You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-06 10:08:07

ssl6

Alternate distros for a web server

I've been running my web server on arch using the lts kernel for ages, but since i moved it into a vm on an esxi host, it's been troublesome at best and vmware tools isn't much better

so i'm looking for an alternative distro. so far debian or centos seem like good candidates and im currently grabbing centos to start testing in a new vm

I thought I'd post and see if anyone has any input that my googling may not have yielded?

this is a signature

#2 2013-07-06 10:16:04

progandy

Re: Alternate distros for a web server

I'd usually go for debian or centos. Maybe alpine linux is also worth considering.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2013-07-06 10:32:38

ssl6

I saw another thread about alpine I think when i was browsing this forum, I suppose I'll have a look at it

im running centos live right now, one thing i like is the control panel to easily configure ldap which may simplify AD integration from what I see, though I probably won't be running a gui, i dont think....well maybe...the esxi hosts 32gb of ram is barely being touch with only 2 vm's on it

at this point i'm really just looking for something quick and simple enough to get up and running. I don't have much time to troubleshoot issues these days so i really just want something that just works so to speak

Last edited by ssl6 (2013-07-06 10:33:52)

this is a signature

#4 2013-07-06 13:15:51

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

I use CentOS for (almost) all of my server needs... Experiment, come to your own conclusion for what YOU are comfortable administering.

The reasons I prefer CentOS:
- It's familiar to me
- It has a much longer life-span until EOL compared to that of Fedora etc
- It has much less upkeep compared to a rolling dist like Arch (which I have used on servers before going back to CentOS)

#5 2013-07-07 12:55:14

mythus
Website

I use Centos with Kloxo on my VPS. Before I settled with Centos, I breifly experimented with others. While some were faster than Centos, I found Centos more complete and generally more stable and trouble free for my website needs.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#6 2013-07-08 15:52:39

Cromulent
Website

I'll probably get flamed for this but I run Ubuntu Server on my servers. For me the major advantage of Ubuntu is predictable LTS release dates. I know that I have 2 years between LTS releases and I can skip a generation if I want without having to worry about support ending before the LTS release after that.

Arch is great on the desktop (especially for me as I use my desktop for programming 99% of the time) but I've tried it on my servers in the past and just didn't want the maintenance hassle that came with it.

#7 2013-07-08 16:11:37

jdarnold
Website

Try the Linux Format magazine Linux Distro Picker tool and see what it says: http://tuxradar.com/content/distro-picker-0

#8 2013-07-08 16:29:57

jc61990
Website

I ran CentOS on my web servers for 6 years, just switched over to Debian 7 this year, both are good for web servers. I've used arch on my server before, the constant updating can be a pain if you don't have the time to babysit the server. Debian and CentOS are for the most part very stabe and get maybe one or two updates here and there.

i usually go to http://distrowatch.com/ they have everything about every linux distro out there

i also sometimes like to use howtoforge's guides for ispconfig, i skip the ispconfig part since i don't use it personally, but the rest of their guides set you up nice and get lamp setup for a web server.

CentOS 6.4 http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-serve … spconfig-3

Debian 7 http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-serve … spconfig-3

#9 2013-07-09 06:34:14

HungGarTiger

I'm currently in the process of setting up a web server, I've been pretty set on Debian 7 as Debian is a rock. I've considered Ubuntu Server although it is essentially headless Ubuntu, so I'll assume it still comes with a lot of bloat.

CentOS sounds interesting, although having no experience I'll probably go the route I'm more familiar with. Not to offtopic but I have a quick question that doesn't deserve it's own thread - Is there any benefit downloading LAMP stack over the packages individually?

"No sympathy for the devil. If you buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Hunter S. Thompson

#10 2013-07-09 06:45:46

progandy

Using the LAMP stack in a professional environment is not a very good idea. In most cases you'll have to dissect the config in order to harden it. If you set it up manually there will be no bloated config causing security risks. If you use LAMP it will also be difficult to install security updates for one of the components.

Last edited by progandy (2013-07-09 06:46:35)

#11 2013-07-09 21:35:45

GI Jack

I think you've nailed it, debian or centos.

Using the LAMP stack in a professional environment is not a very good idea.

explain this to me, because a good deal proffesional web enviroments run LAMP. If you buy webhosting, its more or less provided as LAMP.

LAMP is widely respected as a entry to mid range application stack, and a lightweight low cost where things like websphere and oracle databases, or other high end solutions would be excessive.

Last edited by GI Jack (2013-07-09 21:38:10)

#12 2013-07-09 22:59:25

progandy

GI Jack wrote:

I think you've nailed it, debian or centos.

Using the LAMP stack in a professional environment is not a very good idea.

explain this to me, because a good deal proffesional web enviroments run LAMP. If you buy webhosting, its more or less provided as LAMP.

LAMP is widely respected as a entry to mid range application stack, and a lightweight low cost where things like websphere and oracle databases, or other high end solutions would be excessive.

Sorry, I meant using the LAMP stack in a single package is not a good idea. Use separate packages for apache, php, mysql, ... , then you can react better when security problems in a single component occur. I read "LAMP stack" as "XAMPP-like package" because HungGarTiger used in as opposite to "separate packages"

[...] is there any benefit downloading LAMP stack over the packages individually? [...]

Last edited by progandy (2013-07-09 23:03:09)

Board footer