You are not logged in.

#76 2013-11-13 14:00:25

Narf

Re: [SOLVED] AWN died

Official how? Is there an authority for that?

#77 2013-11-13 15:05:10

SanskritFritz
Website

Narf wrote:

Official how? Is there an authority for that?

https://launchpad.net/awn/

NEWS
====
Awn is maintained again!
The code has been moved to github. The following repositories hold code related to AWN:
- https://github.com/p12tic/awn
- https://github.com/p12tic/awn-extras
- https://github.com/p12tic/libdesktop-agnostic

With this, I finished spoonfeeding you. Please do your own research, at least open some webpages or google.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#78 2013-11-13 15:17:41

kozec

Narf wrote:

kozec: for me awn completely ignores what I do with gconf. Not immediately, not after a reboot even. I can have completely different values in gconf and awn's settings. I don't get this system and it's over-complication to me. Maybe I'm missing something or am really unlucky. In order to get the same settings on another computer I had to manually set everything in the GUI (except for the stuff that's saved in the theme). If I wanted such IPC in a program, I'd use dbus.
Desktop file parsing is in GIO, it's what agnostic uses.

Actually, gconf doesn't work for me at all, for anything. Dconf works.

libdesktop-agnostic has fallback mode, when settings are saved to file somewhere on disk. I'm guessing that fallback is used, when gconf is not available, but I don't know where is location of that file. If nothing else helps, run AWN or awn-settings with strace and look for open() calls.

#79 2013-11-13 16:23:08

Narf

SanskritFritz: I didn't know you were one of AWN's devs. Don't be hostile about it. I copied that patch to an issue on github. By the way, if you know this, could you explain how can I make AWN interact with gconf, or at least how to export and import settings? Also, do you have plans regarding further development?

kozec: I know there's an option for that, but I don't think it's being used. I observed with strace and couldn't find anything. It seems AWN on installation adds gconf schemas and default settings, but then somehow magically doesn't save the data to gconf and ignores what's changed with gconf. I do have gconf working and It works for the digital clock applet for example, so it has to be some AWN's problem. The /etc/xdg/libdesktop-agnostic/desktop-agnostic.ini file contains:

[DEFAULT]

config = gconf
vfs = gio
desktop-entry = gio

So agnostic is configured to use gconf.

I set the backend to keyfile in the above file, and it's saved to ~/.config/desktop-agnostic. So OK, gconf doesn't work, but I now know how to have exportable settings. Sorry for the noise.

Edit:
kozec: Would you happen to know, where could I find a documentation for this library? The doc included doesn't give anything useful. And with your patch this library is still broken if I use the keyfile backend, by the way. That's probably fixable similarly to how you did it with (from what I understood) making some types nullable.

Last edited by Narf (2013-11-13 22:50:19)

#80 2013-11-14 13:25:04

kozec

Narf: No, I don't known about any docs at all and I'm afraid that thing included in source tree is everything, that's available.
I'll try to setup keyfile backend in my machine and see what causes crash when I get home tonight, but in meantime, I would like to ask how's it broken... Does it crash, or just fails to save/load settings?

#81 2013-11-14 15:54:41

Narf

It segfaults on startup because of a null value dereference in some function in the keyfile so kind off the same way as with schema_metadata. I don't have the data at hand, I'll post it later. Since your pkgbuild compiles in this backend, you can reproduce this by just editing /etc/xdg/libdesktop-agnostic/desktop-agnostic.ini and replacing conf=gconf with conf=keyfile. It's not high-priority anyway, only something that would be handy for me for exporting/importing settings, since with the gconf backend AWN ignores settings in gconf somehow, at least for me (it does store them and load though). So I wouldn't want to waste your time on this, unless you want to. I'll give that vala file a go Saturday, maybe I just need to make something nullable (also I've read how to properly debug vala now, so I won't be hammering a nail with a screwdriver now).

So for you, if you for example do gconftool-2 -s "/apps/avant-window-navigator/panel/offset" -t int 5, the panel's offset changes instantly? Because for me, the value is successfully set and the panel ignores it. And the other way, if i set something with awn-settings, the value is not reflected in gconf.
But gconf works for applets such as digital-clock and for gksu. It doesn't work for awn only.

#82 2013-11-14 17:49:26

Roken

As an aside - I've deliberately not marked this as solved because of the ongoing discussion - do people here mind if I mark solved (since the original problem does seem to be)?

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#83 2013-11-14 18:16:30

WonderWoofy

Marking the thread as solved might be a good idea so that people looking for info will see that there is a solution here, and be lead to the new upstream sources.

#84 2013-11-14 18:40:37

kozec

Narf wrote:

So I wouldn't want to waste your time on this, unless you want to.

I should, as I probably caused it big_smile
I mean, when I first get my hands on libdesktop-agnostic, it wouldn't even compile due to all changes to Vala and GLib came since agnostic was coded. And, well, I don't actually speak Vala, so I just grabbed Vala docs and fixed whatever compiler complained about. One of them was FileGIO.load_contents, where glib's return type changed from string to uint8[] and where valadoc clearly states that returned uint8[] has to be manually freed with g_free... And that's double free you are experiencing right now.

But back to the case, can you, please try this source package? Only megalo.patch is modified around line 48. If that solves crash with keyfile, I'll try to make change request in that new git repo mentioned before.

Last edited by kozec (2013-11-14 18:41:34)

#85 2013-11-18 06:41:20

na12

Why none of menu applets doesn't work?

#86 2013-11-18 08:58:53

SanskritFritz
Website

na12 wrote:

Why none of menu applets doesn't work?

Try recompiling all relevant packages, try libdesktop-agnostic-git, try anyhing else. Most of all, if you expect help here, you need to research first, like logfiles, program output, etc and post them here with the errors if there is any.

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2013-11-18 08:59:04)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#87 2013-11-18 16:20:11

na12

Screenshots

screenshot-from-2013-11-.jpg

screenshot-from-2013-11-.jpg

here is terminal output

(awn-applet:6823): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (AwnOverlay)

** (awn-settings:6832): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_schema_get_metadata_option: assertion 'self != NULL' failed

** (awn-settings:6832): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_new_for_instance: assertion 'schema != NULL' failed

(awn-applet:6823): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE

** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (AwnOverlay)

** (yama.py:6839): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_schema_get_metadata_option: assertion 'self != NULL' failed

** (yama.py:6839): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_new_for_instance: assertion 'schema != NULL' failed

I reinstalled all related packages and installed libdesktop-agnostic-git,nothing changed.

Last edited by na12 (2013-11-18 16:22:12)

#88 2013-11-21 17:14:22

Narf

I'm terribly sorry for not responding so long, I had health issues.

kozec: That works. Thank you very much.

na12: Hey, I think I know what's the issue. You don't have the menu file. Go to /etc/xdg/menus/ and copy or link any of the menu files there (I took lxde-applications.menu which is provided by package lxmenu-data) to applications.menu. You can then edit the menu with alacarte.

#89 2013-11-22 12:56:00

na12

Narf wrote:

na12: Hey, I think I know what's the issue. You don't have the menu file. Go to /etc/xdg/menus/ and copy or link any of the menu files there (I took lxde-applications.menu which is provided by package lxmenu-data) to applications.menu. You can then edit the menu with alacarte.

Yes, that solved my problem,thanks.
But I have another problem. Digital clock is invisible. I can right click on it and menu shows up, but time is invisible. I tried to change font color in gconf-editor but didn't help.

Last edited by na12 (2013-11-22 13:39:34)

#90 2013-11-22 19:29:36

kozec

Narf wrote:

I'm terribly sorry for not responding so long, I had health issues.

kozec: That works. Thank you very much.

Ok, thanks for confirming. I hope you'll get well ASAP smile

#91 2013-11-23 02:09:33

Narf

na12: try changing the font color in theme settings, maybe it's set to transparent?

kozec: Thanks, I'm better now.

There are issues with activators now. If you try adding a new activator and click on the icon button to set an icon, the icon dialog is empty. This is what's printed from avant-window-navigator then:

** (awn-settings:2166): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_ui_icon_chooser_dialog_add_icon_viewer: assertion '*viewer != NULL' failed
/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-settings/awnClass.py:1188: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_icon_view_get_model: assertion 'GTK_IS_ICON_VIEW (icon_view)' failed
  response = editor.run()
/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-settings/awnClass.py:1188: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_list_store_clear: assertion 'GTK_IS_LIST_STORE (list_store)' failed
  response = editor.run()
/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-settings/awnClass.py:1188: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_list_store_append: assertion 'GTK_IS_LIST_STORE (list_store)' failed
  response = editor.run()
/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-settings/awnClass.py:1188: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_list_store_set_valist: assertion 'GTK_IS_LIST_STORE (list_store)' failed
  response = editor.run()
/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-settings/awnClass.py:1188: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_widget_get_parent: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
  response = editor.run()
/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-settings/awnClass.py:1188: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_widget_show: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
  response = editor.run()

And if you try to save the lanucher, you get a messagebox with "Error writing file: Bad address". Afterwards, a file is added in ~/.config/awn/launchers containing garbage.
Adding launchers works by dragging an icon form a menu like yama to the launchers list in awn-settings  though.
But there's another issue: if any launcher is added, sometimes opening certain programs causes the task manager applet to crash (sad face is shown). Reloading it by clicking makes it work again. This is completely random and programs that cause this are for example leafpad and awf-gtk2 (so both are gtk2).
I have no idea what's up, it's a real mess.

#92 2013-11-23 12:08:42

na12

Narf wrote:

na12: try changing the font color in theme settings, maybe it's set to transparent?

Yep,that did the trick.

#93 2013-11-25 19:50:52

Narf

That thing with task applet crashing doesn't happen (or at least, I haven't managed to trigger it yet) if you set animations to none. So this might be a bug that existed always, but I always had this set to none and only after redoing the settings forgot to change it back from default. I don't remember. I'll post a bug report later.
Also, launchers got picked up if you put them in ~/.config/awn/launchers.

#94 2013-11-26 18:35:34

kozec

Ok, it's my turn to say sorry for late answer smile

Narf: I just pull-requested three line fix for that IconChooser bug. I'm unable to reproduce your problem with saving launchers, but it's possible that it was related to icon chooser thing.

Also, I have animations turned on and task applet works well... Can you get any output from that crash?

Last edited by kozec (2013-11-26 18:38:10)

#95 2013-11-29 17:24:11

hydrosIII

Hi, i just found a little bug in AWN weather plugin, where do i report it???
launchpad???
github???
See: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=173463

Thanks

Board footer