You are not logged in.

#3676 2014-01-19 14:50:44

sankran

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi, All
Been using Arch for last one year. Only joined here today. Just want to says Hi to all of you.

#3677 2014-01-19 21:55:05

kuenx

Hi all,

I'm Max from Switzerland.

I've been a Linux Mint user since 2007. Before that I used Debian for a while and then switched to Ubuntu for couple weeks until I discovered Mint.
I loved it pretty much. apt-get is awesome and it has lots of reasonably up-to-date packages. I've been using Awesome WM for couple years so I've always had a lot of dead software on my system that I never used.

Recently, I bought a new Laptop and did the usual installation of Mint. But there were couple essential things that I couldn't get to work even after 2 weeks of trying.
So I gave Arch a try and everything works. I had to install it a second time because I messed it up. Installing Arch is a lot of work but it's worth it. My system is now several gigabytes smaller and contains only the things I want.

I really like it and I'm planning to stay. The forum, the wiki and the availability of packages are really awesome! And I like the idea of a rolling release. I never trusted the upgrade mechanism from one version to another, so instead I always swapped out the hard drive, did a fresh install and moved my stuff over.

#3678 2014-01-20 12:57:13

CirJohne

Hello everyone!

I'm new to linux and tried Arch for fun a couple of weeks and I love it so far. The newbie forum has been a great source of help so thank you all.

#3679 2014-01-20 14:49:01

Ravana

Yeah so I've been using Arch for over a year and now I finally bothered to stop lurking and make my account and with that, my first intro post! Big fan of the whole minimalistic diy from scratch mentality, together with the bleeding edge rolling release. Messed around a bit with Ubuntu, Fedora, Mageia, Chakra and a few others and then ultimately I got bored of those and I wanted to build something up from scratch in the terminal so I just went Arch and never looked back since then. I do find that with the AUR, I never have to add third party repos, which is nice. Overall, I really appreciate the driving philosophy and the whole community. big_smile

#3680 2014-01-20 16:09:34

drcouzelis
Website

Ravana wrote:

Overall, I really appreciate the driving philosophy

Which is "The computer isn't done being configured until I'm the only person in the world who understands how to do anything on it."

Welcome! smile

#3681 2014-01-21 00:41:19

AdamStanford
Website

I have been using ArchLinux for approximately 18 months.  I chose it after trying LFS (Linux From Scratch) because of its simplicity.  It is as close to LFS as I could find and did not  like the part of LFS which involves starting over because of screwing something up in a build.  I like Archlinux because it is built a lot like LFS but does not require compiling every package one at a time.  I like pacman and AUR.

This is my first post and my first time registering on these forums.  I am hopeful to meet someone similar.  I am a student and computer science is a minor to me, although it was originally my major.  I have expanded my horizons to include a lot of other things but I also keep a computer close.

#3682 2014-01-22 07:44:32

elshaka

Hello everyone, I started using linux in 2006 when XGL/Compiz came out and it was all about wobbly windows and desktop cubes. As a GNOME 3 user my distro of choice Ubuntu wasn't cutting it anymore so I started using Antergos a couple of months ago and despite the weird defaults I was able to get a pure GNOME 3 experience and I had the chance of getting familiar with the very basics of an Arch-based system.

Yesterday I decided to try to install ArchLinux and to my surprise it wasn't any harder than a Debian netinstall, I guess I was expecting something more complicated that wasn't worth the hassle but instead I got a snappy linux system just the way I like it in no time.

This is awesome.

Last edited by elshaka (2014-01-22 07:48:14)

#3683 2014-01-22 12:58:35

lef

Hello everybody!

I'm lef from Italy, I'm a university CS student currently at the second year.
I've been a linux user for about 3 years and after passing through various distros (Ubuntu, Mint, Gentoo, Suse) I finally settled on Arch (+ i3-wm) mainly because I really appreciated the KISS concept and discovered it reflected my view of how an OS (and not just that) should be.

Going to give my best to contribute to the community!

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."
-Albert Einstein-

#3684 2014-01-23 02:14:52

Daw11

Hi people, thumbs up for the best linux distro.

#3685 2014-01-23 11:45:41

The Illusionist Mirage
Website

Hi Linux users! I'm Koushtav a.k.a. The Illusionist Mirage

Arch Linux is the best! wink Hoping for a worthwhile experience.

Long live C++
My website : http://fleptic.eu

#3686 2014-01-23 23:44:13

0strodamus

Hello! I'm a recovering Windoze user and I dabbled with a few distributions in VirtualBox before making the switch to Linux. I noticed during this trial period that I ended up in the Arch wiki way more frequently than any other online resource. I really learned a lot installing my system and Iike that with Arch everything isn't pre-made for the end-user. It's been a couple months now and everything has been great so far. Thanks to everyone for creating and sharing Arch Linux! You guys are the best!

archlinux | OpenRC | TOMOYO Linux | Xfce

"In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

#3687 2014-01-25 02:32:29

wyatt8740

While technically I still am using an ubuntu based distro, I have followed the instructions on the arch linux wiki for so much that almost nothing (kernel, X server, apt, even the file manager!) is what came packaged with Linux Mint anymore (all either replaced or custom-built with tweaks). I ended up on the Arch wiki so often to find answers to problems i found answers to nowhere else that I plan to use arch next time I need to install a linux distro on a machine or upgrade an existing one. I mainly joined now so I could provide a solution I found to a problem with the broadcom chipsets that does not require using the STA driver instead of b43. Anyway, I am extremely thankful to the amount of answers I have found on this site. Thank you so much! I look (almost eagerly) on the next time I have to upgrade a linux machine. :)

#3688 2014-01-25 11:03:10

GloW_on_dub

@wyatt8740 : why not use archlinux ? you will still have the wiki, and it will be more acurate big_smile

#3689 2014-01-25 12:44:51

sthag

Hello Everyone.
A friend of mine introduced Arch to me a while ago.
I instantly though well that's the way I like an operating system.
Took some time to get everything together but now it's done.

And I'm here smile

#3690 2014-01-26 00:13:15

DerGatt

Hello Everyone,
using Arch since a couple of month now. I was using Ubuntu before and wanted to try something new and rolling.
Arch has been awesome so far.

#3691 2014-01-26 20:15:31

Kenshin.H

Hi, I am new to Arch Linux just installed it yesterday. I was an Ubuntu and Debian user, so all these Arch stuff are new to me.

#3692 2014-01-26 20:16:52

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

... okay? Hi?

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2014-01-26 20:17:03)

#3693 2014-01-26 20:20:14

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Official Hello Everyone thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3694 2014-01-27 09:41:57

Ovopax

Hello world.
Finally made it to arch via windows-redhat-windows-ubuntu-windows-ubuntu-crunchbang.
Now I'm staying.

#3695 2014-01-27 15:25:21

drcouzelis
Website

Hello again, everyone! This is my second official introduction in this thread. Why? Because after over four years I just finished installing Arch Linux for the second time. big_smile

I bought a used Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 for my little daughter and finished setting it up last night. I chose Arch Linux because I really like having the latest versions of software, especially web browsers, plugins, and games. It's an older computer (2006) so Arch Linux also makes it feel nice and snappy.

Thank you, Arch Linux peoples!

(@ my original post: I used to use LiveJournal?? Yikes. yikes )

#3696 2014-01-27 21:48:15

geodoo
Website

Hi! Arch is great!!! And Blackarch is cool... smile

Complexity hides insecurity

www.fortsecurity.gr

#3697 2014-01-28 01:14:22

drcouzelis
Website

geodoo wrote:

Hi! Arch is great!!! And Blackarch is cool... smile

blackarch.org wrote:

BlackArch Linux is an Arch-based GNU/Linux distribution for pentesters and security researchers.

Interesting. I'd never heard of it before. smile

#3698 2014-01-28 03:56:48

miktore

GottZ wrote:

Hello Everyone!

nobody will read this anyways but i just write it down now.

to be honest.. i don't really know the time i started using linux.

i've got my first experiences with Knoppix in around 2005 i think.. maybe a year later. i tried to use it in order to restore some data from an unbootable ntfs drive so i can re-install windows xp.
later then i've tried certain other live cd distributions to poke around with stuff.

it continued with vm's.

i had some kind of feeling that there are less strict barriers in all these distributions than in any Micro$oft OS. its just that you can change everything.. EVERYTHING..

well..

in that time i've been young and stupid. now i'm 25 actually..

i've installed and played around with Ubuntu, Debian and fedora. i basically preferred Debian since it seemed to be the less bloated distribution. Ubuntu had and always has features that just don't work (even though they ship it this way) but in exchange it was looking sweet.

basically i've installed Debian so i could dual boot into windows xp and Debian. when i've been in windows i used to use vmware player to run Debian. when i've been in Debian i just accessed the data on my ntfs partitions so i never had to switch in order to access my data.

somehow i lost interest in using this linux partition for certain reasons. mainly because most of the applications i use don't work well in wine and do not really have fine native applications on linux.
Photoshop, steam, notepad++, cinema 4d, ms office, ... just these kind of applications held me back from using linux for every day usage.

before i joined a software engineering company i just started learning c++ and sure had some success in writing plugins for valve's source engine games like half-life 2 deathmatch and counter-strike source.
this is also how i first came in touch with serversided linux for game server hosting purposes.

then, around.. two years ago i started working for a small company that did software engineering in c / c++ for IO modules they invented them self.
they used a creepy and overaged vmware image using ubuntu and certain other aged components to develope the firmware parts for their modules.
this was the first time i really came in touch with linux on a daily basis. at first i just used to use windows and a shared folder to forward sourcecode to the vm so i could compile it. later than i figured out how i could use putty to connect to the vm so i could compile my stuff without opening up that bloated vm window. i learned basics in VI and since the IO module i was working on was using busybox as basis i came in touch with message queues, temp fs, nfs, other unix related programming.. it was inspiring and i learned alot.
sadly my boss was not willing to teach me anything so i learned all that stuff myself and some day quit the job for multiple reasons (just got enough money so i could travel from home to work and back every day, got yelled, had to work alone and had to Google everything myself since my boss was incompetent)

well.. in that time a good friend found a job in a neat huge company. he made it possible for me to join that company too and so i did.
the job at first was not really my favorite since i had to do telephone support and install software packages remotely onto pc's.
i fixed problems using my private experience and our internal wiki and colleagues as reference and was doing what i could to succeed without alot failure.

after a while we got some internal restructuring and most of us turned into an administrative application management department.
i was happy because i finally had to work fulltime with software again.
the outcome is that i'm now debugging some of our internal software, fixing things, writing scripts for automation, working on projects to improve our workflows etc.
basically i'm happy and thankfull for the job i have now.
we use linux and windows based servers so my already achieved knowledge comes in handy.
another big bonus is that we are the only department in that company that is able to choose which operating system each employee uses.
i choose arch linux because a good friend (szt in this forum) told me to give it a try.

i still use arch and love it.
since arch gave me lots of trouble i learned alot about linux / gnu / arch while fixing all theese problems that were poking me alot.
what i like the most about arch is that it is fast, a rolling release system and that it is required to do some manual work to get stuff running.

i use it on two servers and two laptops. i play around with it alot and recently started using a self compiled linux kernel big_smile yay
well i still have a long way to go in order to be able to contribute but srsly.. even though i went into the world of linux from the surface to the inner parts and not the good old way.. i do make progress and will continue to do so big_smile

thats it. thank you for reading my horrible grammatically incorrect english. my native language is german.

greetz GottZ

Well, your post is inspiring, I hope I can contribute to the community someday too.

#3699 2014-01-28 04:33:51

sushixnyan
Website

Hi everyone ^-^. I've been using Arch Linux for a while now and decided that I should finally join the forums! It's been a few years since I started using Arch Linux but I still love it as much as I always have smile

Github   Blog   DeviantArt
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#3700 2014-01-28 06:58:50

jpgg

I have been using Arch linux for about 8 months. It was just a perfect fit. I always wanted to know how my computer works. My journey so far with computers is mostly characterized by the removal of all the bloat that usually comes with it. Four years ago, I was using Windows and I always felt frustrated by the lack of understanding of my system. Then, 3 years ago, I came across linux, installed Ubuntu by myself and learned a lot in the following 2 years. Then, the same frustration that I felt on Windows came back. I have also learned about the free software movement and all the philosophies. I ditched Windows and Ubuntu and installed Arch as my only OS.

Now I have a very simple setup with dwb, vim, mutt and dwm as the main parts of it. I have removed everything that was not necessary and I have overcome the feeling that automatic crap are a must on a system. (I am thinking about automounting, autoconnect to wifi, etc.) I am now in full control of my system and I can understand how it really works and I can focus on what's really important.

I am somewhat proud of this journey considering that just 3 years ago, I was a total newb in computing. For instance, I didn't know what was a text files (compared to Word documents). I now know C programming, bash, git, etc. I will certainly be using Arch linux for a long time.

Last edited by jpgg (2014-01-28 07:11:02)

Board footer