You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-29 13:05:08

karol
Archivist

[solved] Arch RSS feeds

What decides if only the latest 10 / 15 news items are shown - the feed (i.e. the "publisher") or the feed reader settings?
I've been using Google Reader for ages and it simply grabbed all the articles that have been published since I last read the feeds - if there were 48 stories published, I got them all. Dozens of new forum threads or new AUR packages - I haven't missed a single one.
newbeuter is a nice feed reader, but it shows just the 15 most recent items per feed. This means I would have to leave my computer on 24/7, tell newsbeuter to reload the feeds every hour or so and hope the power or the internet doesn't go out.

I tried fiddling with newsbeuter's settings, I even tried importing the subscription file I exported from Google Reader into Opera - I couldn't replicate Google Reader's behavior.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm seeing this in non-Arch feeds too, but for now I'm interested in getting all the info about new packages submitted to the AUR and about new forum threads.

Bonus question: why doesn't https://www.archlinux.org/feeds/ mention forum and AUR feeds?

Last edited by karol (2013-06-07 18:09:45)

#2 2013-05-29 13:44:47

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] Arch RSS feeds

karol wrote:

I've been using Google Reader for ages and it simply grabbed all the articles that have been published since I last read the feeds - if there were 48 stories published, I got them all. Dozens of new forum threads or new AUR packages - I haven't missed a single one.

The great secret finally revealed. tongue

As for your question, I have no idea.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2013-05-29 15:03:28

donniezazen
Website

Bonus question:- In Google Reader days you could subscribe to any page using Google RSS extension. I no longer use RSS reader instead I come to forum and click new posts. I agree reading new threads through RSS reader is quite nifty.

#4 2013-05-29 15:08:17

jakobcreutzfeldt

donniezazen wrote:

Bonus question:- In Google Reader days you could subscribe to any page using Google RSS extension. I no longer use RSS reader instead I come to forum and click new posts. I agree reading new threads through RSS reader is quite nifty.

I'm bracing myself for the question.

#5 2013-05-29 15:13:11

jakobcreutzfeldt

karol wrote:

What decides if only the latest 10 / 15 news items are shown - the feed (i.e. the "publisher") or the feed reader settings?

In principle, it's the reader, not the feed.

newbeuter is a nice feed reader, but it shows just the 15 most recent items per feed. This means I would have to leave my computer on 24/7, tell newsbeuter to reload the feeds every hour or so and hope the power or the internet doesn't go out.

I tried fiddling with newsbeuter's settings, I even tried importing the subscription file I exported from Google Reader into Opera - I couldn't replicate Google Reader's behavior.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm seeing this in non-Arch feeds too, but for now I'm interested in getting all the info about new packages submitted to the AUR and about new forum threads.

Well, Google Reader was sitting there fetching new articles for you repeatedly, building up a big archive of new articles to present on your next log in. I think newsbeuter only fetches a limited number each time but if you fetch frequently it will catch all of them. I think if you leave newsbeuter running with a low enough reload-time (and auto-reload on) you won't miss any articles.

I don't think it's possible to change the number of fetched items. Maybe try playing with the always-download parameter.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2013-05-29 15:13:27)

#6 2013-05-29 15:19:05

karol
Archivist

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
donniezazen wrote:

I was tempted to write this myself ;P

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

I think newsbeuter only fetches a limited number each time but if you fetch frequently it will catch all of them. I think if you leave newsbeuter running with a low enough reload-time (and auto-reload on) you won't miss any articles.

I need some kind of a server that will do that for me, like Google Reader or an e-mail server does.

@donniezazen
https://bbs.archlinux.org/extern.php prints 15 urls, but you can subscribe to the forum sections you're interested in following, so there is an alternative in the form of e-mail.

https://aur.archlinux.org/ says

Packages added in the past 7 days     199

If I can view only the last 15 submitted packages and I check the rss feeds daily, it means that I'm missing roughly half of the packages that are submitted.
There have been 15 archtrack-* , 37 ros-groovy-* , 18 qt5-*  and 19 ros-groovy-* packages submitted to the AUR in a short period of time in the last couple weeks. I'm not interested in them but I would hate to miss gems like hackterm, finalterm-git or mpv-player-git which could very well happen.

What is the alternative to rss feeds for the AUR?

#7 2013-05-29 15:25:35

drcouzelis
Website

karol wrote:

That's lame. sad

I was working on a feed reader for Haiku. I didn't get too incredibly far, but I did think about your situation. I think I decided that my feed reader would download all updates for a given feed, mark them as "new" (of course), delete all but the most recent ten "read" items. This way, you would always get all of the new updates, but the list wouldn't grow forever.

Hmm... I should cleanup that project. Or someone else can work on it if they'd like. big_smile http://sourceforge.net/p/nibblenews/cod … ster/tree/

#8 2013-05-29 15:47:53

jakobcreutzfeldt

karol wrote:

Wow, sorry, I completely missed this sentence, rendering my entire post above entirely redundant.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2013-05-29 15:48:03)

#9 2013-05-29 15:49:50

donniezazen
Website

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
donniezazen wrote:

I am at lost here.

#10 2013-05-29 15:51:02

SidK

karol wrote:

I need some kind of a server that will do that for me, like Google Reader or an e-mail server does.

Exactly. I've seen a few announcements for Google Reader replacements. I haven't checked any of them out, but http://www.replacereader.com/ looks like a good starting point in finding the right one. There's also this open source one you can deploy yourself: https://www.commafeed.com

#11 2013-05-29 15:52:46

jakobcreutzfeldt

donniezazen wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
donniezazen wrote:

I am at lost here.

I read your post as implying that you had a question, one that never came. Now I can read it as a solution to karol's "bonus question", though I don't see how it applies.

#12 2013-06-07 18:09:30

karol
Archivist

I'm an RSS feeds monster and I want more feeds! :-)
Forum software understands my needs and https://projects.archlinux.org/vhosts/b … rn.php#n48 says 50 is the best you I can get - much better than the default 15 and good enough for me.

Unfortunately https://projects.archlinux.org/aur.git/ … README#n89 says for AUR it's 20 and only 20:

rss.php -
     Generates RDF Site Summary (RSS) feed with the latest packages updated
     in the AUR. Lists most recent 20 packages. Includes package name, link
     to package page, package description, time of update, source listing,
     maintainer name.

https://projects.archlinux.org/aur.git/ … ss.php#n40

#Get the latest packages and add items for them
$packages = latest_pkgs(20);

It makes me a sad panda, but one panda is not enough, as the Russians say, so I won't be opening any feature requests.

Marking as solved.

#13 2013-06-07 18:35:45

drcouzelis
Website

karol wrote:

It makes me a sad panda, but one panda is not enough, as the Russians say, so I won't be opening any feature requests.

You know, I really learn a lot by reading the Arch Linux forums. smile

I started using RSS a lot more after reading a great article (I think from OSNews) that declared that the friendly open RSS will save the internet from things like Facebook. As usual, I can't find the article anymore. hmm

#14 2013-06-08 16:41:26

donniezazen
Website

I have been checking out Newsblur and I subscribed to "Atom Forum Feed." My intentions are to be able to get original post of each tread created in the particular forum section and that's how it worked on Google Reader. On Newsblur or Feedly it seems to show the last post of the thread. Is there a way to get just each thread created and only original post?

Last edited by donniezazen (2013-06-08 16:43:24)

#15 2013-06-08 17:26:52

karol
Archivist

#16 2013-06-30 15:41:47

karol
Archivist

Mic92 provides Enhanced / Custmizable Arch Package Feed https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=165566
It's very nice and the feed provides up to 50 items v. 20 for the stock AUR feed :-)

#17 2013-07-07 04:17:13

donniezazen
Website

https://bbs.archlinux.org/extern.php?action=feed&type=atom&order=posted&fid=23&show=50

This is what I am using to get first post of each thread created in a forum. fid=xx defines the forum. This works pretty well for forum as I think we don't get more than 50 new threads in a day. I don't really follow AUR at the moment.

#18 2013-08-21 03:07:03

donniezazen
Website

Finally, I am subscribed to all ArchLinux forum sections except /dev/null. I have two more issues.

1. I am using the string posted in #17 and I couldn't get Try This and Off-Topic to work. Newsblur creates an Arch Linux Forums link when I add either aforementioned sections and the newly created links don't have any articles.
2. How can I get ArchLinux bug tracker RSS so I get notified about all bugs filed and then I can selectively follow them.

Thanks.

#19 2013-08-21 03:37:27

Allan
Pacman
Website

donniezazen wrote:

1. I am using the string posted in #17 and I couldn't get Try This and Off-Topic to work. Newsblur creates an Arch Linux Forums link when I add either aforementioned sections and the newly created links don't have any articles.

Those sections require that you are logged in to see them.   So I suppose there are no RSS feeds...

donniezazen wrote:

2. How can I get ArchLinux bug tracker RSS so I get notified about all bugs filed and then I can selectively follow them.
Thanks.

By going to the bug tracker in any browser and finding the RSS feed...

#20 2013-08-21 06:48:23

donniezazen
Website

@Allan I couldn't find RSS because I got rid of Google's RSS subscription extension once they shut down Reader. All good. Thanks.

#21 2013-08-21 12:17:11

karol
Archivist

donniezazen wrote:

I am using the string posted in #17 and I couldn't get Try This and Off-Topic to work. Newsblur creates an Arch Linux Forums link when I add either aforementioned sections and the newly created links don't have any articles.

Here's the rationale behind making it visible only to logged-in users: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119601

You can subscribe to the forum sections via e-mail https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?id=29 bottom right, above the rss feed.

#22 2013-08-21 13:22:31

x33a
Forum Fellow

Karol, if I am not mistaken, you use Firefox. If that is the case, you can give NewsFox a try.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … src=search

It won't help you with downloading more Feeds than the server allows, but it will help you keep the ones already downloaded.

#23 2013-08-21 13:25:41

karol
Archivist

I'm using newsbeuter as my rss reader and I'm pretty happy with it, but thanks anyway, x33a :-)

#24 2013-08-21 17:39:39

donniezazen
Website

Thanks. Email is a terrible way to manage any feeds. Those forums aren't very technical, so, I will leave them for now.

Board footer