Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

It does appears like this

$ echo $GTK_MODULES
canberra-gtk-module:unity-gtk-module

sin² x + cos² x = 1

#2152 2013-06-14 01:55:35

oi_wtf

well, then it should be loaded... i thought, maybe it wasn't set up correctly for non-Unity sessions...

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-06-14 01:55:54)

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#2153 2013-06-15 12:32:32

gianluca.pettinello

Is it possible to avoid the installation of unity-scopes? I find it slows down the system. Is it also possible to avoid the modification of glib2. In my opinion this is too deep change in the system smile Finally I find the double click in dashboard a bit odd... but this is my personal feeling

#2154 2013-06-15 14:28:50

oi_wtf

You don't have to install all the scopes, just the home scope is necessary...
But I'd also like to have arch's glib2 back as soon as possible, I think it's only a bit more stable because of the newer upstream version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#2155 2013-06-15 20:04:45

chenxiaolong

I'd like to remove glib2-ubuntu as well. I've tried reverting the changes that introduced the dependency on that package, but that caused some weird issues besides instability, such as the session menu automatically clicking whatever button is under the mouse.

If anyone is worried about the developmental version of glib2 being used. I can make it so that it's Arch's glib2 + 1 upstream patch that's needed for Unity.

Also, despite the glib2-ubuntu name, no Ubuntu patches are being applied. It's plain glib2 2.37.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-06-15 20:05:30)

#2156 2013-06-17 00:18:05

chenxiaolong

Disabling double-click behavior in the Unity dash: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/06/the- … n-the-dash

#2157 2013-06-17 14:38:50

gianluca.pettinello

chenxiaolong wrote:

Disabling double-click behavior in the Unity dash: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/06/the- … n-the-dash

Thanks!!! Should have seen by myself

#2158 2013-06-17 16:50:25

chenxiaolong

b9anders wrote:

I am back on Unity and having some oddities -

I can't seem to find any setting that let's my laptop suspend to ram when I close the lid on it.

I also can't seem to switch the keyboard to Danish. Although the ibus client is running, Danish is set and everything. It still remains at english...

I think you can change the suspend settings in gnome-tweak-tool.

For ibus, it's kind of complicated due to GNOME making things only work for gnome-shell. You need to open gnome-control-center, go the Regions settings, and add any keyboard layout. Then open the ibus settings using the tray icon and choose the settings you want to use.

#2159 2013-06-18 21:05:07

tydell
Website

I have a weird problem with unity for a week I think. I lost wallpaper and only background color is visible. The problem is that when I set new wallpaper it doesn't appear. When I have some application's window opened (e.g. nautilus) on the desktop and I move that window, the window stay on the desktop in every place I move it, so after a while I have something like nautilus opened 30 times. When I minimize opened window everything is staying painted on the desktop.

I checked logs and other things but there is nothing weird.

(sorry for my english)

#2160 2013-06-19 01:06:53

chenxiaolong

tydell wrote:

I have a weird problem with unity for a week I think. I lost wallpaper and only background color is visible. The problem is that when I set new wallpaper it doesn't appear. When I have some application's window opened (e.g. nautilus) on the desktop and I move that window, the window stay on the desktop in every place I move it, so after a while I have something like nautilus opened 30 times. When I minimize opened window everything is staying painted on the desktop.

I checked logs and other things but there is nothing weird.

(sorry for my english)

You mean it looks like Windows XP? Just kidding tongue

Can you make sure that the desktop is enabled in gnome-tweak-tool? Also, you may need to install gnome-settings-daemon-compat.

By the way, your English is great!

#2161 2013-06-19 09:33:22

oi_wtf

tydell wrote:

(sorry for my english)

chenxiaolong wrote:

By the way, your English is great!

Yeah, that's right. It's not on a level you'd need to apologize for.

#2162 2013-06-19 19:57:12

b9anders

chenxiaolong wrote:

I think you can change the suspend settings in gnome-tweak-tool.

nope. :-/

fixed the ibus issue though.

#2163 2013-06-20 11:45:00

gandalfmagic

Hello everyone.

First of all, I want to thank chenxiaolong for the great work.

Then, I would like to report a problem with the keyboard layout in my unity installation.
I use "it" layout on my distro, and when I start a gnome-shell or kde session the layout is correctly assigned.
But every time I start a unity session, I get the "us" layout, even if it's not actually added in my settings.

I've already tried messing around with xorg config files, and played with keyboard settings in unity and gnome-shell, but nothing worked.
Can you give me some advice?

Thank you.

#2164 2013-06-20 23:08:07

aabmass

Hi all.

I am having a bit of trouble with indicator-datetime or gnome-control-center. My clock is stuck in 24-hour format and I can't change any of the settings for it. Right clicking the clock does nothing.

When I try to change the format through gnome-control-center running in a terminal, as soon as I click on "Time & Date," it crashes with this:

aaron@aaron-hp-arch:~$ gnome-control-center -v

** (gnome-control-center:11918): WARNING **: Ignoring launcher gufw (missing desktop file)

** (gnome-control-center:11918): WARNING **: Ignoring launcher landscape-client-settings (missing desktop file)

** (gnome-control-center:11918): WARNING **: Ignoring launcher language-selector (missing desktop file)

** (gnome-control-center:11918): WARNING **: Ignoring launcher software-properties-gtk (missing desktop file)

** (gnome-control-center:11918): WARNING **: Ignoring launcher ubuntuone-installer (missing desktop file)
** (gnome-control-center:11918): DEBUG: Enabling debugging
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
aaron@aaron-hp-arch:~$ 

It doesn't seem to give any good debug information sad I am using your Chen's Jenkins repo, by the way.

#2165 2013-06-21 01:26:15

chenxiaolong

aabmass wrote:

Hi all.

I am having a bit of trouble with indicator-datetime or gnome-control-center. My clock is stuck in 24-hour format and I can't change any of the settings for it. Right clicking the clock does nothing.

When I try to change the format through gnome-control-center running in a terminal, as soon as I click on "Time & Date," it crashes with this:

aaron@aaron-hp-arch:~$ gnome-control-center -v

** (gnome-control-center:11918): WARNING **: Ignoring launcher gufw (missing desktop file)

** (gnome-control-center:11918): WARNING **: Ignoring launcher landscape-client-settings (missing desktop file)

** (gnome-control-center:11918): WARNING **: Ignoring launcher language-selector (missing desktop file)

** (gnome-control-center:11918): WARNING **: Ignoring launcher software-properties-gtk (missing desktop file)

** (gnome-control-center:11918): WARNING **: Ignoring launcher ubuntuone-installer (missing desktop file)
** (gnome-control-center:11918): DEBUG: Enabling debugging
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
aaron@aaron-hp-arch:~$ 

It doesn't seem to give any good debug information sad I am using your Chen's Jenkins repo, by the way.

This is because the time indicator is not compatible with GNOME Control Center 3.8 yet. I'm not at my computer right now, but I think you can change the setting by clicking a checkbox in dconf-editor at com->canonical->indicators

#2166 2013-06-21 04:02:26

aabmass

chenxiaolong wrote:

This is because the time indicator is not compatible with GNOME Control Center 3.8 yet. I'm not at my computer right now, but I think you can change the setting by clicking a checkbox in dconf-editor at com->canonical->indicators

Thanks for the quick response chenxiaolong! You were right, I found it in there. Now I have the date format right, but the calendar doesn't show up. I have the dconf box checked for that too.

And also one more issue with gnome-control-center. It looks like the theme is messed up, but it isn't a global gtk thing; this only happens in gnome-control-center settings. Here are some examples: http://imgur.com/a/MVbD6#ZjKL0dy

#2167 2013-06-21 05:36:28

chenxiaolong

aabmass wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Thanks for the quick response chenxiaolong! You were right, I found it in there. Now I have the date format right, but the calendar doesn't show up. I have the dconf box checked for that too.

And also one more issue with gnome-control-center. It looks like the theme is messed up, but it isn't a global gtk thing; this only happens in gnome-control-center settings. Here are some examples: http://imgur.com/a/MVbD6#ZjKL0dy

No problem! I'll take a look at why the calendar doesn't show up. I've never ran into that issue before.

With regards to gnome-control-center, that bug is actually caused by using version 3.8 with the overlay scrollbars. A workaround is to open "System Settings" from the session indicator, which causes the regular scrollbars to be used.

#2168 2013-06-21 11:50:53

qiuwei

Hi, @chenxiaolong,

It seems that the latest update makes nautilus fail to handle the desktop again.

EDIT: after reinstall nautilus-ubuntu and restart the xserver, it works.

Last edited by qiuwei (2013-06-21 12:08:41)

#2169 2013-06-21 17:58:27

gianluca.pettinello

Hello all,
I have probems in compiling unity-lens-video. I get an error on Gee missing. Could be linked to the need to have  libgee06 and not libgee for compiling?
Thanks

EDIT: I upgraded to the last version of unity-lens-video (130621) and now it compiles correctly.

Last edited by gianluca.pettinello (2013-06-22 12:01:28)

#2170 2013-06-21 20:42:08

aabmass

chenxiaolong wrote:

No problem! I'll take a look at why the calendar doesn't show up. I've never ran into that issue before.

With regards to gnome-control-center, that bug is actually caused by using version 3.8 with the overlay scrollbars. A workaround is to open "System Settings" from the session indicator, which causes the regular scrollbars to be used.

Works great. And thanks for looking into it!

#2171 2013-06-24 14:53:24

divansantana

If I go to appearances or unity tweak tool and try change themes I only see Radiance and Ambiance even though for example, /usr/share/themes/Raleigh exists.
Is it no longer possible to select these alternate themes with the latest unity?

#2172 2013-06-24 16:02:30

Slovenijakp

Hi, it's me again.

Unity doesn't work for me sad It just loads the wallpaper. However, I can press for example CTRL+ALT+T for terminal and it opens it.
Here  are my .xsession-errors.

N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {15fe7731b7dc472db2c15e69e076a487}unix:/run/user/1000/pulse/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper.
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ccp
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ccp
+ dconf dump /desktop/unity/
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: composite
+ dconf load /com/canonical/unity/
+ dconf reset -f /desktop/unity/
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: opengl

(gnome-settings-daemon:9108): PackageKit-WARNING **: failed to set proxy: GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._pk_5fengine_5ferror.Code3: failed to obtain auth

(gnome-settings-daemon:9108): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to create device: failed to obtain org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-device auth

(gnome-settings-daemon:9108): updates-plugin-WARNING **: failed to set proxies: GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._pk_5fengine_5ferror.Code3: failed to obtain auth
compiz (core) - Info: Unity is not supported by your hardware. Enabling software rendering instead (slow).

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-application-handlers

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-command-line

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-log-out

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-print-setup

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-printing

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-save-to-disk

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: user-administration-disabled

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: color-shading-type

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: picture-opacity

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: picture-options

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: picture-uri

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: primary-color

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: secondary-color

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: show-full-name-in-top-bar

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: show-notifications

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: ubuntu-lock-on-suspend

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-application-handlers

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-command-line

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-log-out

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-print-setup

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-printing

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-save-to-disk

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: user-administration-disabled

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: color-shading-type

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: picture-opacity

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: picture-options

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: secondary-color

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: show-full-name-in-top-bar

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: show-notifications

** (gnome-screensaver:9146): WARNING **: Config key not handled: ubuntu-lock-on-suspend

** (nm-applet:9148): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.
compiz (core) - Info: Unity is not supported by your hardware. Enabling software rendering instead (slow).
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: opengl

** (nm-applet:9148): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching connections: (32) Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details..

** (nm-applet:9148): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (32) Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: mousepoll
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: mousepoll
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: copytex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: copytex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: gnomecompat
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: gnomecompat
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: snap
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: snap
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: animation
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: animation
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: workarounds
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: workarounds
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: vpswitch
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: vpswitch
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: wall
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: wall
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ezoom
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ezoom
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: session
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: session
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/slovenijakp/.compiz/session/1099e3f327a2a3caaa137210793777605700000090460001"
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: fade
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: fade
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: scale
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: scale

(gnome-settings-daemon:9108): PackageKit-WARNING **: couldn't parse execption 'GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._pk_5ftransaction_5ferror.Code4: GetDistroUpgrades not supported by backend', please report

(gnome-settings-daemon:9108): updates-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get upgrades: GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._pk_5ftransaction_5ferror.Code4: GetDistroUpgrades not supported by backend

(gnome-settings-daemon:9108): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: Unable to get default sink
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
      after 11685 requests (11685 known processed) with 5 events remaining.

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:9145): Gdk-WARNING **: polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

gnome-session[9046]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(gnome-screensaver:9146): Gdk-WARNING **: gnome-screensaver: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

gtk-window-decorator: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

(nm-applet:9148): Gdk-WARNING **: nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(gnome-settings-daemon:9108): Gdk-WARNING **: gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(tracker-miner-fs:9149): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: Owner of volume monitor org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor disconnected from the bus; removing drives/volumes/mounts

(tracker-miner-fs:9149): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: Error while sending AddMatch() message: Povezava je zaprta

(tracker-miner-fs:9149): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: Error while sending AddMatch() message: Povezava je zaprta

Tracker-Message: Closed sqlite3 database:'/home/slovenijakp/.cache/tracker/meta.db'

What am I doing wrong? What should I do? (I already tried compiz.reset )
Help is greatly appreciated, as always.

-Slovenijakp

Last edited by Slovenijakp (2013-06-24 19:18:45)

#2173 2013-06-27 09:59:56

gadelat

• RSSOwl doesn't have functional menu in unity. It does not roll out menu after clicking.

• When I switch to Guest session, then back and then again to guest session, it requires password which I don't know.

• When I switch to Guest session, then I logout and I want to log in to my normal locked account, it requires password twice - lightdm asks for one and then I guess gnome-screensaver for another.

• Item "Online accounts" shows twice in Dash. First looks like this, second looks like this. Gnome-settings use second.

• Online accounts have no icons for protocols and does not show any fields when I try to add account

• compiz.reset does not work for me, it hangs on "Waiting for Compiz to exit...". If I kill compiz manually nothing happens. If I restart X session, settings stayed same.

Can anyone confirm or give advice for these issues?

Btw does anyone know when will be new global menu integration addon for firefox 22?

Last edited by gadelat (2013-06-27 10:14:35)

#2174 2013-06-27 15:01:52

sollidsnake

I don't know if you guys already know, but Mir is to be shiped as default display server in 13.10
Check the article and the video. Looks really awesome
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/06/mir- … untu-13-10

Non serviam

#2175 2013-06-27 17:00:11

mieLouk

Hi,

I just installed Arch and Unity on a new laptop from the dropbox repo. lightdm is enabled, he says he has reached target Graphical Interface, but Unity doesn't start.

Someone any suggestions on where to look?

I find it also peculiar that there are no folders in my home directory. What might have gone wrong?

Journalctl says that lightdm is working fine?

EDIT: Never mind :s

Last edited by mieLouk (2013-06-27 17:59:27)

Board footer