You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-25 00:14:37

Gulver

Integrated vs Discrete by Temperature

Hi there,

I'm on a laptop with switchable graphics that are hd4000 and 7670m. I generally use interated card with the ATI turned off for power economy and temperature. Catalyst with downgraded X or prop ATI drivers are both raising my idle temperature at least by 10 degrees.

On the other hand, my temperature goes crazy while on load, CPU is about 102 and god knows the GPU. I want to know if anyone can inform me of their experience whether does Discrete Card usage makes any positive improvements over temperature in load, gaming etc; since it's too much of a hassle to try by myself.

Any guesses are welcome smile

#2 2013-11-25 00:39:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Integrated vs Discrete by Temperature

Gulver wrote:

since it's too much of a hassle to try by myself.

If you think its a hassle for you, then it is definitely a hassle for everyone to try for YOU. I am not sure what exactly you plan to achieve by that.

Since we are only guessing..... No !

ummm I mean Yes !

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2013-11-25 00:50:15

Gulver

Well, I just thought someone might have just tried it already and point me out. Sorry if I sound like a jerk but Catalyst, steam with lib32 need, downgrading X and all looked a bit harsh to go on before asking if someone already have experience.

Would you think idle temperatures be less if it also is lower in load or vice versa? Yes? No? I'm trying to achieve a lower median temperature with high load. smile

Last edited by Gulver (2013-11-25 00:53:39)

#4 2013-11-25 01:36:12

brebs

Gulver wrote:

CPU is about 102

Do the usual things:

Open case, clean away dust, check fan is working.
Undervolt CPU, and maybe underclock too, to keep CPU from overheating.
Consider using a laptop cooler.
Re-apply thermal paste on CPU.

#5 2013-11-25 01:38:22

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

The point is that no one will be able to replicate the conditions that you plan on using your machine at. Performance related tweaks are dependent on many factors and so its best that you try it yourself. Try a few things and see what is the optimum settings that you are happy with. I really don't know how someone else can help you on that other than maybe point you to "how to do it" and it seems you already know that.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2013-11-25 05:46:07

ewaller
Administrator

Gulver wrote:

Most discussions of temperature are guesses.

Where are you measuring temperatures? 
The heat sink?
The internal (buried) junction in the silicon?
The surface of the IC package?
The exhaust airflow temperature?
How are they being measured?

What is the concern?  (In other words, why was a specific sensor installed? Why is it important?)
Reliability?
Power Consumption?
Surface temperature?
Exhaust temperature?
Fan noise?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2013-11-25 07:22:47

Gulver

I have no idea where this specific sensor is, Isa Adapter? roll

Surface temperature can be told as uncomfortable, however, I actually am not too concerned since in windows 8 with official drivers it mostly runs about 102 too, especially when you turn an application called cool sense which tries to cool the surface while actually conceding from actual temp of hardware, it's just that I'm kind of a being cautious since I'm yet to pay the remaining bill of my laptop big_smile

Fan noise is fine, I regularly air compress the open lines while power is off and I can tell that exhaust temperature happens to be far cooler what it feels from surface and along side of high readings, maybe I should tune up the fans to work a little more but I have no idea where to begin; I cannot recall tlp has any fan scaling or anything related. If my consumption seems to be true, could you give me any pointers about where to begin?

Last edited by Gulver (2013-11-25 07:23:31)

#8 2013-11-25 12:49:29

socials

102 degrees? Are you kidding me? That is definitely not normal, obviously something is wrong with the hardware. You should take it back to where you bought it for repair.

Board footer