You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-18 17:26:05

LucetLux

[SOLVED] Mount iso image (nautilus)

I'm looking for a way to mount an .iso image on double click in a similar way to how it works on Ubuntu and Fedora, I don't have any problems with just using mount from a terminal, but having the images mounted on double click is kind of convenient.
I found an old topic on this forum that kind of helped me:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=606881

Teoulas wrote:

You can also add the option 'Open with archive mounter' to iso, tar, tar.gz and other archive files if you use gnome (gvfs, actually). You need to do the following:

Create a new text file in /usr/share/applications/mount-archive.desktop and paste the following into it:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Archive Mounter
Icon=gtk-cdrom
Exec=/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-archive file=%u
MimeType=application/x-cd-image;application/x-bzip-compressed-tar;application/x-compressed-tar;application/x-tar;application/x-cpio;application/zip;
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
Type=Application
NoDisplay=true

You now have a program named "Archive Mounter", which handles cd images and archives. You then have to associate this program with iso, tar and other files you want it to mount. To do this, just right-click on any iso, tar, or other file and select properties. Then click the "open with" tab, then "add" then search for the "Archive Mounter" you have just created.

That's it! You can also make it the default application so you can just double-click and mount the file.

GVFS has this functionality built-in through gvfsd-archive but it's not exposed anywhere by default. The above file was taken from an Ubuntu installation, where the "Archive Mounter" is "installed" by default.

The problem with this is that the images are mounted in the "network" section on nautilus, and for some reason when I try to copy any file from an image mounted there I get:

"Error while copying "file"
There was an error copying the file into "directory"
Operation not supported by backend"

Last edited by LucetLux (2013-08-29 19:27:50)

#2 2013-08-29 15:03:27

LucetLux

Re: [SOLVED] Mount iso image (nautilus)

Any ideas ?

#3 2013-08-29 15:15:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You want to double click on these in nautilus, or somewhere else?  Remember, we are not infront of your computer.  I have no icons on which I could double click, so getting a double click on an icon to do something is very dependent on what program is displaying the icon.  Rox-filer as an example makes it very easy to script such actions.

But assuming this is all within nautilus, does that desktop entry command run, but produces the wrong result?  You say you can produce the proper result with a command in a terminal - if so, just replace the exec line in the desktop file with the command that works.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2013-08-29 16:07:43

LucetLux

I thought (nautilus) on the title would have been a clue tongue I'm using gnome3 as my desktop environment.

I don't think there's much wrong with that desktop file, I think it just mounts the images in read only mode or something like that, I'll try to find an argument that can change that.

#5 2013-08-29 16:17:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Huh, was that originally in the title - sorry I missed it.  But the second half of my post still applies.  Clearly that desktop file command is not working - it's not doing what you want it to.

If you have a command that works in the terminal, but that command in the exec line of the desktop file.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-08-29 19:27:34

LucetLux

I just realized, there a thing called "gnome-disk-image-mounter" but for whatever reason it was hidden and I was unable to set it as default for images.

I think this is pretty much solved, thanks for your help.

Board footer