You are not logged in.

#2176 2013-06-27 17:11:27

Thaodan

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

sollidsnake wrote:

I don't know if you guys already know, but Mir is to be shiped as default display server in 13.10
Check the article and the video. Looks really awesome
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/06/mir- … untu-13-10

you forgot irony tag...

Linux odin 3.13.1-pf #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 5 21:47:28 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#2177 2013-06-28 20:37:49

gadelat

In some programs under unity I have in menu bar items like "gtk-new", "gtk-open", "gtk-quit", "gtk-about" instead of regular names. It does it e.g. in shutter, geany. Under gnome it's ok.

#2178 2013-06-29 03:47:38

aabmass

gadelat wrote:

In some programs under unity I have in menu bar items like "gtk-new", "gtk-open", "gtk-quit", "gtk-about" instead of regular names. It does it e.g. in shutter, geany. Under gnome it's ok.

Ya, I actually have the same thing. I only noticed it in Geany.

#2179 2013-07-03 17:11:14

darkjack

I'm having trouble getting my mouse cursor theme set. I have really weird behavior where the theme applies to every thing but the default pointer. Do you guys have a working cursor theme? How can I set mine up so that it works with lightdm and unity?

#2180 2013-07-03 18:44:07

Exeleration-G

Hello everybody, I've been having some problems with running Unity on Arch. I have been posting about them in the Newbie Corner, but this is probably a more appropriate place to post.

After trying out Arch in a Virtualbox for a while, I went to install Arch as my main distro, replacing Ubuntu 13.04. I kept my home folder in the process and this might be the thing where my problems are coming from.

I've installed Unity via the repositories from xe-xe.org. I'm starting Unity via LightDM (from the packages lightdm-ubuntu and lightdm-unity-greeter).

The problem I'm having is that I don't see my Unity Dash and upper panel (Screenshot).

Other things seem to work well: the theme has been adjusted to Ambiance and other stuff, like the wallpaper selection tool, works fine too.

My problem seems to be exactly the problem that this guy is having. Only in my case, the advice from the Unity-on-Arch's GitHub page didn't work:

$ compiz.reset
      $ rm -rvf ~/.cache/unity/
      $ rm -vf ~/.cache/unity-lens-video

I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!

#2181 2013-07-03 23:41:48

chenxiaolong

Sorry about the complete silence over the past couple weeks. I've just started working as an intern so I don't have as much time as I used to for working on Unity. I have a break for the July 4th weekend (in the US) though, so hopefully I can fix some of the bugs in the recent updates.

If everything goes as planned, we will have no problems with Mir. Ubuntu 13.10's Unity should still run under X. If something happens and it doesn't, that's okay too. I already have Mir running on Arch. I'm sure some of you have noticed the automatic builds at my UnityNext-for-Arch project on Github smile

#2182 2013-07-04 06:23:49

bubbathevtog

chenxiaolong wrote:

If everything goes as planned, we will have no problems with Mir. Ubuntu 13.10's Unity should still run under X. If something happens and it doesn't, that's okay too. I already have Mir running on Arch. I'm sure some of you have noticed the automatic builds at my UnityNext-for-Arch project on Github smile

I know this is pure speculation, but I'm curious. What do you think that the possibility of Mir being in the extra repo is? I'm just kinda curious with how much work load you have, since maintaining compatibility with Unity on Arch plus now Mir on Arch is quite a lot.
And again THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HARD WORK!!!!

Last edited by bubbathevtog (2013-07-04 06:28:54)

#2183 2013-07-04 11:45:54

oi_wtf

darkjack wrote:

I'm having trouble getting my mouse cursor theme set. I have really weird behavior where the theme applies to every thing but the default pointer. Do you guys have a working cursor theme? How can I set mine up so that it works with lightdm and unity?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cu … sor_Themes

the icons/default method almost always works...

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-07-04 11:47:18)

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#2184 2013-07-05 05:34:56

chenxiaolong

bubbathevtog wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

I know this is pure speculation, but I'm curious. What do you think that the possibility of Mir being in the extra repo is? I'm just kinda curious with how much work load you have, since maintaining compatibility with Unity on Arch plus now Mir on Arch is quite a lot.

YOU'RE WELCOME! big_smile big_smile

I will be bringing Mir to the extra repo soon since LightDM will require Mir in the future, if it doesn't already. I'm just waiting for Ubuntu to update XMir to the latest version of Xorg, so we don't have to deal with downgrades. I hope to get Mir support in Arch perfect while it's still optional, since Ubuntu 14.04's Unity will be Mir-only.

Luckily, Unity-on-Mir is actually Unity-on-X-on-Mir right now. Once Mir works, I can just forget about it until 14.04. There are no compatibility issues I need to worry about (yay!).

By the way, I have binary repos for all the Mir stuff. I just didn't post the links so people wouldn't complain about blank screens or orange cursors tongue Those who are really adventurous and don't care about broken systems can add my dropbox repo to pacman.conf and change Unity-for-Arch to UnityNext-for-Arch.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-07-05 05:35:09)

#2185 2013-07-08 08:41:10

serdotlinecho

Hi Chen and fellow Unity on Arch users.

I have installed Unity on Arch and running it for 2 days now and I really like Unity on Arch than on Ubuntu. Thank you Chen Xiao Long big_smile
I would like to have Firefox globalmenu enable but the extension is not compatible with Firefox 22. sad

Screenshot_from_2013_07_08_16_16_09.jpg

#2186 2013-07-08 08:51:37

gadelat

Qt 4.8.4 which is in current unity-for-arch has ugly bug for me where numbers in qt spinboxes are arabic instead of numeric, see QTBUG-28843 . Please update qt in unity-for-arch.

#2187 2013-07-08 14:59:10

Thaodan

chenxiaolong wrote:
bubbathevtog wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

I will be bringing Mir to the extra repo soon since LightDM will require Mir in the future, if it doesn't already. I'm just waiting for Ubuntu to update XMir to the latest version of Xorg, so we don't have to deal with downgrades. I hope to get Mir support in Arch perfect while it's still optional, since Ubuntu 14.04's Unity will be Mir-only.

Luckily, Unity-on-Mir is actually Unity-on-X-on-Mir right now. Once Mir works, I can just forget about it until 14.04. There are no compatibility issues I need to worry about (yay!).

By the way, I have binary repos for all the Mir stuff. I just didn't post the links so people wouldn't complain about blank screens or orange cursors tongue Those who are really adventurous and don't care about broken systems can add my dropbox repo to pacman.conf and change Unity-for-Arch to UnityNext-for-Arch.

So there will there be no lightdm version for non Mir users?
Normally I'm not very political in case of software as long everyone is fair and honorable, but Canocial ist an other thing...

Linux odin 3.13.1-pf #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 5 21:47:28 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#2188 2013-07-08 15:25:51

whzee

serdotlinecho wrote:

I have installed Unity on Arch and running it for 2 days now and I really like Unity on Arch than on Ubuntu. Thank you Chen Xiao Long big_smile
I would like to have Firefox globalmenu enable but the extension is not compatible with Firefox 22. sad

http://s13.postimg.org/4r85p5cpf/Screenshot_from_2013_07_08_16_16_09.jpg

+1. confirmed.

Also, empathy-ubuntu fails to login for me using gmail. Anyone else facing the same problem?

btw, awesome work, Chen. (:

cheers,
whyzee

#2189 2013-07-08 19:23:04

chenxiaolong

serdotlinecho wrote:

I'm really glad you like Unity on Arch smile

Unfortunately, the extension is no longer developed and doesn't work with Firefox >=22: https://launchpad.net/globalmenu-extension

The only way to get a global menubar now is to patch Firefox, but that easily takes over 3 hours to compile sad I'll have to see how hard it would be to make a firefox-ubuntu package.

#2190 2013-07-08 19:31:05

chenxiaolong

Thaodan wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
bubbathevtog wrote:

Normally I'm not very political in case of software as long everyone is fair and honorable, but Canocial ist an other thing...

LightDM will continue to work under X (at least for now), but yes, Mir will need to be installed. Luckily, the package is very small smile

#2191 2013-07-08 21:39:57

Thaodan

chenxiaolong wrote:
Thaodan wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

LightDM will continue to work under X (at least for now), but yes, Mir will need to be installed. Luckily, the package is very small smile

Hmm, Mir needs to be installed without being used?

#2192 2013-07-08 21:45:09

chenxiaolong

Thaodan wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
Thaodan wrote:

Hmm, Mir needs to be installed without being used?

I'm not at my computer to find the exact details, but LightDM doesn't have any sort of plugin system. So the /usr/bin/lightdm binary has to link to all its dependencies for all the features to work. I have no idea what would happen if the Mir libraries were missing.

#2193 2013-07-08 22:22:42

Thaodan

btw: a source would be nice.

#2194 2013-07-09 06:16:03

chenxiaolong

Thaodan wrote:

btw: a source would be nice.

I just took a look at the source code and found that I was wrong about what I said. LightDM currently does not link against Mir. It communicates with Mir via a socket. I'll still need to see whether the new LightDM can run without Mir installed though.

#2195 2013-07-09 06:40:48

whzee

chenxiaolong wrote:
serdotlinecho wrote:

Unfortunately, the extension is no longer developed and doesn't work with Firefox >=22: https://launchpad.net/globalmenu-extension

The only way to get a global menubar now is to patch Firefox, but that easily takes over 3 hours to compile sad I'll have to see how hard it would be to make a firefox-ubuntu package.

Oh! NVM then. It doesn't really matter.

BTW, can anyone confirm the empathy-ubuntu login problem that I face?

cheers

#2196 2013-07-09 13:26:05

oi_wtf

chenxiaolong wrote:
serdotlinecho wrote:

Not really a fix, but if you deactivate the menubar and hide the Firefox-Button which appears when deactivating the menubar using stylish or userChrome.css the menubar will be gone unless you press F10. Or just use that one button, most things are accessible through the button and it doesn't take much space...

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-07-09 13:27:46)

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#2197 2013-07-09 18:29:23

serdotlinecho

oi_wtf wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
serdotlinecho wrote:

Not really a fix, but if you deactivate the menubar and hide the Firefox-Button which appears when deactivating the menubar using stylish or userChrome.css the menubar will be gone unless you press F10. Or just use that one button, most things are accessible through the button and it doesn't take much space...

Yes, not really a big problem for firefox.

Today I installed Unity on my netbook and everything is working fine but there's something wrong with indicator-datetime:

Screenshot_from_2013_07_10_02_16_53.jpg

#2198 2013-07-09 19:13:20

divansantana

chenxiaolong wrote:

The HUD no longer searches the indicators. I don't know if this a bug or feature removal, but this does not work in Ubuntu either:

Arch Linux: http://i.imgur.com/ZgEEnMf.jpg
Ubuntu: http://i.imgur.com/fEVimUZ.jpg

The HUD was just rewritten a little bit ago, so it may just be that the feature is not reimplemented yet.

Hoping upstream ubuntu fixes the HUD to search indicators. I use it to search my clipboard. Still downgrading to the old version but that *might* be causing /usr/lib/unity/unity-panel-service to go buggy and use 100% cpu every now and then, if not something else is causing it.

#2199 2013-07-09 19:55:30

chenxiaolong

serdotlinecho wrote:
oi_wtf wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Yes, not really a big problem for firefox.

Today I installed Unity on my netbook and everything is working fine but there's something wrong with indicator-datetime:

http://s22.postimg.org/h3ab9wv4t/Screenshot_from_2013_07_10_02_16_53.jpg

I'm not sure what the exact cause is, but Ubuntu just added the ability to reorder the indicators. It has some sort of a priority system. Say, the session indicator is 20 and the power indicator is 30. An indicator with a priority of 25 would be between those two. I'm guessing that the datetime indicator does not have a priority right now.

EDIT: A few indicators + libunity failed to compile on my build server. I'm 99% sure that's what is causing the problems.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2013-07-09 19:57:20)

#2200 2013-07-09 22:50:37

divansantana

Thunderbird users looking to hide the menubar I found a great way since the default unity addons aren't working.
Install hidemenubar addon from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde … demenubar/
The menu is hidden but can still be access from alt+e for example or clicking on the icon left of the search box.
Doesn't integrate with the HUD but the current unity addons are broken and don't integrate either so this is def better.

Board footer