You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-20 11:37:21

kaprikawn

netctl not starting on bootup

Hi, since migrating from netcfg to netctl, my network doesn't start at bootup.  To start it I have to

sudo netctl start ethernet-static

I have it enabled but for some reason it is failing on startup, leaving me having to manually start it.  Given that I use this machine as a headless server and it isn't normally hooked up to any kind of monitor makes this a big problem everytime I have to restart the machine.

I'm not sure, but I suspect something in systemd is blocking it at startup, maybe something left over from netcfg.

Can you give me some guidance as to how I would go about debugging this problem please?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2013-08-20 12:22:22

clfarron4
Website

Re: netctl not starting on bootup

Hi, start only starts the profile in the local session, where enable puts it into the startup list, like how systemd services work.

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#3 2013-08-20 14:46:02

kaprikawn

Re: netctl not starting on bootup

clfarron4 wrote:

Hi, start only starts the profile in the local session, where enable puts it into the startup list, like how systemd services work.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, when I said :

I have it enabled

what I meant that I have run

sudo netctl enable ethernet-static

Doing a sudo systemctl shows that the ethernet-static profile has attempted to run on startup, but failed.

It's a bit difficult to post the output of that investigation because there's no gui on the machine, and the only monitor I have nearby is a HDTV that has an overscan problem when I hook up this computer, so doing anything on it causes me issues.  And to SSH into it requires me to start the network which will invalidate the output.  But if posting the output of that is necessary for finding out the issue I can figure out how to do it.

But if I could sort this out by another way it would be preferable.

Thanks

Board footer