%BAsica/2Pac%20feat.%20Elthon%20John%20-%2002%202Pac%20feat.%20Elthon%20John%20-%20.mp3" was not found, exec: Banshee, mime_type: audio/mpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:24075): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/samuel/M%C3%BAsica" was not found, exec: Banshee, mime_type: inode/directory

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:24069): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (nm-applet:24054): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (evolution-alarm-notify:24061): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (nautilus:24076): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: opengl
compiz (core) - Info: Unity is not supported by your hardware. Enabling software rendering instead (slow).
compiz (core) - Info: Unity is not supported by your hardware. Enabling software rendering instead (slow).
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: opengl
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: imgjpeg
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: imgjpeg
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: decor
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: vpswitch
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: vpswitch
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: copytex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: copytex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: imgpng
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: imgpng
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: firepaint
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: firepaint
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: gnomecompat
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: gnomecompat
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: mousepoll
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: mousepoll
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: snap
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: snap
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: wallpaper

** (nm-applet:24054): WARNING **: Error connecting to ModemManager: Error al llamar StartSereviceByName para org.freedesktop.ModemManager1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service' for details.
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: wallpaper
compiz (wallpaper) - Warn: Malformed option

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-application-handlers

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-command-line

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-log-out

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-print-setup

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-printing

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-save-to-disk

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: user-administration-disabled

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: color-shading-type

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: picture-opacity

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: picture-options

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: picture-uri

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: primary-color

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: secondary-color

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: show-full-name-in-top-bar

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: show-notifications

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: ubuntu-lock-on-suspend

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-application-handlers

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-command-line

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-log-out

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-print-setup

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-printing

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-save-to-disk

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: user-administration-disabled

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: color-shading-type

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: picture-opacity

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: picture-options

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: secondary-color

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: show-full-name-in-top-bar

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: show-notifications

** (gnome-screensaver:24053): WARNING **: Config key not handled: ubuntu-lock-on-suspend

compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: unitymtgrabhandles
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: unitymtgrabhandles
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: session
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: session
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/samuel/.compiz/session/10f9d5cbfd436259301366780494207200000239660001"
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: wall
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: wall
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: animation
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: animation

(gnome-settings-daemon:24023): color-plugin-WARNING **: unable to get EDID for xrandr-LVDS1: unable to get EDID for output
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: workarounds
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: workarounds
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: fade
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: fade
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ezoom
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ezoom
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: scale
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: scale
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: unityshell
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: unityshell

** (compiz:24040): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: scalefilter
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: scalefilter
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: scaleaddon
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: scaleaddon
compiz (core) - Error: Plugin 'text' not loaded.

compiz (scaleaddon) - Info: Text Plugin not loaded, no text will be drawn.
compiz (core) - Warn: Attempted to restack relative to 0x2c00001 which is not a child of the root window or a window compiz owns

** (nm-applet:24054): WARNING **: Could not find ShellVersion property on org.gnome.Shell after 5 tries

** (gnome-terminal:24670): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (gedit:26610): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(nautilus:24076): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_foreach: assertion `version == hash_table->version' failed

** (zeitgeist-datahub:24075): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/samuel/M%C3%BAsica/2Pac%20feat.%20Elthon%20John%20-%2002%202Pac%20feat.%20Elthon%20John%20-%20.mp3" was not found, exec: Banshee, mime_type: audio/mpeg

** (zeitgeist-datahub:24075): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:132: Desktop file for "file:///home/samuel/M%C3%BAsica" was not found, exec: Banshee, mime_type: inode/directory
java version "1.7.0_21"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (ArchLinux build 7.u17_2.3.9-1-x86_64)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)

(gnome-settings-daemon:24023): color-plugin-WARNING **: unable to get EDID for xrandr-LVDS1: unable to get EDID for output

** (gedit:27852): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

i found this related to gnome 3.8 and the media keys https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/34905

#1947 2013-04-24 06:08:23

oi_wtf

qiuwei wrote:

@chenxiaolong,

That's why I'm using nemo, a nautilus fork by linux mint, for quite a while now.
You'd need to use the nemo-git from aur though, as the version of nemo in [community] does not work well with gnome 3.8, yet.

chenxiaolong wrote:

By the way, does anyone (except me) have Unity working with GNOME 3.8 right now?

Yes, me.
I haven't stumbled over anything not working, which is not known already, yet, but, like always, I'll tell you as soon as I notice something.

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-04-24 06:31:22)

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#1948 2013-04-24 06:34:12

chenxiaolong

samuaz wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

[samuel@samuel-laptop ~]$ ps aux | grep gnome-settings-daemon
samuel   24023  3.2  0.5 746968 21824 ?        Sl   23:14   0:00 /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon
samuel   24049  0.0  0.1 449320  6796 ?        Sl   23:14   0:00 /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-printer
samuel   24690  0.0  0.0  10680  1100 pts/0    S+   23:15   0:00 grep gnome-settings-daemon

lots of stuff

i found this related to gnome 3.8 and the media keys https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/34905

Hmm...I don't see anything wrong in there. Does Unity work fine other than needing workarounds?

I should be able to "fix" the media keys issue tomorrow smile

#1949 2013-04-24 06:38:01

chenxiaolong

Nautilus-ubuntu has background support again!

Commit: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … 1a36c984e5
Screenshots: http://i.imgur.com/x3mXpI1.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/AyI2tMi.png

As of now, Unity with GNOME 3.8 should be almost perfect. The currently known issues are:

* No Unity-specific appearance settings in GNOME control center
* No Unity-specific sound settings in GNOME control center
* Right-click desktop > Change desktop background will cause GNOME control center to glitch
* Media keys aren't working (should be an easy fix)
* Doubled menus in GNOME terminal
* No overlay scrollbar in GNOME terminal & GNOME control center

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-04-24 06:41:30)

#1950 2013-04-24 06:44:47

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:

That's why I'm using nemo, a nautilus fork by linux mint, for quite a while now.
You'd need to use the nemo-git from aur though, as the version of nemo in [community] does not work well with gnome 3.8, yet.

Nemo is currently based on Nautilus 3.6. I wonder if they're going to merge changes from gnome-shell and nautilus 3.8 or if they're going to diverge even more. If they start drawing the desktop background with Cinnamon, then we'll end up in the same situation.

Btw, I just reverted the commits that removed background support in nautilus-ubuntu. If you prefer nautilus, that should be usable now.

oi_wtf wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Yes, me.
I haven't stumbled over anything not working, which is not known already, yet, but, like always, I'll tell you as soon as I notice something.

Awesome, thanks!

Board footer