You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-28 13:46:24

schmidtbag

Grub error - but booting just fine

I recently got an SSD.  I moved my Arch setup to it, turned on "discard" in fstab, wiped my grub config (I might've even wiped my entire /boot folder but I don't remember - I've been dealing with this problem for about a month), reinstalled grub from pacman, and used os-prober to assist in re-building grub.cfg.

For some strange reason though, just before grub loads I seem to get 3 errors all saying the same thing - "File not found".  It doesn't tell me anything other than that.  When Arch is then selected from the boot menu, it re-states those 3 errors and says "Press any key to continue".  Pressing any key doesn't seem to do anything, it just sits there for about 5 seconds, and then proceeds to boot normally as though nothing happened.

I would love to give more in-depth details as to what's wrong, but this is all I can provide.  Currently I am not using grub to boot anything else - just Arch.

#2 2013-05-02 03:15:54

cirrus
Website

Re: Grub error - but booting just fine

I get these three alerts on another box which dont run arch, id hazard a guess its grub not erroring but merely alerting you, IDK what the 3 missing files are, but i do know its not errors. I think its grub looking for certain files  (maybe hardware specific files) and if they arent found grub continues to boot.  This wont cause you any ill effects.

#3 2013-05-02 03:50:53

schmidtbag

I figured as much, but it's still annoying considering I spend more time waiting for grub to boot than it takes for me to get to my desktop - and I'm running KDE.

#4 2013-05-02 16:38:08

cirrus
Website

something is amiss then if you have to wait for grub,  i dont need to wait long for grub to boot, these alerts flash up for like a millisecond then grub continues to boot.

#5 2013-05-02 16:44:35

schmidtbag

Haha exactly the point I'm posting this question.  The wait is maybe 5 seconds, and since I have an SSD it takes about 4 seconds to get to the desktop.  The "press any key to continue" doesn't seem to make a difference, in fact, I don't even need to press a key to continue.

Board footer