You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-20 11:59:08

blove30

Postfix Admin setup issues

I'm following this guide to setup my own mail system, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Si … ail_System. But, I'm running into trouble for the Postfixadmin. I followed the instructions in the section but when I go to http://localhost/postfixadmin-2.3.6/setup.php to set everything up. I just get the setup.php in plain text in my browser window. Apache, mysqld, postfix, and dovecot seem to be correct. Shouldn't the setup.php show me a setup screen and not just the plain text file. Oh, and I'm a complete newbie when it comes to mysqld, apache, postfix, etc.

Last edited by blove30 (2013-08-20 12:12:43)

#2 2013-08-20 21:07:02

blove30

Re: Postfix Admin setup issues

I can get to the http://localhost/postfixadmin-2.3.6/admin. Screen

After trying to login I get: DEBUG INFORMATION:
MySQL Select Database: Access denied for user 'postfix_user'@'localhost' to database 'postfix_db'

Please check the documentation and website for more information.

Postfix Admin
Forums

So something is not setup correct with mysql? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by blove30 (2013-08-21 01:19:06)

#3 2013-08-22 04:22:05

kermana

Re: Postfix Admin setup issues

I just get the setup.php in plain text in my browser window.

Sounds to me like your php isn't configured properly. You can check if this is really the case with a very simple script as discribed in the following link

Test PHP Installation With a Phpinfo page under UNIX / Linux Apache Web Server

if you still get the "code" and not a page like in the picture then try to configure php from start. The procedure is smilar for all distros really so try to google guides for centos/debian (as there are many more) and read them, you would get a good idea.

MySQL Select Database: Access denied for user 'postfix_user'@'localhost' to database 'postfix_db'

It basicly says that the username/password combination you provided is wrong. Make sure that the user "postfix_user" really exist on mysql and has permissions on database "postfix_db".
As the wiki says, the following sql query should create the user and database (REMEMBER to change "hunter2" to whatever password you like and update configs as necessary):

CREATE SCHEMA `postfix_db` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci ;
CREATE USER 'postfix_user'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'hunter2';
GRANT ALL ON `postfix_db`.* TO `postfix_user`@`localhost`;

Once you make sure user exists and has proper permissions on database (as the above query does) run setup.php. It will create the necessary table structure. Follow the steps setup.php tells you to do and you should be fine.

I just googled "postfixadmin setup" (as it has been awhile since I last did it myself) and there are quite a few articles on how to setup postfixadmin in more detail. This again is not arch specific so you can use other distros wikis/HowTo's. Remember Google is your friend and good luck!!

Side note: I always install phpmyadmin for mysql administration as IMHO it greatly eases the pain of mysql administration. Highly recommended.

Side note 2: After your setup is complete always use a tool like mxtoolbox to make sure your server is not an open relay. Otherwise you will be blacklisted in no time and no one will be able to receive your emails.

Last side note: If you can, set proper reverse DNS as it will give your email a better chance to go through spam filters.  Also consider having a backup server maybe in a VPS somewhere so you don't lose emails when your primary server goes offline. (it almost always happens more often than admins like smile )

Last edited by kermana (2013-08-22 05:23:28)

Board footer