You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-29 22:16:56

ov-ov

xinit неверно запускает twm

Ввожу xinit - отображается неподвижное окно xterm без заголовка, правда рабочее, меню не выводится. Ввожу startx - всё идельно, как прописано в xinitrc: три окна терминала и часы, окна перемещаемые, с заголовком, меню тоже работает. Чего не хватает xinit-у?

I enter "xinit" - the motionless window xterm without heading is displayed, the truth working, the menu is not deduced. I enter "startx" - all ideally as it is registered in xinitrc: three windows of the terminal and hours, windows moved, with heading, the menu too works. That does not suffice xinit?

Last edited by ov-ov (2013-04-30 00:18:05)

#2 2013-04-29 22:37:53

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: xinit неверно запускает twm

please do not post any language other than english in the main forums. There is an Other Languages forum just for that. Moving....

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2013-04-29 23:33:39

ewaller
Administrator

Based on the translation from Russian, courtesy of Google translate:

I suspect you do not have a ~/.xixitrc, so the system is using the default /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.  That opens three xterm windows, and a clock under the twm window manager.

You need to create your own ~/.xinitrc to start the environment of your choice.  See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Startx

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2013-04-30 00:02:19

ov-ov

Я согласен, пусть по умолчанию X читает /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc и запускает twm  = 3 терминала + часы. Но почему команда "startx" делает это идеально, а "xinit" неверно?
I agree, let by default X reads /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and starts twm = 3 terminals + hours. But why the command "startx" does it ideally, and "xinit" it is incorrect?

#5 2013-04-30 00:21:55

ewaller
Administrator

That translated as

I agree, let the default X reads / etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and runs twm = Terminal 3 + hours. But why "startx" command makes it an ideal and "xinit" false?
I agree, let by default X reads / etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and starts twm = 3 terminals + hours. But why the command "startx" does it ideally, and "xinit" it is incorrect?

I am sorry, I cannot parse that.

I think you are asking why startx and xinit have different behavior.  I know that startx is a user friendly front end to xinit.  I cannot help with the details.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2013-05-02 17:05:14

alexanderthegre

ewaller wrote:

That translated as

I agree, let the default X reads / etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and runs twm = Terminal 3 + hours. But why "startx" command makes it an ideal and "xinit" false?
I agree, let by default X reads / etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and starts twm = 3 terminals + hours. But why the command "startx" does it ideally, and "xinit" it is incorrect?

I am sorry, I cannot parse that.

I think you are asking why startx and xinit have different behavior.  I know that startx is a user friendly front end to xinit.  I cannot help with the details.

Google translate's russian is very bad. The word that is translated as "hours" also means "clock", and the word translated as "ideally" could also mean "correctly".
Thus, he wants to know why 'xinit' doesn't read his .xinitrc.

@OP:
xinit некогда не читат вашу .xinitrc, а startx читат.

xinit never reads your .xinitrc, while startx does.

#7 2013-05-03 02:15:04

dimich

ov-ov wrote:

Ввожу xinit - отображается неподвижное окно xterm без заголовка, правда рабочее, меню не выводится. Ввожу startx - всё идельно, как прописано в xinitrc: три окна терминала и часы, окна перемещаемые, с заголовком, меню тоже работает. Чего не хватает xinit-у?

Это документированное поведение. Согласно man xinit:

If no specific client program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xinitrc to run as  a shell script to start up client programs.  If no such file exists, xinit will use the following as a default:
            xterm  -geometry  +1+1  -n  login  -display  :0

То есть xinit умеет читать только пользовательский .xinitrc, а о системном /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ничего не знает.

Если зачем-то нужно запустить системный xinitrc именно с помощью xinit, укажи его явно:

$ xinit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Board footer