You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-09 12:22:54

lesto

Unified account

Hi,
Why we need to have an account for the forum, one for the AUR, one for the wiki etc...?

I think these system have to use the same system, and maybe, using something like openID.
I know this is a major desing change, but..

love,
lesto

#2 2013-11-09 13:26:25

cedeel
Website

Re: Unified account

OpenID might be a bit... open.

But yes, a SSO solution would be great!

#3 2013-11-09 13:26:56

ANOKNUSA

lesto wrote:

I know this is a major desing change, but..

There's one reason.  The other big reason is that all those sites are separate: They're somewhat distinct communities dedicated to Arch, hosted in different places using different software and maintained by different people. FluxBB has one way of doing things, freenode another, the MediaWiki another... The branding is the same, but they're powered by different software and services, and the maintainers have their own ideas on how to utilize it.

Besides, in my opinion any service that aims to give easy access to the entirety of someone's online identity is encouraging ignorance and poor security habits, and doing an severe disservice.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited by ANOKNUSA (2013-11-09 13:28:00)

#4 2013-11-09 14:55:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

ANOKNUSA wrote:

any service that aims to give easy access to the entirety of someone's online identity is encouraging ignorance and poor security habits

Agreed.  Though I do use the same name and info on all these sites ... so.   But I'm not too concerned with security for these accounts.  Email is a bit more important; banking much more so.  But if someone wants to hack into my forum account and post ridiculous nonsense under my name, go for it - I doubt anyone would notice a change! wink

Last edited by Trilby (2013-11-09 14:55:13)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2013-11-09 15:26:23

karol
Archivist

#6 2013-11-09 16:44:19

ewaller
Administrator

Arch Linux is actually a bunch of separate projects flying in loose formation.  The forums, mail lists, ABS/TUs, bug tracker, developers, Wikis, swag, etc... are all run by different (but not exclusively)  people.  The servers are not (necessarily) collocated. The teams communicate informally, but the structure bears more similarity to a bacterial colony than to a higher life form.

Last edited by ewaller (2013-11-09 16:45:06)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2013-11-09 17:12:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

ewaller wrote:

... run by different (but not exclusively)  people.

Not exclusively people?  Some of them are not people?  What else then?

ewaller wrote:

... more similarity to a bacterial colony than to a higher life form.

Oh.

Did someone leave the tacos out overnight again?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2013-11-10 15:29:39

lesto

But with openid i have a secured central id (2 step verification, the normal password and a time-limited password like the RSA key).
If you are looking for oversecurity, then you can still create as many "central" account you want.

in my opinion any service that aims to give easy access to the entirety of someone's online identity is encouraging ignorance and poor security habits

In my opinion too many account is encouraging username/password reuse, and only one account is too dangerous.
I would have about 3 or 4 account (the main for friends and banking, one for work, one for social media, and the last for technical forum/social media/wiki etc..).
Also poorly coded account sistem is a great danger; just look at http://xkcd.com/1286/

Arch Linux is actually a bunch of separate projects flying in loose formation.  The forums, mail lists, ABS/TUs, bug tracker, developers, Wikis, swag, etc... are all run by different (but not exclusively)  people.  The servers are not (necessarily) collocated

this is exaclty why openId or similar is born.

Not exclusively people?  Some of them are not people?  What else then?

AI.

#9 2013-11-10 20:41:40

ANOKNUSA

Use a password manager, friend. The argument that too many accounts "encourages username/password reuse" seems disingenuous coming from someone promoting the use of a single username and password.

And you misunderstand mine and ewaller's point: For OpenID to work in the different Arch sites, the different groups maintaining them would need to petition Wikimedia, FluxBB and whoever hosts the AUR server to write new, unique code just to satisfy a minority (namely, you).

#10 2013-11-11 00:32:22

fsckd
Forum Fellow

previously, specifically see Pierre's posts

Oh, and Allan's posts. I guess it's all covered in that bug report the Archivist linked to...

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#11 2013-11-20 19:46:18

sonoran

Arch organization resembles the rhizome rather than the arborescent model. Nothing primitive about it, quite cutting-edge, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizome_%28philosophy%29

Board footer