You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-31 16:49:48

doblerone

[SOLVED] fails after last update

I updated my system this morning. Now, when I start the pc, I can't do almost anything.
For example, I launch Chromium and after a while, it starts but it can't load any websites.
I can't neither open a terminal nor Dolphin!
In the other hand, Cairo dock, which is loaded with a bash scripts, loads as usual.

But the weirdest thing is that when the computer is starting, once the KDE desktop is loaded, Kate seems to run automatically but if I try to see what it is, the computer hangs for a while and Kate closes.

What can I do?

Last edited by doblerone (2014-02-02 08:05:22)

#2 2014-01-31 17:03:55

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] fails after last update

doblerone wrote:

I  Now, when I start the pc, I can't do almost anything.

I parse that as "You can do almost everything" tongue

For example, I launch Chromium and after a while, it starts but I can't load any websites. I can't neither open a terminal!

But the weirdest thing is that when the computer is starting, once the KDE desktop is loaded, Kate seems to run automatically but if I try to see what it is, the computer hangs for a while and Kate closes.

What can I do?

What did you update?
Is the system fully up to date?
What happens when you try to open a terminal?  How are you trying to open a terminal.  What terminal program? Have you tried a different terminal program?
Is Kate supposed to open automatically on your system?
What does "if I try to see what it is" mean?
When the computer hangs, can you switch to a different console? Can you log into that tty?
How do you start KDE?
Edit: And most importantly, read the article linked in my signature.

Last edited by ewaller (2014-01-31 17:05:14)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-01-31 17:22:27

doblerone

Edited three post below

Last edited by doblerone (2014-01-31 18:51:02)

#4 2014-01-31 18:34:27

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

doblerone wrote:

What did you update?
I don't remember exactly all the packages (Skype, cmake and a few more).

I try to keep my system updated

What happens when you try to open a terminal?  How are you trying to open a terminal.  What terminal program? Have you tried a different terminal program?
If I try to open a terminal (Konsole) from Cairo-dock, the terminal doesn´t open. I try to open it from the KDE app launcher, but it doesn't work neither. In fact, it doesn't even display the options.

Is Kate supposed to open automatically on your system?
Kate isn't supposed to open. As I edited on my post, I load Cairo-dock with a bash script.

If I try to open why is Kate opening, Kate hangs and it closes.

When the computer hangs, can you switch to a different console? Can you log into that tty?
When it hangs, I try to log into a tty (ALT+F2) but I can't do it.

How do you start KDE?
KDE starts automatically.

Please use quote tags for your posts to be legible. The above post is a mess between what ewaller asked and what you are answering. There are tools available, use them.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2014-01-31 18:39:05

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

doblerone wrote:

What did you update?
I don't remember exactly all the packages (Skype, cmake and a few more).

You should check pacman.log to be sure, before asking that question.

doblerone wrote:

I try to keep my system updated

What does try mean? Its a simple question...is your system fully updated or not?

doblerone wrote:

If I try to open why is Kate opening, Kate hangs and it closes.

Huh ?? if you try to open "WHAT" why is Kate opening?

doblerone wrote:

When it hangs, I try to log into a tty (ALT+F2) but I can't do it.

What does cant do it mean? what happens? errors? shit hits the fan? what ?

doblerone wrote:

How do you start KDE?
KDE starts automatically.

Gahh !! the question was how -- as in do you use a Desktop manager or do you start it with .xinitrc or some other method ?

Jeez !! Please post legibly. You are making it awfully difficult for any of us to help you.

P.S. -- If language is a barrier then you can also try posting in the Other Languages forum in your native language and someone might be able to help you there-- but you still need to define the problem clearly -- no matter what language.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2014-01-31 18:47:42

doblerone

Inxsible wrote:

What did you update?

the last things upgraded are: cmake, id3lib, imagemagick, jre7-openjdk-headless, jre7-openjdk, libpcap, xcb-util-wm, qt5-base, qt5-xmlpatterns,
qt5-declarative, qt5-location, qt5-sensors, qt5-webkit, skype and linux-utils

Inxsible wrote:

Yes

Inxsible wrote:

Huh ?? if you try to open "WHAT" why is Kate opening?

If I try to open Kate because it has been launched automatically without any calling.

Inxsible wrote:

Yes, I can do it

Inxsible wrote:

How do you start KDE?

I start it automatically using a Desktop manager.

Inxsible wrote:

Jeez !! Please post legibly. You are making it awfully difficult for any of us to help you.

You're absolutely right. My apologies.

Last edited by doblerone (2014-01-31 18:52:32)

#7 2014-01-31 18:52:22

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I appreciate you going back and editing your previous post. Thank you.

Can you look at your Xorg logs and even journalctl to see if there are any errors Another thing you can do is to check dmesg immediately after Kate opens automatically. you may find some clues in it. Post any errors here.

Forum Rules

#8 2014-01-31 18:56:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

doblerone, this is a very odd thread.  You are contradicting yourself: can you or can you not log in to a different tty?  Could you not the first time you tried, but now you succeeded?  This is very confusing.

Also please elaborate on answers to questions.  For example, when asked how you start KDE your initial response was extremely vague, when asked for clarification you only took one small step: you said you use a desktop manager (I assume you meant display manager), but which one?  How is it configured? etc, etc.  If you provide just the smallest amount of response possible it will be very hard for anyone to help you.  More importantly, you will find that very few will be willing to try.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-01-31 18:57:27)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2014-01-31 19:03:34

doblerone

Inxsible wrote:

I appreciate you going back and editing your previous post. Thank you.

Can you look at your Xorg logs and even journalctl to see if there are any errors

How can I see my Xorg logs?

Journalctl gives some errors:
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
stat(/run/user/1000/gvfs) failed: Permission denied

Inxsible wrote:

Another thing you can do is to check dmesg immediately after Kate opens automatically

If I log in into a tty, and I type dmesg I got hundreds of lines. How can I show you these lines? I'm writing you from another laptop.

Last edited by doblerone (2014-01-31 19:21:26)

#10 2014-01-31 19:10:19

doblerone

Trilby wrote:

doblerone, this is a very odd thread.  You are contradicting yourself: can you or can you not log in to a different tty?  Could you not the first time you tried, but now you succeeded?  This is very confusing.

I made a mistake trying to connect to a different tty. That's why I asked negatively at the beggining. My apologies if I confusse you.

Trilby wrote:

Also please elaborate on answers to questions.  For example, when asked how you start KDE your initial response was extremely vague, when asked for clarification you only took one small step: you said you use a desktop manager (I assume you meant display manager), but which one?  How is it configured? etc, etc.  If you provide just the smallest amount of response possible it will be very hard for anyone to help you.  More importantly, you will find that very few will be willing to try.

I'm using KDM. It is loaded automatically as a service (kdm.service)

One more time. My apologies, but I'm learning fast today.

#11 2014-01-31 19:37:29

kokoko3k

this, in your logs:
"stat(/run/user/1000/gvfs) failed: Permission denied"
may produce the lags.
try:

sudo umount /run/user/1000/gvfs
sudo chown 1000 /run/user/1000/gvfs/ -R

...then logout/login or reboot

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#12 2014-01-31 19:48:44

doblerone

kokoko3k wrote:

this, in your logs:
"stat(/run/user/1000/gvfs) failed: Permission denied"
may produce the lags.
try:

sudo umount /run/user/1000/gvfs
sudo chown 1000 /run/user/1000/gvfs/ -R

...then logout/login or reboot

I did it, but I still have the same problem.
If I make again dmesg, it seems to be the D-Bus connection that is giving the problems, because I have the same error as before.

Last edited by doblerone (2014-01-31 20:01:25)

#13 2014-01-31 21:10:39

ewaller
Administrator

Okay.  I see I missed all the fun when I stepped away for a couple hours smile   
It looks like you did reboot after the upgrade.  Can you verify that?
You might verify that the system is up to date again.  Sometimes you catch a mirror in the middle of their updating.
Do you have other regular users set up on your system?  Have you tried KDE from a different account?  If need be, you may want to create a new user for such experiments.
Please verify you are not running as root.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#14 2014-01-31 22:34:15

doblerone

ewaller wrote:

It looks like you did reboot after the upgrade.  Can you verify that?

When my system went crazy, I made the upgrade and nothing happened. When I restarted a few hours later, it already has these issues

ewaller wrote:

You might verify that the system is up to date again.  Sometimes you catch a mirror in the middle of their updating.

I checked it from tty1 and it is up to date.

ewaller wrote:

Do you have other regular users set up on your system?  Have you tried KDE from a different account?  If need be, you may want to create a new user for such experiments.
Please verify you are not running as root.

I have the root account (which I'm not use it at all) and my personal account.

P.S.: I created a new account and everything seems to work on this account. Should I delete the configuration for the old profile? How can I do it from the new account?

Last edited by doblerone (2014-02-01 07:39:59)

#15 2014-02-01 18:50:31

ewaller
Administrator

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I've been hacking OpenGL big_smile

You can do it from the new account if you use sudo.  The much easier solution is to switch to a different console with Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or F3-F6), login in as your regular user, and either delete or move .kde4
If you really want to use the new account, use sudo do get access to the old account, then go remove or rename  /home/theOriginalUserName/.kde4

---

#16 2014-02-02 08:04:56

doblerone

ewaller wrote:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I've been hacking OpenGL big_smile

You can do it from the new account if you use sudo.  The much easier solution is to switch to a different console with Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or F3-F6), login in as your regular user, and either delete or move .kde4
If you really want to use the new account, use sudo do get access to the old account, then go remove or rename  /home/theOriginalUserName/.kde4

Thanks for your solution. Now it is working again!
Happy hacking big_smile

Board footer