You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-29 20:09:54

natsukurenai

[SOLVED]Desktop Environment/Display Manager not loading at boot

So I installed Arch on my laptop, following the Beginner's Guide on the Wiki. I successfully installed X and it works with no issues, so I moved on to the next step, installing a Desktop Environment. I decided to go with KDE and installed it, and chose to use KDM for a Display Manager. Everything installed successfully, but upon rebooting, the system booted back into the base, completely ignoring KDE. I have looked on the wiki, through the forums, and on the web in general for a potential solution, but have found nothing that helps with this problem in particular. I am unsure of where to go from here. Could somebody point me toward a place to start?

Last edited by natsukurenai (2013-08-16 15:02:12)

#2 2013-04-29 20:28:10

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]Desktop Environment/Display Manager not loading at boot

now that you are logged in to the local system try to comb the pacman log and see what all got installed.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2013-04-29 20:32:35

zezhyrule3

did you systemctl enable kdm?

- dots -

#4 2013-04-29 21:18:17

georgi-it

systemctl enable kde.service

#5 2013-04-30 04:30:08

natsukurenai

I looked through the log, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I assume I was looking for anything that didn't install correctly, but I could be entirely wrong. Nothing failed to install anyway. Am I on the right track, or did I misunderstand the point of looking at the pacman log?

As for enabling the KDM service, I did enable it, before I rebooted for the first time after setup. It still booted as if I had no DE installed.

#6 2013-04-30 04:38:42

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

post the output of

systemctl list-units

make sure you use code tags when posting the output

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2013-05-04 21:05:32

ubunchu

--to start manually: --
sudo systemctl start kdm
--to find problem--
sudo su
systemctl status kdm
---if it is enabled but dead--
systemctl disable multi-user.target
systemctl enable graphical.target
reboot
--still does not start? give us:--
sudo systemctl status kdm

This was my problem, it was enabled but did not start: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=160501
Good luck.

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED].

#8 2013-06-23 05:54:31

natsukurenai

Sadly, I was forced to drop Arch for the time being. Unfortunately, I needed to switch back to Windows temporarily for reasons I do not feel like expanding on. I was hoping to be able to reattempt the Arch installation after about a week or so, but that has been impossible, and looks like it may not be possible for at least another month from today. So, while this problem was regrettably not solved, I thank you all for your assistance.

#9 2013-08-16 15:02:27

natsukurenai

Further update: I finally was able to reinstall Arch, and this time everything went smoothly. I'm thinking I may have just missed a command somewhere the first time, though unfortunately we will never know for sure. Either way, thanks for the help, everyone.

Board footer