You are not logged in.

#1 2003-01-03 15:28:39

jon

ArchLinux FTP Server

hi all, big_smile

i would like to get arch to run as a ftp server. It will run on VMware on a WindowsXP pro box that has a static ip and is a HTTP proxy server. Is this possible??

What programs should i use??

I would like to be able to logon to the server from the internet and reterive files from it via FTP. Only one or two computers will connect to it at any one time.

Should/Can i just use Cygwin? Will it make it easyer or harder?

Thanks
Jon

#2 2003-01-04 05:07:42

BluPhoenyx

Re: ArchLinux FTP Server

jon wrote:

i would like to get arch to run as a ftp server. It will run on VMware on a WindowsXP pro box that has a static ip and is a HTTP proxy server. Is this possible??

What programs should i use??

I would like to be able to logon to the server from the internet and reterive files from it via FTP. Only one or two computers will connect to it at any one time.

Should/Can i just use Cygwin? Will it make it easyer or harder?

This seems to be a convoluted method of running an ftp server. I want to say yes since you can do this sort of thing with VmWare running on Linux based systems. I'm not sure of the exact steps for setting up the ftpd, although this isn't all that hard. You can also try the wuftp system. http://www.wu-ftpd.org/

As for programs to use for ftp, you should spend a little time researching this. This way you know what's running and what on the system is open to attack and you can then decide which provides the options and/or fits you personally. I will suggest to install as minimal a system as possible and keep the basic hardware down to only what you need. Ie no sound should be necessary and reasonably small drive.

I have no idea what you plan to do with Cygwin. You might be able to build the ftpd and other support stuff but by then you would have been better off just looking into the ftp support for Windows itself. Yes, it exists. No, I don't use it and can't help there.

BluPhoenyx

Board footer