You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-30 23:27:49

potterzot

Very strange problem: some links redirect to an old wifi network

When I use my public libraries wifi I have no problem. It's afterward that the reign of terror begins. When I'm back home, even though I'm not connected to the library wifi anymore, if I click on some links (for example, the link at the top of a RES reddit link), I get rerouted to a library page that says the page isn't found.

I am thinking it must be a dns lookup or domainname lookup issue or something, but my resolv.conf looks exactly normal, and I'm not sure where else to look. Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks

PS - I should note that this never happens with any other wifi network I connect to. Only the Public Library one.

#2 2014-01-31 00:43:34

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Very strange problem: some links redirect to an old wifi network

You did not mention which browser you use, but try clearing your browser cache.  At the library, use whatever private or incognito mode your browser supports.  I suspect they are modifying content on-the-fly to either "Improve your experience" or to monitor your actions.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-01-31 01:28:12

potterzot

Re: Very strange problem: some links redirect to an old wifi network

Ah, that's a great thought. Thank you!

I use chrome, but generally not in incognito mode, especially when working. But I'll try flushing hte chrome cache

Board footer