You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-08 22:12:39

sn0n
Website

No Floppy / No CD Install.

Ok, here is the situation, i have an Sony VAIO Laptop (one of the smaller ones without a cd drive or floppy drive) and im wanting to install Arch onto it.. i do have a second partition setup (right now NTFS, but can/will format).. but unfortunately have NO IDEA how to install and setup arch on it.. also, my eth0 will be a usb (one of the thumbdrive looking ones from linksys).. Please someone send me in a direction of setting this up from within a windows env.. noting that i cant boot from floppy or cd.. odd i know..

#2 2005-12-09 00:21:01

kleptophobiac

Re: No Floppy / No CD Install.

There's no onboard NIC?

#3 2005-12-09 00:54:19

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Sounds like Xentac's laptop - he had to bootstrap it via another system....

#4 2005-12-09 01:03:28

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I didn't actually have to bootstrap it from another system...

My laptop (r505el) has a base station that has a cd drive.  The problem with mine is that it's a firewire cd drive.

The problem with yours is you can't boot anything other than the hard drive, which is a big problem.  You only option sounds like it's pulling out the hard drive and popping it into another machine.

Unless you found some tool to boot a cd image off of your hard drive...  Actually, vmware could do it.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2005-12-09 01:09:24

tomk
Forum Fellow

Yeah, that usb NIC is a killer.

Here's two ideas. I've never heard of anyone using them with Arch, I've never had to try them myself, and I've no idea if they'll work:

1. Use loadlin, with a DOS partition if necessary.
2. Use cygwin, with archbootstrap.

Probably no good, but I''ve just been out with my wonderful wife for some excellent Italian cuisine, and I'm feeling good.

The wine and limoncello have nothing to do with it, of course.  wink

#6 2005-12-09 19:08:54

paranoos

maybe you can boot from a usb pen drive... do you have one?
i think Damn Small Linux would run from that, and you can use the archbootstrap script (previously mentioned) to install Arch.

Board footer