You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-26 06:12:41

EvanPurkhiser
Website

Dealing with "Accept to download" agreements?

Hey guys,

I wanted to make a little package for the "ventrilo_status" program. This is a CLI tool that's part of the ventrilo voice chat software.

The download page for this particular piece of software is located here http://www.ventrilo.com/dlprod.php?id=102

I see there is a package in the AUR for the ventrilo-server portion of the software, and that the PKGBUILD requires the user to select the "I Agree" button in lynx.

I was curious if this is how I have to download the software archive due to licensing reasons? Or is there a better way to approach this to keep the makepkg process automated? I would really like to avoid a build dependency like lynx.   

I also have a second more technical question. To download the file you have to make a POST request to the download page. I'm able to do this with curl with the following command

curl -X POST -d "Download=I Agree" -o ventrilo.tar.gz "http://dlx2.ventrilo.com/dl.php?server_linux_i386&8881575364671"

It doesn't look like I can specify any additional parameters to the DELAGENTS makepkg uses to download the source array. Is there a best practice I can follow for properly managing the download without using the source array?

Thanks,

Last edited by EvanPurkhiser (2013-11-26 06:54:31)

#2 2013-11-26 11:37:56

Lone_Wolf

Re: Dealing with "Accept to download" agreements?

I'm 99% sure any (AUR) PKGBUILD that needs user interaction during building is frowned upon.

I do remember seeing packages in the AUR that needed files from original CDs, and the most commonly used solution then was :
- add the necessary files to the source array
- put a note in comments how to get those files from the original CDs, and manually put them in the directory where the PKGBUILD is stored

I think the best place to ask your questions is the aur-general mailing list (see https://mailman.archlinux.org/mailman/l … ur-general ),
so TUs can give their input.

Booting with apg Openrc, NOT systemd.
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

#3 2013-11-26 12:01:54

progandy

Re: Dealing with "Accept to download" agreements?

If you want to create an interactive download protocol, then this would be a separate package which provides a new DLAGENT. You could do something like this:
source=("somefile.tar.gz::interactive://parameters)
The interactive protocol will parse the parameters, do something with it, interact with the user, and as the last step download/move the file to somefile.tar.gz

In your case, I would go with a simple comment that asks the user to place the archive next to the PKGBUILD and add only the filename to the source array.

Last edited by progandy (2013-11-26 12:02:32)

Board footer