You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-06 01:21:05

christov84

NFS causing boot hang

Hey All,

Since installing NFS and DHCPD to start at boot there seems to be a delay after it says the disks are clean and the login screen.

Just wondering if we can some how put these loading in the background and the rest of the boot scripts keep going?

#2 2013-09-06 02:25:51

rufus
Banned

Re: NFS causing boot hang

it sounds like its in your fstab ...Im guessing
  there are other routes like an NFS auto mounter
post your fstab if you want......good luck!

end ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     'the machine is not the end to the means., we are. In history, in board rooms and politic the greatest  decision and effort
        evolves from passion, lust for life, and a common sense of humanity. Never forget what you are and why'.         -me

#3 2013-09-06 02:35:23

WonderWoofy

If the NFS share is not necessary for normal system start (ie. the share is not $HOME), then you can use the systemd automount functionality to make it not mount until first access.  To do this, add x-systemd.automount,noauto to the options for that fstab entry.  You might also want to put nofail just in case that NFS share happens to not be there.  If you don't have that, you will be dumped into emergency mode if it cannot be mounted.

Recently, I too (and others) have noticed a delay in the mounting of NFS shares.  Apparently it has something to do with the GSS security.  If you enable rpc-gssd.service on the client side, the delay will go away.  But I am not entirely sure if there are any negative implications of not having rpc-svgssd.service running on the server side.  It does throw a nice red splash of errors into my journal because it cannot authenticate via GSS… but the delay goes away.

#4 2013-09-06 16:06:58

christov84

Ah thanks guys. Will probably implement WonderWoofy's suggestion 2moro when its not 12am smile

But if there is a clever way I can do it with fstab that would be awse

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system> <dir>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# /dev/sda4
UUID=c7fe7178-3019-4af7-a569-a41bc32e5a89       /               ext3            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 1
/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,ro,exec  0  0
192.168.1.12:/media/contentRaid /mnt/contentRaid nfs4 rw,user 0 0

#5 2013-09-06 16:49:13

WonderWoofy

Like I said, change rw,user of the NFS entry to rw,user,x-systemd.automount,noauto.  This will cause systemd to not mount the share until it is first accessed.  So you will essentially be pushing the delay from the boot time to when the share is first accessed and mounted.

The delay with the most recent versions of NFS have been discussed in this thread.  Though the "solution" is not really a "solution" so much as a workaround.

Board footer