You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-29 17:40:20

Superewza

Connecting to wired university internet?

Greetings, attempting to install arch on my new PC and falling at pretty much the first hurdle. My university has a wired internet system in halls that is set up similarly to eduroam, which is well documented for wireless connections but i can't seem to find anything for wired. Anyway, in order to get it working on my laptop, running Elementary, i had to set up the 802.1x security to use PEAP, no CA certificate, an anonymous identity, my own identity and password and MSCHAPv2, and then a global HTTP proxy. Last night i attempted to set this up using wpa-supplicant, but the results seem pretty similar to just using netctl with this profile that i cobbled together by looking at existing examples and guesswork (i'm a massive networking noob):

Description='Resnet Wired'
Interface=enp2s0
Connection=ethernet
Security=wpa-configsection
IP=dhcp
WPAConfigSection=(
    'key_mgmt=WPA_EAP'
    'eap=TTLS'
    'group=TKIP'
    'anonymous_identity="theanonymousidentity"'
    'identity="myidentity"'
    'password="mypassword"'
    'priority=1'
    'phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"'
)

When i try to use these settings dhcpcd just doesn't seem to find an address, and i have no idea how to troubleshoot this. Thanks for any ideas! smile

#2 2014-02-03 07:57:08

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Connecting to wired university internet?

I don't know much about this, but if you said you had to use PEAP before then that's "eap=PEAP". Also, when I used WPA2, I had to include "ssid" in the config section and "pairwise=TKIP CCMP".

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#3 2014-02-03 14:26:47

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

ConnorBehan wrote:

I don't know much about this, but if you said you had to use PEAP before then that's "eap=PEAP". Also, when I used WPA2, I had to include "ssid" in the config section and "pairwise=TKIP CCMP".

I'm not sure a _wired_ connection will have a ssid wink

On the configuration side, I would omit any nonessential configuration while trying to establish a connection and only after that I would try to restrict it. I would also look into any instruction for other operating systems in order to find clues of which configuration options are necessary.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2014-02-03 15:36:52

brain0
Developer

Agreed - you should definitely omit 'group=' since WPA can autodetect that. And for PEAP, you have to use 'eap=PEAP' (and I don't think PEAP has an anonymous_identity, but I'm not sure).

Board footer