You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-03 00:35:55

daeden

Issue With Installing GFortran

Hello,

I am attempting to resurrect an old rig. My goal is experiment with system administration. My requirements are that the machine have a Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines (BLAS) implementation installed. Further, this implementation should be written in Fortran. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get GNU's Fortran compiler installed.

Here is the output of 'uname -a'

Linux lampadas 3.9.9-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 3 22:52:05 CEST 2013 i686 GNU/Linux

To start, I attempted to install the GNU Compiler Collection by:

$ sudo pacman -S gcc

However, the resulting installation does not include GFortran! I believe this means that the packaged binaries that are available do not include the GFortran front end. I then attempted to install it more directly:

$ sudo pacman -S gcc-fortran

This results in something stranger:

resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (1): gcc-fortran-4.8.1-1

Total Download Size:    4.80 MiB
Total Installed Size:   15.49 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

Upon confirming the installation 'pacman' starts to output:

error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-fortran-4.8.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from arch.linux.net.mk : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-fortran-4.8.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.jmu.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-fortran-4.8.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.internode.on.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-fortran-4.8.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.mfa.kfki.hu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-fortran-4.8.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinux.fi : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-fortran-4.8.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.aubrac-medical.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-fortran-4.8.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.portlane.com : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-fortran-4.8.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found

gcc-fortran-4.8.1-1-i686                                                      4.6 MiB   340K/s 00:14 [################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                               [################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                            [################################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (wrong or NULL argument passed)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Can someone shed some light on what is going on here?

#2 2013-08-03 00:46:44

karol
Archivist

Re: Issue With Installing GFortran

As you can see, https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?name=gcc-fortran gcc-fortran is available in version 4.8.1-2, not 4.8.1-1. It's been just updated about a day ago, if I'm reading it right, so all the servers should have it by now.
Also, your kernel should be at least 3.10.3-1 https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sor … name=linux

Always update your system before installing new software.

When pasting configs, code or command output, please use [ code ] tags, not [ quote ] tags https://bbs.archlinux.org/help.php#bbcode

like this

It makes the code more readable and - in case of longer listings - more convenient to scroll through.

#3 2013-08-03 01:47:34

daeden

Thanks for the response.

I updated my system as you suggested and I was able to successfully install GFortran.

I noticed that 4.8.1-2 was the "available" version, but Pacman was only presenting with 4.8.1-2. Is that because I have not updated my system?

#4 2013-08-03 01:50:07

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

daeden wrote:

I noticed that 4.8.1-2 was the "available" version, but Pacman was only presenting with 4.8.1-2. Is that because I have not updated my system?

If you mean pacman was only presenting with 4.8.1-1, yes, that was because your system was not updated. As karol says, you should always update your system before installing anything.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#5 2013-08-03 01:57:55

karol
Archivist

Pacman knows only what's in the sync databases. If you run just 'pacman -S foo bar' to install these two packages, the databases are not updated. 'pacman -Syu foo bar' is the right way.
Read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … g_packages and 'man pacman'.

Please remember to mark the thread as solved https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

Board footer