You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-30 18:12:56

chindit

[Postfix]Need help with POP/IMAP

Hi,

I'm currently trying to run a postfix server with virtual users and SSL encryption.
I've followed a lot of tutorials and, at least, I think things are OK.
For example, I can send mail by typing «telnet localhost 25» Great!

But I've some questions:

• I've tried to connect to the server from Thunderbird but… it fails («Configuration could not be verified»).
    Is there a server problem?  Or Thunderbird?  In fact, I don't know if IMAP and POP are OK (each with TLS/SSL)… :-(

• I've noticed that I can send emails as «test@domain.com» from «telnet localhost 25» (test@domain.com is the test user I've put on mysql).  How could it be?  I've added a password in MySQL, so, why am I not prompted for it?

For IMAP/POP, I use Courier.  I don't know which config files you need to help me so, just ask ;-)

Thanks a lot for you help.

#2 2014-01-30 20:41:00

teekay

Re: [Postfix]Need help with POP/IMAP

chindit wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently trying to run a postfix server with virtual users and SSL encryption.
I've followed a lot of tutorials and, at least, I think things are OK.
For example, I can send mail by typing «telnet localhost 25» Great!

But I've some questions:

• I've tried to connect to the server from Thunderbird but… it fails («Configuration could not be verified»).
    Is there a server problem?  Or Thunderbird?  In fact, I don't know if IMAP and POP are OK (each with TLS/SSL)… :-(

Well, are you trying to use IMAP or POP3? What does /var/log/mail.log spit out when you try to connect? Is it an authentication issue (saslauthd etc)?
You can test with telnet localhost pop3 and see if you get a proper response.

• I've noticed that I can send emails as «test@domain.com» from «telnet localhost 25» (test@domain.com is the test user I've put on mysql).  How could it be?  I've added a password in MySQL, so, why am I not prompted for it?

That depends on your postfix configuration. Local users can be configured to not need any authentification which makes sense for system mail.

For IMAP/POP, I use Courier.  I don't know which config files you need to help me so, just ask ;-)

My sincere condolences to you for choosing courier. :-) If you didn't have any specific reson to do that, I'd recommend to use dovecot.

Anyways, the very least info we'll need is postconf -n + the courier config files and some logs, as a start.

Board footer