You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-01 13:47:41

caj2arch

[SOLVED] Problems Installing gscan2pdf (Maybe perl-Related)

I am trying to install gscan2pdf from the AUR without success. I posted a narrative at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gscan2pdf/ . My statement there that seven of the nine perl-related packages are installed, however, is not correct. In fact, I can't determine that any of them are installed. As I said in the AUR post, I use Arch Linux and xfce that are otherwise up-to-date with 'pacman -Syu' and 'aurget -Syu'.

Here is a description of my process:

+ Run 'aurget -S gscan2pdf'. Within it, pacman reports "error: target not found" for nine perl-related packages and skips installing gscan2pdf. Among the packages not found is perl-sane.

+ Run 'aurget -S perl-sane'. To my very untrained eye the process appears to complete happily. I am including its output at the end of this post.

+ Run 'aurget -S gscan2pdf' again. pacman reports perl-sane among the targets not found.

+ Run 'pacman -Q | grep perl'. Neither perl-sane nor any of the other needed packages is listed.

I have a similar experience with all the packages that gscan2pdf requires.

I'm clueless here, but then I pretty much use pacman and aurget as black boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--------------------
~$ aurget -S perl-sane
:: Searching AUR...

Targets (1): perl-sane-0.05-3

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving taurball from AUR...
:: Building package...
Edit perl-sane's PKGBUILD before building? [Y/n] n
==> Making package: perl-sane 0.05-3 (Tue Apr  1 09:39:50 EDT 2014)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Downloading Sane-0.05.tar.gz...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
100 39417  100 39417    0     0  30338      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:--  164k
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    Sane-0.05.tar.gz ... Passed
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Extracting Sane-0.05.tar.gz with bsdtar
==> Starting build()...
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Sane
Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
cp lib/Sane.pm blib/lib/Sane.pm
/usr/bin/perl /usr/share/perl5/core_perl/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap /usr/share/perl5/core_perl/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap  Sane.xs > Sane.xsc && mv Sane.xsc Sane.c
cc -c  -I.  -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4   -DVERSION=\"0.05\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.05\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/core_perl/CORE"   Sane.c
Running Mkbootstrap for Sane ()
chmod 644 Sane.bs
rm -f blib/arch/auto/Sane/Sane.so
LD_RUN_PATH="/lib/../lib" cc  -shared -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro -L/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector Sane.o  -o blib/arch/auto/Sane/Sane.so     \
   -lsane      \

chmod 755 blib/arch/auto/Sane/Sane.so
cp Sane.bs blib/arch/auto/Sane/Sane.bs
chmod 644 blib/arch/auto/Sane/Sane.bs
Manifying blib/man3/Sane.3pm
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting package()...
Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into architecture dependent library tree
Installing /home/caj/perl-sane/pkg/perl-sane/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/auto/Sane/Sane.so
Installing /home/caj/perl-sane/pkg/perl-sane/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/auto/Sane/Sane.bs
Installing /home/caj/perl-sane/pkg/perl-sane/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Sane.pm
Installing /home/caj/perl-sane/pkg/perl-sane/usr/share/man/man3/Sane.3pm
Appending installation info to /home/caj/perl-sane/pkg/perl-sane/usr/lib/perl5/core_perl/perllocal.pod
==> Tidying install...
  -> Purging unwanted files...
  -> Removing libtool files...
  -> Removing static library files...
  -> Removing empty directories...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
==> Creating package "perl-sane"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Adding changelog file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: perl-sane 0.05-3 (Tue Apr  1 09:39:56 EDT 2014)
:: Discarding sources...
~$
~$ pacman -Q | grep perl
cairo-perl 1.104-1
glib-perl 1.304-1
gtk2-perl 1.249-1
pango-perl 1.225-1
perl 5.18.2-2
perl-config-tiny 2.20-1
perl-email-address 1.901-1
perl-error 0.17022-1
perl-extutils-depends 0.306-1
perl-extutils-pkgconfig 1.15-1
perl-io-string 1.08-8
perl-test-deep 0.112-1
perl-test-nowarnings 1.04-1
perl-test-tester 0.109-1
perl-xml-parser 2.41-4
perl-xml-simple 2.20-1
~$

Last edited by caj2arch (2014-04-05 21:40:19)

#2 2014-04-01 14:28:40

okubax
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problems Installing gscan2pdf (Maybe perl-Related)

No solution to your error sorry, but I have to ask why you aren't using simple-scan instead. It's in the community repo and does the same thing as gscan2pdf with less dependencies (unless you trying to avoid gtk3?). Does multipage pdf's also.

#3 2014-04-01 15:00:44

caj2arch

I have a file drawer full of old financial records that I would like to dump (well, shred), but I'm reluctant to lose the information. gscan2pdf offers not only multipage scanning, but also a feature that allows two scan passes to get the front and back sides of the pages, then reverses the second set and interleaves them into the final doc. Thus, the first pass that gets 1-3-5-7-9 and the second that grabs 10-8-6-4-2 will result in everything properly ordered in the ten-page .pdf result.

I (obviously) haven't tested this process in gscan2pdf, but it's exactly what I need for the project. If simple-scan can do this, I'm happy to give it a try. I couldn't find a features list for simple-scan in a quick look. Do you know?

#4 2014-04-01 16:11:05

okubax
Website

caj2arch wrote:

I have a file drawer full of old financial records that I would like to dump (well, shred), but I'm reluctant to lose the information. gscan2pdf offers not only multipage scanning, but also a feature that allows two scan passes to get the front and back sides of the pages, then reverses the second set and interleaves them into the final doc. Thus, the first pass that gets 1-3-5-7-9 and the second that grabs 10-8-6-4-2 will result in everything properly ordered in the ten-page .pdf result.

I (obviously) haven't tested this process in gscan2pdf, but it's exactly what I need for the project. If simple-scan can do this, I'm happy to give it a try. I couldn't find a features list for simple-scan in a quick look. Do you know?

I know simple-scan does front and back scanning but I'm not sure if it can do the reverse scan procedure you want

#5 2014-04-01 22:50:13

karol
Archivist

Read the wiki on how to use AUR.

When posting configs, code or command output, please use [ code ] tags https://bbs.archlinux.org/help.php#bbcode

like this

It makes the code more readable and - in case of longer listings - more convenient to scroll through.

#6 2014-04-03 18:54:35

Tristelune

Hi,

now I see the whole output and there is a difference. Take a look at the end of the process:

chmod 755 blib/arch/auto/Sane/Sane.so
Manifying blib/man3/Sane.3pm
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting package()...
Appending installation info to /home/macquat/perl-sane/pkg/perl-sane/usr/lib/perl5/core_perl/perllocal.pod
Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into architecture dependent library tree
Installing /home/user/perl-sane/pkg/perl-sane/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/auto/Sane/Sane.so
Installing /home/user/perl-sane/pkg/perl-sane/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/auto/Sane/Sane.bs
Installing /home/user/perl-sane/pkg/perl-sane/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Sane.pm
Installing /home/user/perl-sane/pkg/perl-sane/usr/share/man/man3/Sane.3pm
==> Tidying install...
  -> Purging unwanted files...
  -> Removing empty directories...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
==> Creating package "perl-sane"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Adding changelog file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: perl-sane 0.05-3 (Thu Apr  3 21:39:40 CEST 2014)
==> Installing package perl-sane with pacman -U...
loading packages...
warning: perl-sane-0.05-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (1): perl-sane-0.05-3

Total Installed Size:   0.11 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                     [-------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                   [-------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                        [-------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                  [-------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                [-------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) reinstalling perl-sane                                       [-------------------------------------] 100%
:: Discarding sources...

Ÿou don't have the line

==> Installing package perl-sane with pacman -U...

and after that the package is not installed. After installing it, do you have a directory named "perl-sane" in the current directory ?
If not, try to install with

aurget -S --nodiscard perl-sane

After that you should have a directory named "perl-sane" in the current directory. In this current directory you should find the package
(for me "perl-sane-0.05-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz") and if you find it, try to install it with

sudo pacman -U <package>

Another possibility would be to try to install with yaourt. Perhaps there is a problem with aurget. By the way, what is the output of

pacman -Qi sudo

#7 2014-04-04 21:52:00

caj2arch

Thanks for catching the missing -- but obviously vital -- details of pacman execution. I'm not sensitive to the expectations of pacman and aurget. I should have realized that pacman did not execute since I was not prompted for a sudo password.

I know that in previous attempts there was a directory named ~/perl-scan and it contained only PKGBUILD. Today, however, it does not appear in several tries. Running 'aurget -S --nodiscard perl-sane' presents two contrasts. First, ":: Discarding sources..." is absent from the conclusion; and second, the ~/perl-sane directory contains:

~$ ls -l perl-sane
total 84
-rw-r--r-- 1 caj caj   738 Apr  2  2012 Changes
-rw-r--r-- 1 caj caj 26740 Apr  3 17:42 perl-sane-0.05-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
drwxr-xr-x 3 caj caj  4096 Apr  3 17:42 pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 caj caj   940 Jun 28  2013 PKGBUILD
-rw-r--r-- 1 caj caj 39417 Apr  3 17:42 Sane-0.05.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x 3 caj caj  4096 Apr  3 17:42 src                    

I followed your suggestion of using 'sudo pacman -U <package>' and . . . SUCCESS!! I worked my way through each of the nine perl dependencies for gscan2pdf and used the manual approach. In some cases there were "dependencies on the dependencies" (or deeper) and I followed the same method. It was very tedious; I think I installed 26 packages this way, all of which were very small in size. Interestingly, some of the subordinate perl packages did identify and automatically install other perl packages. I didn't keep track, but I would estimate about eight to ten.

In answer to your question about 'pacman -Qi sudo' output:

Name           : sudo
Version        : 1.8.10.p2-1
Description    : Give certain users the ability to run some commands as root
Architecture   : x86_64
URL            : http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/
Licenses       : custom
Groups         : base-devel
Provides       : None
Depends On     : glibc  pam  libldap
Optional Deps  : None
Required By    : None
Optional For   : nmap
Conflicts With : None
Replaces       : None
Installed Size : 3126.00 KiB
Packager       : Evangelos Foutras <evangelos@foutrelis.com>
Build Date     : Mon 17 Mar 2014 12:11:05 PM EDT
Install Date   : Wed 19 Mar 2014 01:40:36 PM EDT
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : Yes
Validated By   : Signature                    

So, finally, any idea why aurget failed to run pacman at the end of all these sessions? And also why the various perl packages did not resolve their own dependencies?

No matter what, the bottom line is that I have gscan2pdf installed and I successfully scanned several documents. I'm pleased with the features and I think it's just what I need for the project. Thanks for your help.

#8 2014-04-05 07:24:27

Tristelune

I'm happy to see it finally worked. I thought it can be related with sudo, but now I don't think it's the problem.
For the next time or if you want to see if it works I would try with the AUR tool yaourt to see if you have the same problem.

Otherwise enjoy gscan2pdf wink !

#9 2014-04-05 11:10:38

caj2arch

Thanks. And thanks again.

#10 2014-04-05 21:17:04

karol
Archivist

Please remember to mark the thread as solved https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

Board footer