You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-18 04:50:10

brando56894

Problems With Linux Router

I have a RaspberryPi and I want to turn it into a router just for the hell of it. I've attempted this multiple times but always get stuck and say "screw it" since my roommates would bitch at me because they can't get on the internet. Now I live by myself and want to get it to work.

I've followed the Router page in the wiki but I only have internet access from the Pi itself. I had a few problems but I think I fixed them. My main problem now is that DHCP doesn't offer IP addresses. During bootup Arch tells me that it failed to start my private interface (eth0), while looking at the journal it says this because the interface is already up (don't know why) and it doesn't get an ip address. I would like to assign it a static address of 192.168.1.1 but I'm not sure how to do so.

If I set a static address for eth0 (my internal interface) and try to get an IP address from another computer it doesn't offer me one. If I set a static address on the other PC, I can ping the Pi from the PC and vice versa so I know that's good, but if I try to ping an external IP from the PC (such as Google's DNS server 8.8.8.8 which responds to pings) it gives me "destination host unreachable", yet I can ping it just fine from the Pi.

I'm using a Cisco E3200 router with Tomate by Shibby as a switch and WAP with the routing/DHCP/DNS features turned off. I don't believe that the E3200 is the problem.

Any suggestions on why this isn't working?

Last edited by brando56894 (2013-09-18 05:08:23)

#2 2013-09-18 04:58:28

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Problems With Linux Router

Moving to Other Architectures...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2013-09-18 11:46:07

Lone_Wolf

Off-topic :  Don't think OP's problem is due to the different architecture, but deciding such things is part of the moderators job.

brando56894, while there are several tools that help with setting up networking, for  a router/server i'd use the ip2 commands directly to set things up.

archwiki on static addresses .

Especially check the section about manually setting  a static ip-address on boot.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2013-09-18 17:55:44

brando56894

Thanks for the info, but I need to get DHCP working since I'm going to have a few other devices on the network that won't have static address (phones, tablets, friend's devices, etc...).

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Off-topic :  Don't think OP's problem is due to the different architecture, but deciding such things is part of the moderators job.

I was going to say that too, but I didn't want to poke the bear. My problems aren't really architecture dependent, they're just general networking problems.

Last edited by brando56894 (2013-09-18 17:57:36)

#5 2013-09-18 18:06:33

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

brando56894 wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

I was going to say that too, but I didn't want to poke the bear. My problems aren't really architecture dependent, they're just general networking problems.

I don't mind being poked. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153431

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2013-09-18 19:46:27

Lone_Wolf

thanks for clarifying, jasonwryan.

brando56894 :
the private interface that connects the Pi to the internal network needs to have a static ip-address.
It looks like you're using the netctl example on the router page to do this, but then you get the interface already up message.
You can try to troubleshoot that message, or disable netctl service from starting and switch to the method described on the link i posted.

Once you have sucessfully set a static ip-address for your private interface, continue with the dnsmasq part on the router page.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer