You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-11 10:23:32

axelectrik

Start in different Virtual Console

I have autologin in tty1 and tty2
TTY1:Gnome 3 Desktop for Normal Using
TTY2:Openbox Desktop for Gamming

For some reason, using TTY1 for some time with TTY2 active causes a kernel panic sad

I'm trying to make an script that after playing any game I could kill TTY2 and switch to TTY1 immediately.

Right now my way to kill TTY2 is disabling the service

systemctl stop getty@tty2.service

It does kill it but keeps me on the second screen, I would like it to send me to the first screen and kill the second one, and keep me on the first screen.

OR maybe find a way to run a command chossing the VC where I want it to run, let's say:
I'm on TTY2 and open konsole on TTY1

#2 2013-07-11 12:13:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Start in different Virtual Console

There are ways to do all that you mention, but it's not really clear what you want.  To open Konsole on the X session in tty1 from tty2 just specify the DISPLAY variable: `DISPLAY=:0 konsole`.  To change virtual terminals, use chvt.

You should probably focus on figuring out and solving the kernel panic rather than trying to make a very odd bandaid for it.  Two concurrent X sessions should run just fine.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-07-11 12:16:45)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-07-11 18:37:45

axelectrik

Re: Start in different Virtual Console

I agree, maybe I could use the variable to open the games from a .desktop file in the first screen on the second one.
And yes, the kernel panic seems very weird to me, it happens from nothing :S do you have any idea of what log could I check to try to determine the failure?
Thank you

Board footer