You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-19 16:51:07

archtom

samba4 protocols [solved]

Hey,

we are thinking about buying a Ricoh mp c305 spf printer / copy / scanner / fax and I was talking to the IT guy in the store today. He was describing some problems with the scan to smb function which would be very important for us. He told me to make sure if the old smb1.1 protocol is supported on our samba server.

I`m using the latest samba4 package from the arch repos as a standalone DC controller. There is nothing specified about protocols in my smb.conf. So is the standard configuration compatible to smb1.1 or do I have to adjust the smb.conf or is it completely incompatible and just too old?

I tried to google and look into samba documentation but couldn`t find a clear answer for my question, so I hope anyone here can help me.

Thanks

Last edited by archtom (2013-07-30 07:45:30)

#2 2013-07-19 17:39:30

andy123
Website

Re: samba4 protocols [solved]

Hi,
a quick search in the smb.conf manual turns up this:

client max protocol (G)

The value of the parameter (a string) is the highest protocol level that will be supported by the client.

Possible values are :

·   CORE: Earliest version. No concept of user names.

·   COREPLUS: Slight improvements on CORE for efficiency.

·   LANMAN1: First modern version of the protocol. Long filename support.

·   LANMAN2: Updates to Lanman1 protocol.

·   NT1: Current up to date version of the protocol. Used by Windows NT. Known as CIFS.

·   SMB2: Re-implementation of the SMB protocol. Used by Windows Vista and later versions of Windows. SMB2 has sub protocols available.

·   SMB2_02: The earliest SMB2 version.

·   SMB2_10: Windows 7 SMB2 version.

·   SMB2_22: Early Windows 8 SMB2 version.

·   SMB2_24: Windows 8 beta SMB2 version.

By default SMB2 selects the SMB2_10 variant.

·   SMB3: The same as SMB2. Used by Windows 8. SMB3 has sub protocols available.

·   SMB3_00: Windows 8 SMB3 version. (mostly the same as SMB2_24)

By default SMB3 selects the SMB3_00 variant.

Normally this option should not be set as the automatic negotiation phase in the SMB protocol takes care of choosing the appropriate protocol.

Default: client max protocol = SMB3

Example: client max protocol = LANMAN1

client min protocol (G)

This setting controls the minimum protocol version that the client will attempt to use.

Normally this option should not be set as the automatic negotiation phase in the SMB protocol takes care of choosing the appropriate protocol.

Default: client min protocol = CORE

Example: client min protocol = NT1

Is this what you were looking for?

i'm sorry for my poor english wirting skills…

#3 2013-07-19 17:59:09

archtom

andy123 wrote:

Hi,
a quick search in the smb.conf manual turns up this:

client max protocol (G)

The value of the parameter (a string) is the highest protocol level that will be supported by the client.

Possible values are :

·   CORE: Earliest version. No concept of user names.

·   COREPLUS: Slight improvements on CORE for efficiency.

·   LANMAN1: First modern version of the protocol. Long filename support.

·   LANMAN2: Updates to Lanman1 protocol.

·   NT1: Current up to date version of the protocol. Used by Windows NT. Known as CIFS.

·   SMB2: Re-implementation of the SMB protocol. Used by Windows Vista and later versions of Windows. SMB2 has sub protocols available.

·   SMB2_02: The earliest SMB2 version.

·   SMB2_10: Windows 7 SMB2 version.

·   SMB2_22: Early Windows 8 SMB2 version.

·   SMB2_24: Windows 8 beta SMB2 version.

By default SMB2 selects the SMB2_10 variant.

·   SMB3: The same as SMB2. Used by Windows 8. SMB3 has sub protocols available.

·   SMB3_00: Windows 8 SMB3 version. (mostly the same as SMB2_24)

By default SMB3 selects the SMB3_00 variant.

Default: client max protocol = SMB3

Example: client max protocol = LANMAN1

client min protocol (G)

This setting controls the minimum protocol version that the client will attempt to use.

Default: client min protocol = CORE

Example: client min protocol = NT1

Is this what you were looking for?

thanks, I know this option, this defines the maximum enabled protocol, but it doesn`t say anything about the downwards compatibility... the client min protocol says default is "core". what does that mean? According to the man it`s the earliest version supported, but what is the earliest supported version?

My question is if the exact "smb1.1" protocol is enabled by default, if not, is it possible to enable it and how? It`s like the old usb question: is a usb1 device compatible with an usb3 port? For usb it is. Is it the same with samba?

Last edited by archtom (2013-07-19 18:03:45)

#4 2013-07-30 07:44:56

archtom

As we bought the printer and after testing I can answer the question myself now for everyone who is searching in the future. Yes, smb1.1 protocol is supported and enabled by default in the current samba4 release wink

Last edited by archtom (2013-07-30 07:45:49)

Board footer