You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-18 20:43:21

MilenKid

Windows for one hour, work for one day [SOLVED]

Hello Arch people,

I'm trying to find a solution to this for two days now.

In the times I had windows, I enabled a setting in Lenovo Power Management to keep battery loaded at 50% in order to make it's life longer. Like tp smapi which doesn't work for my laptop (Lenovo G570). If it would I would have no problems.

Unfortunately I forgot to deactivated this option before wiping windows and installing Arch. I have installed arch, GPT partitioning (no UEFI MB).

Now, I would like to install windows so I can set this thing off (to leave battery to charge fully). Unfortunately, Win 7 does not install on GPT partitioned HDDs (I tried in virtualmachine). I don't have another laptop HDD, and win does not install on external USB. I tryed with Windows PE as someone advised on the forum, but I don't manage to install the utility into it and the documentation sucks big time.

So, final solution, cloning my whole HDD, installing win 7, disabling the option, and write the image back. I made an image with clonezila but it gave an error regarding backing up bootloader, I don't want to risk.

So, the steps:

1. boot arch install, mount external hdd
2. make full HDD image: dd if=/dev/hda conv=sync,noerror bs=64K of=/external_hdd_mounted/hda.img
3. install windows, change battery
4. boot arch install again, mount external hdd
5. restore image: dd if=/external_hdd_mounted/hda.img of=/dev/hda conv=sync,noerror bs=64K

or for 2 and 3 I could just just save hdd to external hdd (hda = my system, hdb = external)
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb conv=noerror,sync bs=4k

I'm asking if the steps are ok, considering:
1. system is encrypted. Should this affect anything (I think no as dd works raw)
2. will UUID/partition UUIDS change, should I change anything after restoring the image?

Maybe I will do this in a virtual machine first, but it's hard to get external hdd access in there during arch install.
Thank you!

Last edited by MilenKid (2013-05-19 20:57:37)

#2 2013-05-18 21:15:44

cybertorture

Re: Windows for one hour, work for one day [SOLVED]

Not really solution, but are you absolutely sure that you do not have this option in BIOS ? I ask 'cos i currenty use samsung 3series with "battery extender" option laptop and its BIOS setting. Also it make no sense to try in virtual enviorment 'cos you will need a direct hardware access. I want to point out that i can be wrong but in my expirience i never saw BIOS access from virtual enviorment.

O' rly ? Ya rly Oo

#3 2013-05-18 21:34:25

MilenKid

No, it's not. I see online that I'm not the only one with this problem. I have tried the solution from here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … action=new - it didn't worked.

Now I'm discovering DSDT. Maybe I will find a solution from Arch, if not I would do as above (if nobody sees any problem)

#4 2013-05-18 21:42:13

ewaller
Administrator

MilenKid wrote:

No, it's not in bios. Searching online I see I'm not the only one with this problem. I have tried the solution form here (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … action=new) didn't worked.

Now I got to learning about DSDT...

In case you are wondering what happened to your first version of the above post, You hit the 'report' link rather than the 'reply' link.  It happens more often than you might imagine wink

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2013-05-18 21:43:28

MilenKid

Hi,

I'm trying to fix this from ARCH. When I had windows, I set up in Lenovo Power management the option to keep the battery charged only at 50%.

Now, I'm trying to revert.

1. Tp smapi does not work. Laptop is Lenovo G570 (I think it is IdeaPad)
2. Method from here didn't worked.
3. Other info:

host ~/scripts # cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/uevent
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT1
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Unknown
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_CYCLE_COUNT=0
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MIN_DESIGN=11100000
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=10918000
POWER_SUPPLY_POWER_NOW=0
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL_DESIGN=46400000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL=41460000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_NOW=20310000
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=48
POWER_SUPPLY_MODEL_NAME=PABAS024
POWER_SUPPLY_MANUFACTURER=COMPAL 
POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUMBER=3658Q
host ~/scripts # acpi -i
Battery 0: Unknown, 48%
Battery 0: design capacity 4249 mAh, last full capacity 3797 mAh = 89%
host /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1 # upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1
  native-path:          /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/device:01/PNP0C0A:00/power_supply/BAT1
  vendor:               COMPAL
  model:                PABAS024
  serial:               3658Q
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              Sun May 19 00:51:14 2013 (20 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               charging
    energy:              20.31 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         41.46 Wh
    energy-full-design:  46.4 Wh
    energy-rate:         0 W
    voltage:             10.919 V
    percentage:          48.987%
    capacity:            89.3534%
    technology:          lithium-ion

Last edited by MilenKid (2013-05-18 21:52:07)

#6 2013-05-18 21:44:56

MilenKid

ewaller wrote:
MilenKid wrote:

No, it's not in bios. Searching online I see I'm not the only one with this problem. I have tried the solution form here (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … action=new) didn't worked.

Now I got to learning about DSDT...

In case you are wondering what happened to your first version of the above post, You hit the 'report' link rather than the 'reply' link.  It happens more often than you might imagine wink

Apologise. I was sure some extension blocked something, my Firefox has a will on his own sometimes wink.

#7 2013-05-19 02:47:53

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

you already have a thread for this issue. merging....

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2013-05-19 04:51:51

WonderWoofy

I don't know exactly what to do with your battery issue in terms of fixing it in Linux.  But your issues with windows not installing onto a GPT HDD were actually issues with virtualbox.  Windows apparently decides whether to boot UEFI or from the MBR bios by how it is partitioned.  If it uses old MBR style partitioning it will boot from the bios, but if it is GPT it will use UEFI (don't ask me why, I think this design is stooopid).  So your issue was actually that you were trying to have windows use UEFI, probably w/o it being enabled in virtualbox itself.  There is an option for it in the settings.

#9 2013-05-19 08:05:42

the.ridikulus.rat

You can convert a GPT disk back to MBR using gdisk (http://rodsbooks.com/gdisk/mbr2gpt.html - Converting from GPT to MBR). After that reinstall your Linux bootloader, because a bootloader setup for GPT disk will not boot via MBR disk. And then install Windows in BIOS-MBR setup.

Or

You can chainload a real UEFI environment from BIOS - see http://www.rodsbooks.com/bios2uefi/ , https://github.com/migle/BootDuet/blob/master/INSTALL , and http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/ for the DUET images.

#10 2013-05-19 16:58:59

MilenKid

Windows does not install on GPT no UEFI systems (I mentioned it's not UEFI). I just installed it, changed the battery setting, wiped the hdd, repartitioned and rsynced everything back.

#11 2013-05-19 18:43:52

ewaller
Administrator

MilenKid wrote:

Apologise. I was sure some extension blocked something, my Firefox has a will on his own sometimes wink.

No harm, no foul.  No apology needed.

It looks like this thread may be solved.  If it is, go ahead and edit your first post and prepend [SOLVED] to the thread title.  We ask that you do that as we have no good way to know if you consider it solved, or not.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer