You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-01 14:53:01

Exarch

SSH behind router in apartment

Hey Guys,
So I've been doing some researching and I havent had a huge amount of luck.

I'm trying to ssh between my traveling laptop and my home server. The server is behind an apartment controlled router(ie. i can't set up port forwarding) and the laptop is usually behind a university controlled router(ditto). How do i ssh between the two?

Ideally i'd like to use it to stream music and get files via sshfs. I currently have a remote server that will work to set up reverse tunneling, but i'm interested in shutting that down. 

I'd prefer a direct connection, so I've looking into udp hole punching in the form of pwnat, but i can't seem to get it to work.

Any suggestions? Or is there a much easier way?

ps. an idea just struck me. I'd be alright with running the remote server for a brief period in the day to set up a connection between my laptop and the home server, in other words, traditional udp hole punching: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDP_hole_punching

however i have no idea how to set that up.

Thanks!

#2 2013-07-01 15:20:11

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: SSH behind router in apartment

What can't you open a port (port forwarding) to your apartment router?  Use a high port like >30000 and make sure /etc/ssh/sshd_config matches it.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2013-07-01 15:51:41

Exarch

Do you mean via the router? I was trying to say that since it's the apartment wide router they have password protected it so the tenants can't fiddle with it. I can't change any settings on it.

#4 2013-07-01 15:56:54

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

OK.. I misunderstood.  Your apartment complex gives you inet service via their equipment.  Since both ends of your connections are owned by someone else and you cannot setup a forwarding on either, I think you're stuck.  Perhaps someone else with more experience can suggestion something else.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#5 2013-07-01 16:17:01

cookies

You might try and talk to those guys that manage your network at home, maybe you can get some port forwarding set up that way.

#6 2013-07-02 21:23:51

abrambleninja

If you set up a free VPN like Hamachi (https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/), you should be able to do it. Both computers have to be logged into the same Hamachi network, but that shouldn't be a problem.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hamachi

Such is life in glorious Arstotzka.

Board footer