You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-28 02:29:29

Network, Schmetwork

Well, we're pretty close to the end of things getting Arch up and running as a webserver here. A problem or two on the way, each resolved once the unsususpected solution was found. There remains one fly in the ointment - if it is, in fact, a fly, you tell me -  so I'll lay out the situation for your hoped-for analysis.

I run a four computer network, three workstations and a soon-to-be-finished webserver as I've explained. I run Ameritech's premium ADSL service, am supplied with their standard issue modem and have connected it to a Linksys 4 Port Router/Switch. Knowing that I wanted to run the webserver behind the router but assign it a static IP while still employing the router as dhcp server for the other three machines, I researched the Linksys support documentation for any configuration impedimenta. I found none; as a matter of fact, I found a number of Knowledge Base articles outlining the precise method for handling the set-up of such an arrangement. I actually wrote them inquiring as to the sanity of my specific approach and got back their blessing for it in a reply. Here's what I've done:

1. Configured networking in /etc/rc.conf for the three workstations as set out below:

#
# Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES
#   (prefix an interface in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it)
#
# Note: to use DHCP, set your interface to be "dhcp" (eth0="dhcp")
#
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

#
# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   (prefix a route in ROUTES with a ! to disable it)
#
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

2. Configured networking in /etc/rc.conf for the webserver as set out below:

#
# Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES
#   (prefix an interface in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it)
#
# Note: to use DHCP, set your interface to be "dhcp" (eth0="dhcp")
#
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="eth0 192.168.1.44 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

#
# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   (prefix a route in ROUTES with a ! to disable it)
#
gateway="default gw 192.168.1.1"
ROUTES=(gateway)

3. For a mixed arrangement like this one to work with a Linksys router (or with any other one I'd have to think) the Linksys documentation requires there to be no overlap of the ranges for dynamic assignment with the chosen static IP. I've configured the router's dhcp service to assign the workstation's IPs starting at 192.168.1.100 and have placed a 50 machine limit on it. As you can see the static address of the webserver is 192.168.1.44, well below the dhcp range. Further, I've configured the webserver properly for port forwarding.

Here's the dilema: I can't reach the web from the webserver but reach it with no trouble from the workstations. All machines are pingable, one to any other, across the network. In order for static networking to work at all for the webserver, the router's full IP has to be configured; not so for the workstations, they seem to detected with the default /etc/rc.conf arrangement. Attempting to get an explanation from Linksys tech support over the phone on this question is like trying to order lunch in Ulan Bator. What's preventing me from getting out? I don't get it.

jlowell

#2 2004-01-28 05:02:16

RdsArts

Re: Network, Schmetwork

Wild guess, but try copying your /etc/resolv.conf from one of the DHCP workstations to the webserver. Otherwise your sans-nameserver.

Which, as you've seen, is bad. wink

Alternately, you can just pull a DHCP lease once on the server, and it'll then set that up for you. Then just take down the interface and set it back up with your IP stuff. (Or reboot. Either way. tongue smile )

#3 2004-01-28 06:09:00

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If it's not the resolv.conf, check this out:

Broadcast should probably be on the same subnet as the rest of your network.  Change the 192.168.0.255 to 192.168.1.255 then reboot.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-01-28 06:48:08

jlowell

Rdsarts & Xentac,

Wild guess, but try copying your /etc/resolv.conf from one of the DHCP workstations to the webserver. Otherwise your sans-nameserver.

Which, as you've seen, is bad.

Well, as it turns out, Rdsarts, not so wild a guess! Only the pre-edit, commented out material appeared in the webserver's /etc/resolv.conf. Nothing to identify the nameservers. Ameritech gives you two entries which I added, rebooted, ran

pacman -Syu

and it connected! Many thanks to you.

I have a question for the two of you. Why is it that the installation automatically configures /etc/resolv.conf in instances where there's a dhcp server and not when a static IP address is being set-up? Is this something intentional? Since I've never run a webserver on this network before, until now, I've had neither the inclination nor the need to move beyond dhcp for the workstations, and that was a decision I made here at the beginning primarily for security reasons.  Ameritech is happy to sell you an ADSL package with 5 static IPs for a  "small" premium, of course.   smile

Again, thanks for solving the mystery for me. I've got a client designing the site for me, just a simple one to show the flag, tastefully I hope, and to permit e-mail contact with me in the usual way. As you probably guessed, Ford Motor Company I'm not.

Regards.

jlowell

#5 2004-01-28 09:34:48

andy

Not the installation is setting up resolv.conf. It's the dhcp-client. Part of the DHCP protocol is to pass DNS servers, and that's what's happening on your DHCP machines.

For the static machine - how is it going to find a DNS server "out of thin air" :-) ...

#6 2004-01-28 17:02:01

jlowell

Hey there, andy,

The dhcp protocol explains everything. Thanks for your continung help with the questions I've had about my new webserver.

jlowell

#7 2004-01-28 18:07:30

RdsArts

Xentac wrote:

If it's not the resolv.conf, check this out:

Broadcast should probably be on the same subnet as the rest of your network.  Change the 192.168.0.255 to 192.168.1.255 then reboot.

Broadcast address wouldn't matter on a webserver, and surely would not have anything to do with a static IP not being able to reach outside the local subnet. Outside DHCP, I can't really thing of anything that'd use broadcast, and even then it doesn't get to set it itself.

Board footer