You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-04 18:13:11

biryoku

kernel/nvidia update seems related to 75 fps in glxgears

I think this is a kernel/hardware issue, because it seemed to have started with the new kernel, or atleast the subsequent new nvidia drivers. I dunno if this is standard procedure, but I typically have to reinstall/compile the nvidia graphics module whenever there's a kernel update of any kind.

Anywho, I used to get about 7 or 8k with glxgears (I got me a pretty snazzy nvidia 6800). Now I'm getting exactly 75 fps over and over. Direct rendering is working, all the libraries are the happy nvidia ones, the X config file is set up properly.

How do I know everything is set up properly? I have 5% cpu usage with glxgears. I also get about 75 fps in things like chromium, tuxracer, vegastrike, freedroidrpg and any other opengl app I could think of, without sucking up more than 10% or 20% cpu. OpenGL is working fine, but I get insanely low fps with glxgears!

Isn't that weird? Is anyone else getting that problem? I've got that new 8178 driver. I have a sinking suspicion that nvidia did this intentionally to ruin our nice meaningless benchmark. Or maybe not...

As a side note, whatever happened to their nice text readmes? That was my favorite thing about the nvidia drivers. Now they have some crappy html junk =[.

Why use Linux over Windows or Mac? That's like asking: "Why live in a democratic republic over an aristocratic fascism?"

#2 2006-02-04 22:04:06

Lone_Wolf

Re: kernel/nvidia update seems related to 75 fps in glxgears

Titanium 4200 gives me around 3k with glxgears

using latest stock kernel and the 8178 driver

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer