You are not logged in.

#2101 2013-06-05 12:59:10

sollidsnake

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

gadelat wrote:

Problem one solved, previously I uninstalled nautilus since i like nemo better. Problem 2, not so much because I don't know correct full rule. If I replace current value "any" with "!state=maxvert" in Decoration Windows settings, it changes nothing. If I replace it with "state=maxvert", then all windows loses title bars which is not optimal. With this option there is no glitches with maximizing/minimizing libreoffice though. Are you sure "state" is correct value? It's not listed between types in select-box when you are adding rule by plus sign. Also, I'm not sure what is "grab" button supposed to do (i guess it's for selecting which window i want rule to apply?), but it doesn't do anything in my case.

Yes, I'm sure "state" is the correct value. You can check it in compiz official page http://wiki.compiz.org/WindowMatching. That should force compiz to hide the title bars that unity for some reason doesn't hide. If that didn't work for you, I'm afraid I can't help you sad

But still for problem 1, if you make nemo the default file manager, nemo will handle the desktop and you shouldn't need nautilus anymore.

Non serviam

#2102 2013-06-05 13:32:59

oi_wtf

gadelat wrote:

Problem one solved, previously I uninstalled nautilus since i like nemo better.

Try nemo-git from aur, the version in [community] is not up to date enough yet to work nicely with gnome3.8.

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-06-05 13:33:21)

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#2103 2013-06-05 13:56:52

gadelat

Well still, I think it's a matter of other problem. See, when I maximize libreoffice window, it tries to hide its title bar - this title bar it shows now is not functional, it acts just as sort of background above of top border of libreoffice window. It acts same with gui parts of window in layer under libreoffice window. Last time I made screenshot with terminal under libreoffice layer, now I did so with firefox:
s_1370438737_4419961_b62f3c41c3.png
These tabs or anything between libreoffice menu and unity top panel are of course NOT functional, it acts just like some sort of background, It's some weird glitch.
I made video where you can understand it better => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhxX2b7R … e=youtu.be
It does it only in unity though sad

#2104 2013-06-05 14:07:08

sollidsnake

gadelat wrote:

Well still, I think it's a matter of other problem. See, when I maximize libreoffice window, it tries to hide its title bar - this title bar it shows now is not functional, it acts just as sort of background above of top border of libreoffice window. It acts same with gui parts of window in layer under libreoffice window. Last time I made screenshot with terminal under libreoffice layer, now I did so with firefox:
http://storage4.static.itmages.com/i/13/0605/s_1370438737_4419961_b62f3c41c3.png
These tabs or anything between libreoffice menu and unity top panel are of course NOT functional, it acts just like some sort of background, It's some weird glitch.
I made video where you can understand it better => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhxX2b7R … e=youtu.be
It does it only in unity though sad

Well, that looks like a video card issue. Try playing with the OpenGL options in ccsm and check if the problem persists. Also, you can try using the proprietary instead of the free video drivers (or vice versa) if you have Radeon or NVidia cards. If you have intel, try chaning from sna to ufa (or vice versa).

Non serviam

#2105 2013-06-05 14:50:27

gadelat

sollidsnake wrote:

that looks like a video card issue

Maybe, but it isn't. It does this only in Libreoffice, only in Unity. Plus, I have Intel pre-sandybridge graphic which means it does not support sna.

Last edited by gadelat (2013-06-05 15:00:50)

#2106 2013-06-05 14:59:23

sollidsnake

gadelat wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:

Maybe, but it isn't. It does this only in Libreoffice, only in Unity. Plus, I have Intel pre-sandybridge graphic which means it does not support sna.

The only thing I can think of now is to install the libreoffice-gnome package. That package makes libreoffice integrate better with gnome (and consequently with unity) and might fix it.

Non serviam

#2107 2013-06-05 15:15:40

gadelat

sollidsnake wrote:

The only thing I can think of now is to install the libreoffice-gnome package. That package makes libreoffice integrate better with gnome (and consequently with unity) and might fix it.

YES, it indeed did fix it. Thank you!

oi_wtf wrote:

Try nemo-git from aur, the version in [community] is not up to date enough yet to work nicely with gnome3.8.

Nah, doesn't work for me - with nemo-git after uninstalling nautilus it's same

#2108 2013-06-05 16:38:41

qiuwei

sollidsnake wrote:
gadelat wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:

Something off topic, if you don't mind using proprietary software, kingsoft-office in aur seems to be a better choice than libreoffice.

#2109 2013-06-05 17:46:50

oi_wtf

gadelat wrote:
oi_wtf wrote:

Nah, doesn't work for me - with nemo-git after uninstalling nautilus it's same

Well, it did work for me... maybe I or you are missing something...
like missing the autostart file for nemo or something like that... well, whatever...

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#2110 2013-06-06 05:43:30

chenxiaolong

AlexRu wrote:

I have two questions:

1) How to switch input layouts? As i can see settings are different to ubuntu, i have only ibus icon in tray and i couldnt set it to use alt+shift shortcut. And it doesnt switch layout in fullscreen apps. How do u switch layouts?
2) Cpufreq indicator shows only two options - powersave and perfomance. Some extra settings or package needed?

Edit: I set Settings->Keyboard->Typing->"Modifiers-only switch to next source" to alt-shift, it is working, but not in full screen apps

I'm using the standard Control + Space shortcut and I'm not have any problems in full screen applications. Have you tried another key combination? Maybe it's just Alt + Shift that doesn't work.

The reason the cpufreq indicator only shows two governors is because that is all the Arch kernel supports:

[chenxiaolong@vm-unityarch cpu0]$ find /lib/modules -name '*cpufreq*' | sort
/lib/modules/3.9.4-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/cpufreq
/lib/modules/3.9.4-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko.gz
/lib/modules/3.9.4-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_conservative.ko.gz
/lib/modules/3.9.4-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_powersave.ko.gz
/lib/modules/3.9.4-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_stats.ko.gz
/lib/modules/3.9.4-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_userspace.ko.gz
/lib/modules/3.9.4-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/pcc-cpufreq.ko.gz

#2111 2013-06-06 19:33:41

chenxiaolong

Unfortunately, the /usr/bin/ move completely killed Jenkins on the build server. It fails to find /bin/sh and dies with incredibly ugly errors: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/job/UFA-1.0-Get … 31/console

I'll need to fix that first before updating any more packages.

EDIT: Fixed. Lesson learned: never use Keepass with Jenkins. It'll automatically fill in the username and password in to the wrong boxes. That caused Jenkins to set the build directory for every job to /mypassword/chenxiaolong/.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-06-06 22:37:48)

#2112 2013-06-07 06:22:26

chenxiaolong

Builds failing for absolutely no reason again... sad

EDIT: That took a while to figure out. Sometime you just can't rely on other people's tools:

The silent failure is caused by arch-nspawn passing the full chroot path to systemd-nspawn as the hostname (WTH?). My build server builds in a path like /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/UFA-2.0-Build-gtk3-ubuntu/tmp.GCJwo96pfb, so arch-nspawn is basically setting:

_var_lib_jenkins_workspace_UFA-2.0-Build-gtk3-ubuntu_tmp.GCJwo96pfb

as the hostname in the chroot. Well, hostnames can only be 63 characters long. That's 67 characters. Systemd-nspawn complains like it should, but the Arch devs silenced the output in arch-nspawn.

Time to fix build-in-chroot.sh, again.

EDIT: Fixed. The script now works 100% independently of other build tools (except pacstrap): https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … 2b44c6ba60

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-06-07 07:36:35)

#2113 2013-06-07 10:49:30

Unia
Website

I don't use Unity on Arch, but I do follow this topic. You're a wizard, Chen, just wanted to let you know big_smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#2114 2013-06-07 17:06:57

chenxiaolong

Unia wrote:

I don't use Unity on Arch, but I do follow this topic. You're a wizard, Chen, just wanted to let you know big_smile

Thanks, that means a lot to me big_smile

#2115 2013-06-07 17:08:03

chenxiaolong

Unity Smart Scopes coming to Arch soon smile

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/unity-sm … ds-in.html

#2116 2013-06-07 19:31:23

oi_wtf

gsettings-desktop-schemas fails to build, I get the same error as there: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/job/UFA-2.0-Bui … ld/console

#2117 2013-06-07 20:54:48

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:

gsettings-desktop-schemas fails to build, I get the same error as there: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/job/UFA-2.0-Bui … ld/console

Thanks, fixed!

#2118 2013-06-07 21:04:42

chenxiaolong

Update notes 2013-06-07

First of all, if you use my binary repos, please wait until all the packages successfully build at http://cxl.epac.to:8091/view/Unity-for-Arch/ (the blue dot). Many of the packages require the updated dependencies, so the desktop could break if not everything is updated.

Changes:
* Voice recognition for hud (don't know if it works yet). Requires new packages: sphinxbase, pocketsphinx, sphinx-voxforge-en
* Additional dependency for Unity: xpathselect
* Versioned dependencies for unity package only. ie. prevent situations like old nux + new Unity, which really screw up the desktop

Note: This new version of Unity includes support for payment (buying music). Please do not use this! I can't guarantee that Unity won't crash during a transaction and I don't want to be held responsible for any issues. I will be removing this feature in a future update.

EDIT: Having a bit of an overload right now:

Iu4C574.png

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-06-08 00:43:14)

#2119 2013-06-08 01:05:51

oi_wtf

two issues:
in hud: -DENABLE_TESTS should be OFF for those who don't want to run tests, building fails otherwise
in unity, launcher_bfb.png is now in /usr/share/unity/icons/ instead of /usr/share/unity/6/

#2120 2013-06-08 04:37:03

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:

two issues:
in hud: -DENABLE_TESTS should be OFF for those who don't want to run tests, building fails otherwise
in unity, launcher_bfb.png is now in /usr/share/unity/icons/ instead of /usr/share/unity/6/

Thanks! Fixed both issues.

#2121 2013-06-08 23:16:50

Silex89

Hi there Chen.

So, long time since I last posted here. I just upgraded Unity packages, which I didn't do since I got it running. One of the upgrades just broke my entire system, so I wiped out and reinstalled Arch from the starting point in order to use Unity again...

So to make a short story...even shorter!. I got LightDM running, but Unity doesn't launch. I get only few notifications over the default GNOME wallpaper, but no panels, no HUD, nothing clickable.

Here's my .xsession-errors log. Please, re-check for issues.

N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {62f4cb76ed50494d90a88b1f8e18fc27}unix:/run/user/1000/pulse/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper.
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ccp

(gnome-settings-daemon:1888): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output

(gnome-settings-daemon:1888): color-plugin-WARNING **: unable to get EDID for xrandr-LVDS: unable to get EDID for output
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ccp
+ dconf load /com/canonical/unity/
+ dconf dump /desktop/unity/
+ dconf reset -f /desktop/unity/
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: opengl

** (telepathy-indicator:1982): WARNING **: could not find the desktop file for 'empathy.desktop'
compiz (core) - Info: Unity is fully supported by your hardware.
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: opengl
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: copytex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: copytex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: mousepoll
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: mousepoll
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: gnomecompat
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: gnomecompat
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: snap
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: snap
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: wall
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: wall
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: vpswitch
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: vpswitch
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: session
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: session
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/daniel/.compiz/session/10f8f4f4c6304f36dc137073223093255800000017370001"
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: animation
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: animation
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: workarounds
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: workarounds
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: fade
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: fade
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: scale
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: scale
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ezoom
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ezoom

Best Regards and thanks a lot in advance for your continous help and support smile.

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

#2122 2013-06-09 16:10:28

chenxiaolong

Silex89 wrote:

Hi there Chen.

So, long time since I last posted here. I just upgraded Unity packages, which I didn't do since I got it running. One of the upgrades just broke my entire system, so I wiped out and reinstalled Arch from the starting point in order to use Unity again...

So to make a short story...even shorter!. I got LightDM running, but Unity doesn't launch. I get only few notifications over the default GNOME wallpaper, but no panels, no HUD, nothing clickable.

Here's my .xsession-errors log. Please, re-check for issues.

N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {62f4cb76ed50494d90a88b1f8e18fc27}unix:/run/user/1000/pulse/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper.
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ccp

(gnome-settings-daemon:1888): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output

(gnome-settings-daemon:1888): color-plugin-WARNING **: unable to get EDID for xrandr-LVDS: unable to get EDID for output
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ccp
+ dconf load /com/canonical/unity/
+ dconf dump /desktop/unity/
+ dconf reset -f /desktop/unity/
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: opengl

** (telepathy-indicator:1982): WARNING **: could not find the desktop file for 'empathy.desktop'
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: opengl
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: copytex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: copytex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: mousepoll
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: mousepoll
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: gnomecompat
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: gnomecompat
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: snap
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: snap
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: wall
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: wall
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: vpswitch
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: vpswitch
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: session
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: session
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/daniel/.compiz/session/10f8f4f4c6304f36dc137073223093255800000017370001"
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: animation
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: animation
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: workarounds
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: workarounds
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: fade
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: fade
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: scale
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: scale
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ezoom
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ezoom

Best Regards and thanks a lot in advance for your continous help and support :).

Hi Silex89,

Long time no post :D

The .xsession-errors log is not showing anything wrong other than that Compiz is not trying to load Unity. Could you try running compiz.reset? That usually takes care of the issues where Unity doesn't start.

Also, could you post which repos you are installing from? Thanks!

#2123 2013-06-09 16:57:42

Silex89

chenxiaolong wrote:

Hi Silex89,

Long time no post big_smile

The .xsession-errors log is not showing anything wrong other than that Compiz is not trying to load Unity. Could you try running compiz.reset? That usually takes care of the issues where Unity doesn't start.

Also, could you post which repos you are installing from? Thanks!

I issued that command from my Openbox session with no errors reported. It logged out to LightDM and tried to start Unity again, but nothing happens... I reviewed once again the new .xsession-errors and looks exactly the same as the one I posted yesterday.

Here's the relevant part of my /etc/pacman.conf

[unity]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://unity.xe-xe.org/$arch

[unity-extra]
Server = http://unity.xe-xe.org/extra/$arch

I could try to build Unity from source, but I need it running as soon as possible, since I have so much work to do. I'm running an Openbox session for now to do minor tasks...

Thanks a lot, Chen smile

EDIT: I have those repos above [core]. On top of the Unity repos there's a Xorg repo [xorg113] and a Catalyst repo.

Last edited by Silex89 (2013-06-09 17:00:40)

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

#2124 2013-06-09 17:20:28

qiuwei

Silex89 wrote:
[unity]
Server = http://unity.xe-xe.org/$arch

[unity-extra]
Server = http://unity.xe-xe.org/extra/$arch

I could try to build Unity from source, but I need it running as soon as possible, since I have so much work to do. I'm running an Openbox session for now to do minor tasks...

Thanks a lot, Chen smile

EDIT: I have those repos above [core]. On top of the Unity repos there's a Xorg repo [xorg113] and a Catalyst repo.

The repo your are using is outdated. Try the test repo provided by chen.

#2125 2013-06-09 17:33:25

qiuwei

Hi,

The latest unity from chen's testing repo seems to have some bugs. The searching result in dash will not be open if I left click on it. Instead it will show a general view of that item as I've right clicked on it.
Anyway I can still open it by input "enter" directly. Though some applications such as banshee can't put their menu  on the global menu bar. Everything works normally if I start programs in a terminal.

EDIT:
The global menu issue is solved. It's due to some other updates.

Last edited by qiuwei (2013-06-09 18:44:00)

Board footer