You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-07 21:27:39

UnrealX
Website

Touchpad and USB Mouse / USB HDD / KDE

I am experiencing two problems, dunno if they really have something to do with each other, however I`ve decided to save some space and make one thread instead of two.

Touchpad and USB Mouse:
I know, it`s a typical problem, but I couldn`t find anything I could use at google.
Now onto the details: When I boot my laptop with usb mouse plugged in, I just can`t get into X, I get errors about synaptics touchpad not found. However when I boot arch without mouse plugged in, login and only then plug it in, everything`s fine. Google said something about that system automatically converts usb mouse to ps/2 and this causes problems. Anyways, I have no idea how to fix this. Tried comparing lsmod of both after booting with mouse and booting without it. Outputs were identical.

USB HDD:
This is wierd, I actually dunno what`s causing this problem, but I guess it`s HDD. When I boot my laptop with External USB HDD plugged in and turned on, arch just can`t find any /dev/sda* not it recognises my mouse or anything (however mouse still gets power from usb, it`s diods are shining).
Then I tried booting with both my mouse and hdd off, plugged them back after login and viola, everything`s fine.

Of course I can live with these problems, but it`s annoying. I would really appreciate any help.

EDIT:
We all knew this was coming.
Third problem - KDE and keyboard:
Everything`s fine in console, but in KDE, when I try to type symbols like `´¨~ i have to press keyboard key twice, instead of once. How come?
Solution:
This was pretty easy actually. These keys were assigned as dead keys and supposed to help ppl. Ya right!
What I did was
Control Center > Regional & Accessibility > Keyboard Layout > remove us layout and add en_US.
That`s it.

Board footer