You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-24 07:17:03

phoxelua

Unable to boot without USB

Hi guys,

I just set up Arch from USB onto a Lenovo U410 Touch. I am trying to run pure Arch so I got rid of Windows 8 completely. When I try to boot, I get this message:

"Intel UNDI. PXE-2.1 (build 083)

This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents .......(list of patents)

Realtek PCIe  FE Family Controller Series v1.27 (10/31/11)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

"

I get this regardless of the boot order I set in the BIOS (ATA SSD, PCI LAN, ATA HDD, Boot Manager). The above message will flash then I'm looped back to those 4 boot options again. But when I boot from the installation USB and choose "Boot existing OS" with options ".com32 boot/syslinux/chain.c32 hd1 0" I'm able to get into tty1 and all is good (?).

Please help!!! ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2014-01-24 14:20:09

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Unable to boot without USB

It looks like your system is trying to boot from the network.  That means (a) the network boot is at a higher priority than disks (unlikely) or, (b) your system cannot find a boot loader on your disk.

How did you "Get rid of"  Windows?
I assume you have secure boot with UEFI on that system.  Is all of that set up correctly?  Unfortunately, I cannot offer much help in that realm, I've no experience with UEFI.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-01-24 16:43:22

vanquish

Your efi-boot-order has changed.
Please post the print of the command efibootmgr.

The output looks like this:

BootCurrent: 0004
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0002,0001,0003,000D,0007,0009,0004,0005,0008,000A,000B,000C,000E,0000,0012
Boot0000* UEFI/BIOS Setup Menu
Boot0001* Boot Menu
Boot0002  Diagnostic Splash Screen
Boot0003  Lenovo Diagnostics
Boot0004* archlinux
Boot0005* archlinux_rescue
Boot0007* USB CD
Boot0008  USB FDD
Boot0009* CD/DVD Drive
Boot000A  ATA HDD0
Boot000B  ATA HDD1
Boot000C  ATA HDD2
Boot000D* USB Harddisk
Boot000E  LAN/PXE
Boot0010  MEBx Hot Key
Boot0011  Startup Interrupt Menu
Boot0012  Rescue and Recovery

You can change this order simply by e.g.:
efibootmgr -o 0001,0002,0003,000D,0007,0009,0004,0005,0008,000A,000B,000C,000E,0000,0012

But for me it looks something went wrong during installation. Where did you install the bootmanager? What did you install? To get more as a console you have to install any windowmanager.

Last edited by vanquish (2014-01-24 19:17:22)

#4 2014-01-24 18:58:27

WonderWoofy

@vanquish, please use code tags.

Considering that the OP is able to boot from the syslinux menu by selecting "boot from existing OS", it would seem to me that he/she must be using the legacy bios functionality.  I don't think that UEFI actually supports chainloading like the old mbr/bios did, and you certainly wouldn't be able to chainload UEFI from archiso's bios syslinux (the UEFI in the archiso uses gummiboot).

I think that the OP must just have smoething not right about the bootloader setup on the installed system.  Though without more info, it is hard to tell what exactly.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2014-01-24 19:01:43)

#5 2014-01-24 19:30:06

phoxelua

Thanks for the super fast reply guys!

@ ewaller: I think I wiped Windows by just installing Arch right over it in the partitioning step ( fdisk /dev/sdb followed by all the default options in the wiki tutorial) I put it on the hard drive not the SSD. I think it you're right about (b) since I played around with all combinations of the boot order. I also had UEFI disabled in the BIOS

@vanquish: I haven't put any windows manager on yet (sorry for being such a noob I don't even know how). I put the bootmanager on the main hard drive by typing

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sdb --force 

. To clarify, I put when I select Boot existing OS with options .com32 boot/syslinux/chain.c32 hd1 0 I do see the the GRUB menu that offers me to boot into Arch LInux pkg-linux, Arch LInux pkg-linux (fallback initramfs), Arch Linux, and Advanced options for Arch Linux. 

@WonderWolfy: I'm not sure what legacy bios is but I do have USB Legacy enabled in the BIOS. I think you are right that I messed up the bootloader setup.

#6 2014-01-24 19:46:53

WonderWoofy

@phoxelua, why did you use --force?  If it wasn't installing to your MBR without it, I thihnk that would indicate bigger problems that you should have debugged.  Are you using GPT or MBR partitioning?  Because fdisk used to work only on MBR, but these days it does both.  If you have an existing GPT partition table on the disk, it will automatically use that.  If it is indeed GPT, then you would need to use a BIOS boot partition if you want to use grub.  See the Arch wiki page on grub for more details.

What I mean by 'legacy BIOS' is that you are basically using the old MBR method of booting.  On a machine that is capable of both UEFI and MBR booting, the old method is typically referred to as 'legacy'.  Since 'BIOS' can refer to a number of different things, I just figured the usage of 'legacy' would clarify that I was referring to the boot method and not the configuration interface.

#7 2014-01-24 20:05:39

phoxelua

@WonderWolfy: When I tried it without force to told me something along the lines of  "will not proceed with blocklists". So I  looked on the GRUB wikipage https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gr … _systems_2 and it recommended that I use --force. I followed the installation guide partitioning with MBR but I'm not sure whether it had an existing GPT table.

#8 2014-01-24 21:32:38

WonderWoofy

Again, you should not use --force unless you know that you have good reason to do so.  If you had read that page you linked to a bit more carefully, you would see that those intructions are for installing grub to a partitionless disk or to a partition superblock.  Neither of those things apply to a normal installation to a MBR.

You need to determine if you are using GPT or not.  If you are, then you need to create a BIOS boot partition (sometimes referred to as the Grub partition).  These instructions are clearly shown on the grub wiki page.  Then you need to reinstall grub, properly this time.

Alternatively, you could simply use syslinux, which is not so bloated and fits in the MBR just fine.  Arch's syslinux package even ships with a script to install it that makes it super simple.  But configuration of the syslinux.cfg is a manual endeavor (though it should be as simple as changing a single number in the kernel command line).

Another alternative would be to learn how to set up UEFI and use that instead.  Since you are starting from a point of minimal knowledge of the boot process, this might be a great option since you won't have the traditional boot process clouding the way you look at things.  Typically people are confused by UEFI simply because it differs from how the old MBR boot process works.

#9 2014-01-24 21:51:34

phoxelua

@ WonderWoofy: Oh it seems I misunderstod the meaning of partitionless disk. After running parted /dev/sdb print it says that my partition table is msdos which is MBR (which is MBR according to Google, I guess). I will try to use syslinux. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you so much for your guidance!

#10 2014-01-24 22:11:12

ewaller
Administrator

Sorry, I have been off in the real world ....

Yes, if you have turned of UEFI in the BIOS, then you should go ahead and use MBR.  Syslinux is a good choice.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#11 2014-01-24 22:43:38

phoxelua

@WonderWoofy and ewaller: Ok I've seem to have replaced GRUB with syslinux. However, I still have to boot using the USB and selecting "Boot existing OS" with ".com32 boot/syslinux/chain.c32 hd1 0". Sorry if I was not clear before but my issue is that my computer does not recognize any bootloader when I power it on without a USB.

Without a USB, it leads me to the "Intel UDE...." black screen I described earlier at the beginning of my post. No ordering of the boot menu list changes this. I can not get into any bootloader.
With a USB, I can get to any bootloader I want (before GRUB and now syslinux), by selecting  "Boot existing OS" and changing hd0 to hd1.

So I guess my question is how do I get into a bootloader without a USB?

#12 2014-01-25 06:49:22

phoxelua

Also, after typing fdisk -l I got these results (sorry about the jank camera shot):

http://i.imgur.com/DoBSbNf.jpg

I think the line "This doesn't look like a partition table..." is pertinent here but the closest thing I can find on Google is https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1183776 . Which really isn't the same thing. Thanks for putting up with my ignorance so far. Please help I'm really stuck sad

-- mod edit: read the rules and only post thumbnails https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=61754  [jwr] --

Board footer