You are not logged in.

#2126 2013-06-09 18:09:53

Silex89

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

qiuwei wrote:

The latest unity from chen's testing repo seems to have some bugs.

That's my biggest concern about the Dropbox repo. I think I prefer stability rather than bleeding edge features. i'm still open to try that repo though. Do you guys recommend it?

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

#2127 2013-06-09 18:19:08

qiuwei

Silex89 wrote:
qiuwei wrote:

The latest unity from chen's testing repo seems to have some bugs.

That's my biggest concern about the Dropbox repo. I think I prefer stability rather than bleeding edge features. i'm still open to try that repo though. Do you guys recommend it?

Yes, I still recommend it.
I haven't encountered any crucial problem that make the system unusable.
I just don't want to spend time on compiling all of the packages again. And other options such as unity.xe-xe.org are quite often outdated and unusable at all.

#2128 2013-06-09 18:26:16

divansantana

Latest updates, breaks a few things unfortunately.
HUD doesn't seem to work pretty much at all.
Dash home doesn't seem to have any of the lens except app lens.

Is it because UFA-2.0-Build-hud  at http://cxl.epac.to:8091/view/Unity-for-Arch/ is marked as failed? I think Chen did warn us though...

#2129 2013-06-09 18:28:51

divansantana

chenxiaolong wrote:

Unfortunately, the /usr/bin/ move completely killed Jenkins on the build server. It fails to find /bin/sh and dies with incredibly ugly errors: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/job/UFA-1.0-Get … 31/console

I'll need to fix that first before updating any more packages.

EDIT: Fixed. Lesson learned: never use Keepass with Jenkins. It'll automatically fill in the username and password in to the wrong boxes. That caused Jenkins to set the build directory for every job to /mypassword/chenxiaolong/.

Out of interest are you using keepassx+passlfox firefox addon+keepasshttp? I just use keepassx but considering expanding on if it has nice benefits.

#2130 2013-06-09 19:30:40

Silex89

Updates: I switched to the Unity-for-Arch repos. Upgraded all the packages, rebooted and.....nothing works...

Reviewed once again the .xsession-errors and it looks the same as the log I posted yesterday. Issuing compiz.reset doesn't do the trick either

I think I'm giving up.

sad

Best Guitar Solo Ever

#2131 2013-06-09 19:43:59

ludwig

Silex89 wrote:

Updates: I switched to the Unity-for-Arch repos. Upgraded all the packages, rebooted and.....nothing works...

Reviewed once again the .xsession-errors and it looks the same as the log I posted yesterday. Issuing compiz.reset doesn't do the trick either

I think I'm giving up.

sad

Silex89, did you check that unity is enabled in ccsm? It was disabled after upgrade for me smile

#2132 2013-06-09 21:10:43

chenxiaolong

qiuwei wrote:

Hi,

The latest unity from chen's testing repo seems to have some bugs. The searching result in dash will not be open if I left click on it. Instead it will show a general view of that item as I've right clicked on it.
Anyway I can still open it by input "enter" directly. Though some applications such as banshee can't put their menu  on the global menu bar. Everything works normally if I start programs in a terminal.

EDIT:
The global menu issue is solved. It's due to some other updates.

I think that was done on purpose. You have to double click to open programs now.

#2133 2013-06-09 21:13:13

chenxiaolong

divansantana wrote:

Is it because UFA-2.0-Build-hud  at http://cxl.epac.to:8091/view/Unity-for-Arch/ is marked as failed? I think Chen did warn us though...

I'll take a look at the hud. It may require the new unity-gtk-module package I just added.

For the missing lens, just install unity-scopes. It is no longer possible to use any of the default Ubuntu lens without having the Smart Scopes installed.

EDIT: Could you provide more details on how HUD is not working? It's working fine in Nautilus for me: http://i.imgur.com/6Xb4SDO.png

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-06-09 21:41:32)

#2134 2013-06-09 21:21:30

chenxiaolong

divansantana wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Unfortunately, the /usr/bin/ move completely killed Jenkins on the build server. It fails to find /bin/sh and dies with incredibly ugly errors: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/job/UFA-1.0-Get … 31/console

I'll need to fix that first before updating any more packages.

EDIT: Fixed. Lesson learned: never use Keepass with Jenkins. It'll automatically fill in the username and password in to the wrong boxes. That caused Jenkins to set the build directory for every job to /mypassword/chenxiaolong/.

Out of interest are you using keepassx+passlfox firefox addon+keepasshttp? I just use keepassx but considering expanding on if it has nice benefits.

I'm actually using the regular Keepass and the Keefox Firefox addon. I'm not sure if that works on Linux though. (My Arch install is on a VM under Windows right now. I'm kinda scared to directly install Linux after 4 motherboard failures...)

I haven't used Keepass for very long, so I'm not completely sure how everything works yet, but it'll basically ask to remember passwords when logging into a new website and it will automatically fill in the username and password for websites where the login info is saved. It's pretty convenient to only have to click the login button smile

#2135 2013-06-09 22:02:35

chenxiaolong

The latest libdbusmenu finally fixes the problem where the Network Manager applet randomly stops working: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/li … 7-0ubuntu1 big_smile

#2136 2013-06-10 02:13:01

oi_wtf

gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu should conflict gnome-settings-daemon-compat, both contain /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-fallback-mount-helper

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#2137 2013-06-10 03:49:45

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:

gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu should conflict gnome-settings-daemon-compat, both contain /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-fallback-mount-helper

I removed that file from gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu instead, since the compat package may be needed for other DE's.

#2138 2013-06-10 05:43:21

divansantana

chenxiaolong wrote:
divansantana wrote:

I'll take a look at the hud. It may require the new unity-gtk-module package I just added.

For the missing lens, just install unity-scopes. It is no longer possible to use any of the default Ubuntu lens without having the Smart Scopes installed.

EDIT: Could you provide more details on how HUD is not working? It's working fine in Nautilus for me: http://i.imgur.com/6Xb4SDO.png

Ok I reinstalled all packages from the repo and applied latest update - I have unity-gtk-module 0.0.0daily13.06.07-1 installed too.
The HUD is not working for me mostly eg:
1) Searching for suspend or shutdown returns nothing.
2) Searching for any query from my clipboard (diodon) returns nothing.
3) It seems results from currently open window/program works.
4) Looks like searching from indicators isn't working.
Any idea on the HUD? smile

Dash+scopes is working for me now - thanks. smile

#2139 2013-06-10 06:47:20

samurai

Silex89 wrote:

I think I'm giving up.

sad

+1 sad

#2140 2013-06-10 20:39:12

gianluca.pettinello

Updated and no problem. If possible to remove gtest-ubuntu from xpathselector it would be ok. Do you know how to have one click launch in Launcher?
Gianluca

#2141 2013-06-11 00:52:31

chenxiaolong

Some information concerning the recent update

I will be merging the glib-ubuntu branch soon in the git repo. The packages are currently patched to use Arch Linux's glib2 package, but I've found that using glib2-ubuntu is much more stable. This fixes the issue where the session indicator randomly selects a menu item without the user clicking.

The HUD no longer searches the indicators. I don't know if this a bug or feature removal, but this does not work in Ubuntu either:

Arch Linux: http://i.imgur.com/ZgEEnMf.jpg
Ubuntu: http://i.imgur.com/fEVimUZ.jpg

The HUD was just rewritten a little bit ago, so it may just be that the feature is not reimplemented yet.

To those having issues with Unity not starting after the updates, please run:

COMPIZ_CONFIG_PROFILE="ubuntu" ccsm

and try enabling the Unity plugin.

Upcoming updates:

* The home and trash icons on the desktop will be hidden by default like in Ubuntu. This only affects people who have ubuntu-default-settings installed
* I will try to patch xpathselect to not require gtest-ubuntu. I'll probably have to patch more packages in the future. It's good that Ubuntu is adding tests to the source code, but they don't seem to test to see if the packages can build without them.

EDIT: Confirmed that the dash double-click behavior is present in Ubuntu too.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-06-11 01:11:05)

#2142 2013-06-11 03:13:09

Silex89

chenxiaolong wrote:

Some information concerning the recent update

I will be merging the glib-ubuntu branch soon in the git repo. The packages are currently patched to use Arch Linux's glib2 package, but I've found that using glib2-ubuntu is much more stable. This fixes the issue where the session indicator randomly selects a menu item without the user clicking.

The HUD no longer searches the indicators. I don't know if this a bug or feature removal, but this does not work in Ubuntu either:

Arch Linux: http://i.imgur.com/ZgEEnMf.jpg
Ubuntu: http://i.imgur.com/fEVimUZ.jpg

The HUD was just rewritten a little bit ago, so it may just be that the feature is not reimplemented yet.

To those having issues with Unity not starting after the updates, please run:

COMPIZ_CONFIG_PROFILE="ubuntu" ccsm

and try enabling the Unity plugin.

Upcoming updates:

* The home and trash icons on the desktop will be hidden by default like in Ubuntu. This only affects people who have ubuntu-default-settings installed
* I will try to patch xpathselect to not require gtest-ubuntu. I'll probably have to patch more packages in the future. It's good that Ubuntu is adding tests to the source code, but they don't seem to test to see if the packages can build without them.

EDIT: Confirmed that the dash double-click behavior is present in Ubuntu too.

Thank you for all the updates, Chen. I'll check as soon as possible if it works for me smile.

Regards.

Best Guitar Solo Ever

#2143 2013-06-11 06:44:17

divansantana

Chen, things seem more stable with latest updates smile
Secondly I downgraded the hud package and all seems to be working nicely again. I use the search indicators very frequently.
pacman -Ud /var/cache/pacman/pkg/hud-13.04.0daily13.04.03-103-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Hopefully they fix it upstream soon.

#2144 2013-06-11 07:07:51

chenxiaolong

divansantana wrote:

Chen, things seem more stable with latest updates smile
Secondly I downgraded the hud package and all seems to be working nicely again. I use the search indicators very frequently.
pacman -Ud /var/cache/pacman/pkg/hud-13.04.0daily13.04.03-103-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Hopefully they fix it upstream soon.

I'm happy to hear that things are more stable now after that update mess big_smile

I set my build server to keep that version of hud so it will never be deleted. Here's the link if you ever need to download the package again: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/job/UFA-2.0-Build-hud/11/ I agree that the feature is very useful. I may file a bug report tomorrow.

#2145 2013-06-11 16:34:04

b9anders

I am back on Unity and having some oddities -

I can't seem to find any setting that let's my laptop suspend to ram when I close the lid on it.

I also can't seem to switch the keyboard to Danish. Although the ibus client is running, Danish is set and everything. It still remains at english...

#2146 2013-06-13 02:32:31

danym
Website

I'm not using unity, but using some elements from Unity-for-Arch to have menu from gtk applications in Window Menubar plasma applet (on kde).  Since the update from 2 days ago, there are no menu exported by appmenu-gtk(2,3).  It seems to be replaced by unity-gtk-module anyway.  Only kde apps have their menus exported.  Is there something l'm missing?

sin² x + cos² x = 1

#2147 2013-06-13 06:50:21

chenxiaolong

The build server will probably be down quite a bit for the next few hours (maybe even days). There are severe thunderstorms and some tornadoes here in Ohio and some services are out (telephone and internet). Only power is still working.

I'll reply to previous posts when the weather is a little better smile

#2148 2013-06-13 08:56:19

AlexRu

some of the last updates broke monodevelop appmenu plugin. Menu is exported on top, but when menubar item clicked no dropdown menu shown

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mono … n-appmenu/

I tried to downgrade something - libindicat*, libdbusmenu, indicator-appmenu, but it is not helped to me(
Any ideas?

Last edited by AlexRu (2013-06-13 08:56:58)

#2149 2013-06-13 22:05:14

hbdee
Website

I'm having problems in a non-Unity environment with global menus for gtk+ apps since updating as well. Gtk2 apps simply don't use global menu and gtk3 apps have no menus at all, either in the apps themselves or in a global menu. I've updated and/or installed gtk{2,3}-ubuntu, glib2-ubuntu, libdbusmenu, and unity-gtk-module. Am I missing something or is global menus in non-Unity environments broken now?

#2150 2013-06-14 00:56:37

oi_wtf

@danym, hbdee:

does the unity-gtk-module appear in GTK_MODULES like this?

$ echo $GTK_MODULES 
canberra-gtk-module:unity-gtk-module:overlay-scrollbar

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

Board footer