You are not logged in.

#101 2013-09-07 19:50:18

TBoshoven
Member
Registered: 2013-07-25
Posts: 44

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

I basically run updates before I start X.
So when I boot my computer (I don't use a graphical login manager), I log in, run "yaourt -Syua" (updates + AUR updates) and then "startx".
This is not a solution or anything, but it's curious that this helped me start X successfully three times already.
Again, this is probably caused by waiting a while before starting X, and not the updates themselves.

Oh, and I run Linux 3.11. It has worked for a day or two after I updated to 3.11 and then it stopped working.

Offline

#102 2013-09-07 21:16:36

gacobr
Member
Registered: 2013-09-07
Posts: 2

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

munzirtaha wrote:

Solved! Today I updated to
linux 3.11-1
nvidia 325.15-6
from testing and it works for my GTX660M card on asus G55V

Hi, I have the same issue and same Nvidia Card as you.
I am relatively new in linux and I new in archlinux. How can I upgrade my kernel to 3.11-1? Mine is 3.10.10-1 and my nvidia diver is 325.15-5.
Thanks

Offline

#103 2013-09-07 21:29:45

TBoshoven
Member
Registered: 2013-07-25
Posts: 44

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/test … _64/linux/
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/test … x-headers/
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/test … 64/nvidia/

You can download them from the website ("Download from mirror").
Then you can use pacman -U to install those files.
Or you can enable the testing repo (in /etc/pacman.conf ), do pacman -Syy and then install (pacman -S) the required packages (do not upgrade others), and then disable the testing repo again.

Note however, that it looks like the issue is not completely fixed.

Offline

#104 2013-09-07 23:56:32

gacobr
Member
Registered: 2013-09-07
Posts: 2

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

Thanks. I was able to install linux 3.11 but now i get:
[ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) No devices detected.

Offline

#105 2013-09-08 01:09:42

TBoshoven
Member
Registered: 2013-07-25
Posts: 44

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

Secondary GPU?
I don't think I have ever seen that work on Linux 3.11 (multiple GPUs).
It's probably best to switch back to Linux 3.9 for the time being.
Check page 2 of this topic for instructions on how to do that.

Offline

#106 2013-09-08 04:48:52

munzirtaha
Member
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 14

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

@TBoshoven: I tried disabling kdm and using startx as you pointed out but that didn't help.
For the record, I also tried nouveau and it failed with
Sep 07 21:09:26 arch kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Invalid ROM contents
Sep 07 21:09:26 arch kernel: nouveau  [   VBIOS][0000:01:00.0] ... signature not found
Sep 07 21:09:26 arch kernel: nouveau  [   VBIOS][0000:01:00.0] checking PLATFORM for image...
Sep 07 21:09:26 arch kernel: nouveau  [   VBIOS][0000:01:00.0] ... signature not found
Sep 07 21:09:26 arch kernel: nouveau E[   VBIOS][0000:01:00.0] unable to locate usable image

So, enough of this headache and time to downgrade.

Offline

#107 2013-09-11 02:18:05

lucasheringer
Member
From: Campinas - Brazil
Registered: 2010-12-02
Posts: 10

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

Tried CK Kernel 3.11 plus nvidia beta CK without successs sad

Offline

#108 2013-09-11 11:32:19

TBoshoven
Member
Registered: 2013-07-25
Posts: 44

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

At the moment, stable and beta versions are the same (325.15).
Also, it seems like waiting a while before startx (waiting until all startup targets have been reached by systemd) was actually the reason it works for me.

Offline

#109 2013-09-11 12:13:07

Thaodan
Member
From: Dortmund, Nordrein-Westfalen
Registered: 2012-04-28
Posts: 433

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

My system with Thinkpad Edge E530 with linux-pf-3.11 works without issues.
Do you use bumblebee to disable the egpu when not in use?


Linux odin 3.13.1-pf #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 5 21:47:28 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Offline

#110 2013-09-11 19:25:04

Daerandin
Member
From: Norway
Registered: 2013-05-07
Posts: 142

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

TBoshoven, like me, do not have a laptop with optimus. If you read the symptoms in the first post, you will see it is different from the issue that bumblebee users experience.

Offline

#111 2013-09-12 02:00:58

black3r
Member
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 5

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

ok, these comments got me digging, and I confirm that on linux 3.11 with nvidia 325.15-6 on Y500 everything works IF i run X server after all other systemd units. As a temporary solution, I added "Type=idle" to my /usr/lib/systemd/system/kdm.service under "[Service]", so that it starts when all other systemd jobs are done and system starts up as expected. However, this is not an ideal solution, we should be able to identify conflicting systemd units/services and add them to display manager / Xorg systemd dependencies..

If i will have enough time, i will try if this "solution" works on 3.10 as well (has somebody tried it?), and if I'll have lots of time, I will try to discover which systemd service this conflicts with.

Last edited by black3r (2013-09-12 02:21:16)

Offline

#112 2013-09-12 12:01:58

TBoshoven
Member
Registered: 2013-07-25
Posts: 44

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

I don't think that's the solution either.
I just tried to run it on linux-ck 11.0.1 (with more or less default build, but native architecture) and it did not work, even after all systemd units were done starting.
This working under certain conditions seems more like a coincidence to me now...
And I have tested all kinds of things on Linux 3.10 to make this work. No doubt I have tried waiting for a long time before starting X.
I'd really like to run a stable Linux 3.10+ because bcache is kind of a pain before 3.10.

Offline

#113 2013-09-15 15:22:32

colinazzam
Member
From: Denver
Registered: 2012-12-27
Posts: 24
Website

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

With 325.15-7 and Linux 3.11-1 I have the same issues.

Offline

#114 2013-09-18 19:14:57

Daerandin
Member
From: Norway
Registered: 2013-05-07
Posts: 142

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

I want to point out that my issue, which is the same as was mentioned in the original post, seem to be fixed. I have used the new kernel since it came to the core repo and have had several reboots without any problems. I have made several reboots and X never failed to load.

Offline

#115 2013-09-18 23:15:10

TBoshoven
Member
Registered: 2013-07-25
Posts: 44

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

I think today's (yesterday's?) systemd update forces some more stuff to be loaded before login, so it seems to work consistently for me at the moment.
I should probably check whether this fixes anything for my 3.11 CK kernel.

I'm still not convinced this is fixed. Also, no new responses from Nvidia...

Offline

#116 2013-09-19 01:16:49

vishwin
Member
From: /dev/us/by-state/pa
Registered: 2013-07-12
Posts: 9

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

I'm now running 3.11.1-ck and the driver no longer falls off the bus. I'm sure it'll also work on vanilla 3.11.1. Note however that I'm using the DKMS flavour of NVRM, results may vary with the traditional version. Computer is also running cooler with power management enabled.

(Note: by power management I mean bbswitch. But this thread is about getting the driver to work at all)

Last edited by vishwin (2013-09-19 04:12:56)


ThinkPad W550s: Intel Core i7-5500U | 8 GB DDR3L RAM | Nvidia Quadro K620M 2 GB DDR3 VRAM | 128 GB SSD | 1 TB WD Blue HDD
Retired: Lenovo IdeaPad Y580

Offline

#117 2013-09-19 11:43:56

TBoshoven
Member
Registered: 2013-07-25
Posts: 44

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

I just tested with 3.11.1-2-ck and it works on my Lenovo Y500.
Nothing falling off the bus.

Offline

#118 2013-09-19 19:28:20

TheBB
Member
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 4

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

TBoshoven wrote:

I just tested with 3.11.1-2-ck and it works on my Lenovo Y500.
Nothing falling off the bus.

I assume that's with the new systemd? Someone posted on the Nvidia forum that it worked after 207, presumably he/she meant with 3.11. I will have to try that later if so (W530).

Offline

#119 2013-09-19 20:39:11

colinazzam
Member
From: Denver
Registered: 2012-12-27
Posts: 24
Website

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

I must be doing something wrong here...

I have installed the 3.11-1 core kernel and the 3.11.1-2 ck kernel and nothing has changed. With the regular kernel, X fails once, then runs. With the ck kernel, it fails immediately and will not run after trying again. I am using the testing version of systmd.

Offline

#120 2013-09-20 10:45:26

TBoshoven
Member
Registered: 2013-07-25
Posts: 44

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

TheBB wrote:
TBoshoven wrote:

I just tested with 3.11.1-2-ck and it works on my Lenovo Y500.
Nothing falling off the bus.

I assume that's with the new systemd? Someone posted on the Nvidia forum that it worked after 207, presumably he/she meant with 3.11. I will have to try that later if so (W530).

That was me.
I can currently not reproduce the issue. Since the recent systemd update (207 as you say), the issue is gone in both my core and CK kernel.
Until I get a confirmation from other people, I will not mark this as fixed because I'm not convinced this is very stable.

colinazzam:
I'm typing this from Linux 3.11.1-2-ck x86-64 (native Core i7 build with default settings), in combination with systemd 207-3.
I'm using nvidia-ck 325.15-6 with nvidia-libgl 325.15-1 and nvidia-utils 325.15-1.

Offline

#121 2013-09-20 12:30:50

colinazzam
Member
From: Denver
Registered: 2012-12-27
Posts: 24
Website

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

TBoshoven wrote:
TheBB wrote:
TBoshoven wrote:

I just tested with 3.11.1-2-ck and it works on my Lenovo Y500.
Nothing falling off the bus.

I assume that's with the new systemd? Someone posted on the Nvidia forum that it worked after 207, presumably he/she meant with 3.11. I will have to try that later if so (W530).

That was me.
I can currently not reproduce the issue. Since the recent systemd update (207 as you say), the issue is gone in both my core and CK kernel.
Until I get a confirmation from other people, I will not mark this as fixed because I'm not convinced this is very stable.

colinazzam:
I'm typing this from Linux 3.11.1-2-ck x86-64 (native Core i7 build with default settings), in combination with systemd 207-3.
I'm using nvidia-ck 325.15-6 with nvidia-libgl 325.15-1 and nvidia-utils 325.15-1.

Installing nvidia-ck fixed the issue for me as well. Thanks!!!

Offline

#122 2013-09-20 12:52:33

Daerandin
Member
From: Norway
Registered: 2013-05-07
Posts: 142

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

I checked my pacman log, and the systemd update didn't come until the day after I installed 3.11.1-1 kernel. I made several reboots  with systemd 204-3 and had no issues. So I am not convinced that it is working because of systemd. I felt confident enough that my issue is fixed to mark my thread as solved, however, I do understand still being skeptical. I would feel a lot better if nvidia finally made a statement about having fixed the issue in their drivers.

Offline

#123 2013-09-21 23:51:09

hoangngan82
Member
Registered: 2013-09-21
Posts: 5

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

I updated the system on Aug 18 using 'pacman -Syu' and everything was find. But I forgot what I installed yesterday, and today, the error showed up -- "Cannot initialize NVIDIA GPU". And I have to go back to linux-3.9 and nvidia-319 for it to work.


vimtutorial - VIMperator - vimprobable2 smile

Offline

#124 2013-09-22 11:12:59

TBoshoven
Member
Registered: 2013-07-25
Posts: 44

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

You can check what you installed by reading the pacman logs: /var/log/pacman.log .

Offline

#125 2013-09-22 17:06:20

hoangngan82
Member
Registered: 2013-09-21
Posts: 5

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

Thanks. I didn't see any thing in that time range. Probably, because I use yaourt ??


vimtutorial - VIMperator - vimprobable2 smile

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB