You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-12 16:45:49

madr
Member
From: Norway
Registered: 2013-04-25
Posts: 87

[SOLVED] How to find forum user registration number?

Out of curiosity I tried to find my registration number here on the Arch forum. The ID from the URL tells me that I'm forum user number 70676, but the forum member counter tells me that there's only 44154 registered users. Does this mean that over 25000 users has left the forum from variouse reasons, or doesn't the user ID number tell us anything? 25000 sounds like a lot.

Last edited by madr (2013-05-13 12:24:17)

Offline

#2 2013-05-12 17:02:43

x33a
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 3,391
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How to find forum user registration number?

Good question.

Since the arch forums have no account deletion policy, that means that all the accounts are still intact. So, I don't know how the front page show 44,154 users while you have an id of 70676.

Offline

#3 2013-05-12 17:06:19

tomk
Forum Fellow
From: Ireland
Registered: 2004-07-21
Posts: 9,838

Re: [SOLVED] How to find forum user registration number?

Actually, that policy wasn't always in place, so some accounts would have been deleted before it was established - id 1, for example. smile

Offline

#4 2013-05-12 17:07:20

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 13,115

Re: [SOLVED] How to find forum user registration number?

x33a wrote:

Since the arch forums have no account deletion policy, that means that all the accounts are still intact.

Almost true.  The moderators have nuked a few accounts from orbit, just to be sure.  Mostly commercial spammers.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
You assume people are rational and influenced by evidence.  You must not work with the public much. -- Trilby
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Online

#5 2013-05-12 17:10:05

madr
Member
From: Norway
Registered: 2013-04-25
Posts: 87

Re: [SOLVED] How to find forum user registration number?

tomk wrote:

Actually, that policy wasn't always in place, so some accounts would have been deleted before it was established - id 1, for example. smile

ewaller wrote:

The moderators have nuked a few accounts from orbit, just to be sure.  Mostly commercial spammers.

25000 still seems like a lot.

Offline

#6 2013-05-13 04:32:55

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow
From: Montreal, Canada
Registered: 2004-08-20
Posts: 5,212

Re: [SOLVED] How to find forum user registration number?

A long while ago, we did a major clean up by removing inactive accounts, i.e. no posts and no login since a year (or never login) IIRC. That probably explain the large number of "missing" accounts.

Offline

#7 2013-05-13 05:14:13

x33a
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 3,391
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How to find forum user registration number?

Snowman wrote:

A long while ago, we did a major clean up by removing inactive accounts, i.e. no posts and no login since a year (or never login) IIRC. That probably explain the large number of "missing" accounts.

Wow, only a few days back I was thinking of opening a thread along the same lines, i.e., asking if a cleanup would make sense. But, I stopped short of posting that thread considering the account deletion policy.

So there's hope for another purge someday.

Offline

#8 2013-05-13 12:23:19

madr
Member
From: Norway
Registered: 2013-04-25
Posts: 87

Re: [SOLVED] How to find forum user registration number?

Snowman wrote:

A long while ago, we did a major clean up by removing inactive accounts, i.e. no posts and no login since a year (or never login) IIRC. That probably explain the large number of "missing" accounts.

Make sense. I'll mark this as solved.


x33a wrote:

Wow, only a few days back I was thinking of opening a thread along the same lines, i.e., asking if a cleanup would make sense. But, I stopped short of posting that thread considering the account deletion policy.

So there's hope for another purge someday.

I'm a big fan of tidy forums, so a cleanup is always good.

Last edited by madr (2013-05-13 12:23:49)

Offline

#9 2013-05-15 19:05:14

Inxsible
Forum Fellow
From: Chicago
Registered: 2008-06-09
Posts: 9,073

Re: [SOLVED] How to find forum user registration number?

Anyone not logged in to the forums in the last 2 years is getting nuked !!


So login while its hot


tongue wink


Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB