You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-30 12:27:25

thomastak

Convert bin file into c++

Hi, I have the problem described in subject. I am using psiconv but don't work as desired. I want to convert binary file into C or C++ file to be able to edit it and after editing put back into binary file for the router to work on the firmware binary file edited.

#2 2013-07-30 13:29:32

drcouzelis
Website

Re: Convert bin file into c++

You need to provide a LOT more information about what you're trying to do.

Why are you trying to use psiconv (it seems unrelated to your question)? What is in the "binary file"? Is it data or an application? In what way do you want to edit it? What is the file's purpose on the router?

What information have you learned so far by searching the Internet?

#3 2013-07-30 14:31:29

Nisstyre56

Sounds like he wants to reverse engineer his router firmware. I believe this would be against the forum rules though I'm not sure...

In Zen they say: If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, try it for eight, sixteen, thirty-two, and so on. Eventually one discovers that it's not boring at all but very interesting.
~ John Cage

#4 2013-07-30 14:33:49

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Nisstyre56 wrote:

Sounds like he wants to reverse engineer his router firmware. I believe this would be against the forum rules though I'm not sure...

Such activity is only frowned upon if it is legally questionable. And, it would only be a legal issue if the router's firmware is closed source. Having said that, if it were open-source, then there's really never a need to reverse-engineer it.

Either way, the OP is asking about decompiling, which is a huge pain last time I checked.

All the best,

-HG

#5 2013-07-30 14:55:11

ewaller
Administrator

thomastak,
I am pretty sure that HalosGhost hit the mail on the head.  As to being against forum rules, I don;t really see a problem, provided this is for personal use and is not going to be redistributed.  But, disassembling code is a PITA, and you are not really able to get it into C -- especially not the original source.  It is just not how things work.

The real question is, what is it that you are trying to do?   A better solution might be to go with open source router firmware to replace that which can with the router.  (OpenWRT, DD-WRT, etc...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_w … e_projects

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2013-07-30 17:12:06

arokh

If you have to ask, then there is no way you are going to be able to convert some random binary to C/C++...

Board footer