You are not logged in.

#2526 2014-04-15 20:07:50

py_crash

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

chenxiaolong wrote:

Ah, I forgot about that. You'll need to force remove libunity-webapps. I'll release an update to fix that right now smile

sudo pacman -Rdd libunity-webapps

Everything working. Anyway to get the hud working in Firefox or Thunderbird?

#2527 2014-04-15 20:14:02

chenxiaolong

py_crash wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Ah, I forgot about that. You'll need to force remove libunity-webapps. I'll release an update to fix that right now smile

sudo pacman -Rdd libunity-webapps

Everything working. Anyway to get the hud working in Firefox or Thunderbird?

Glad you got everything working! For Firefox and Thunderbird, you will need to install patched versions. There's a firefox-ubuntu package in the AUR, but I don't think anyone made a package for thunderbird. (Note that firefox takes a very long time to compile).

#2528 2014-04-15 20:22:14

py_crash

chenxiaolong wrote:

Glad you got everything working! For Firefox and Thunderbird, you will need to install patched versions. There's a firefox-ubuntu package in the AUR, but I don't think anyone made a package for thunderbird. (Note that firefox takes a very long time to compile).

It will be interesting to make a package for "firefox-globalmenu" for adding to Unity-for-Arch-Extra, but i've no time right now.

#2529 2014-04-15 20:37:05

chenxiaolong

qiuwei wrote:
qiuwei wrote:

After upgrading to Gnome 3.12 and the correspondant Unity packages, the unity shell failed to start up on my machine.
The lightdm, X all works. I can open the terminal on the desktop. But the launcher, the dash and the window decorations are gone.

Is there anyone else who has the same problem?

It turns out to be related to this problem https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=178290.

To be short, run

pacman -S gdk-pixbuf2

So strange, icons cache problem can cause the whole compiz segment fault.

@chenxiaolong,
Great work,  everything works like a charm:)
Thanks a lot!
However, the corners of the window decorations are not rounded anymore. There should be anti-aliased corners in this version of unity, right?

==== update ====
We do have anti-aliased corners! But most of the old themes do not have support for it yet.
Unity still doesn't work for multiple monitors.

Thanks! Glad you got everything working smile I've added your findings about gdk-pixbuf2 to my previous post with the instructions.

I tried getting the monitor settings to work, but it seems like all of that is done by mutter/gnome-shell now. Unity doesn't have the code to handle that unfortunately. I think I'll just hide the icon from the gnome-control-center.

#2530 2014-04-15 20:48:46

chenxiaolong

An update to gnome-control-center (and unity-control-center) are being built right now. This update adds the Unity appearance and Date & Time panels:

7CGBXJDs.png
tKOL9aDs.png
24wVFEls.png

#2531 2014-04-16 08:23:42

gianluca.pettinello

I have done the full installation and found some problems.
- FN+brightness keys are not wroking as before while in gnome they works. I think there is some crap misconfiguration in my system
- Close, maximize,minimize buttons are on the right and this cannot be changed any more
- When I expand a tree very often the window starts to flicker and the only way to stop is to move or resize the window
- I'm not able to disable global menus. The only solution is to uninstall the unity-gtk-module and indicator-appmenu packages

#2532 2014-04-16 18:53:56

Reded

I'm not sure if I've mixed a trick here, but I'm only able to use a few of the scopes. For example, on the 'main' lens, even if I turn all of the filters on then search something, I only get my applications and folders as results, and the filters selection un-selects everything as soon as I hit enter.

Could be related, not sure, but my 'Music' and 'Images' lenses tell me there aren't any music or images on my computer, respectively. The only none-local results I seem to be able to get are in the Videos lens.

I've checked dconf for com.canonical.unity.launcher remote-content-search, and it's on 'all' (Which was a suggestion to turn the smart-scopes on when I installed from repos today).

Like I said, I get 'suggested' results in the Videos lens, but nowhere else!

Is there anything at all I can do to use Unity to its full potential? smile Not bothered about the privacy issues around the spyware-scopes, just want to try it all out big_smile

EDIT: Installed from the repos today, everything from both Unity-For-Arch and Unity-For-Arch-Extra. Was installed on top of an already-running gnome-shell install.

Last edited by Reded (2014-04-16 18:55:05)

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

#2533 2014-04-16 20:16:59

chenxiaolong

Reded wrote:

I'm not sure if I've mixed a trick here, but I'm only able to use a few of the scopes. For example, on the 'main' lens, even if I turn all of the filters on then search something, I only get my applications and folders as results, and the filters selection un-selects everything as soon as I hit enter.

Could be related, not sure, but my 'Music' and 'Images' lenses tell me there aren't any music or images on my computer, respectively. The only none-local results I seem to be able to get are in the Videos lens.

I've checked dconf for com.canonical.unity.launcher remote-content-search, and it's on 'all' (Which was a suggestion to turn the smart-scopes on when I installed from repos today).

Like I said, I get 'suggested' results in the Videos lens, but nowhere else!

Is there anything at all I can do to use Unity to its full potential? smile Not bothered about the privacy issues around the spyware-scopes, just want to try it all out big_smile

EDIT: Installed from the repos today, everything from both Unity-For-Arch and Unity-For-Arch-Extra. Was installed on top of an already-running gnome-shell install.

I just pushed an update to unity-scope-home that fixes the issue big_smile The problem was caused by Ubuntu changing the HTTPS SSL certificates on their server (probably due to the Heartbleed bug). Anyway, the new package is building now and should land in the repo soon.

--
https://jenkins.cxl.epac.to/job/ArchLin … 60/console

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2014-04-16 20:18:13)

#2534 2014-04-16 22:23:33

Reded

chenxiaolong wrote:

I just pushed an update to unity-scope-home that fixes the issue big_smile The problem was caused by Ubuntu changing the HTTPS SSL certificates on their server (probably due to the Heartbleed bug). Anyway, the new package is building now and should land in the repo soon.

--

Awesome, thanks!

Sorry to be a bother, but any idea what could be blocking the Photos lens doing anything? All the smartscopes are working, but the Photos lens still returns a blank. I assumed I need something specific installed but I can't think what...

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

#2535 2014-04-16 23:08:26

chenxiaolong

Reded wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

--

Awesome, thanks!

Sorry to be a bother, but any idea what could be blocking the Photos lens doing anything? All the smartscopes are working, but the Photos lens still returns a blank. I assumed I need something specific installed but I can't think what...

You're welcome!

For the photo lens, just make sure you have Shotwell installed and your photos imported into it.

#2536 2014-04-17 00:07:38

Reded

big_smile That'll do it, thanks again. I figured it was shotwell, and had it installed, but didn't even think to open it and let it work its magic big_smile

#2537 2014-04-17 07:13:40

gianluca.pettinello

gianluca.pettinello wrote:

I have done the full installation and found some problems.
- FN+brightness keys are not wroking as before while in gnome they works. I think there is some crap misconfiguration in my system
- Close, maximize,minimize buttons are on the right and this cannot be changed any more
- When I expand a tree very often the window starts to flicker and the only way to stop is to move or resize the window
- I'm not able to disable global menus. The only solution is to uninstall the unity-gtk-module and indicator-appmenu packages

I solved the flickering issue by enabling a workaround on pixel. It is the one with brackets

#2538 2014-04-17 11:48:35

n4zm830

I have this problem with System Monitor. The background is made transparent instead of white. It's like the problem with gnome-control-center before
B17RWHQs.png

#2539 2014-04-17 13:36:32

gianluca.pettinello

n4zm830 wrote:

I have this problem with System Monitor. The background is made transparent instead of white. It's like the problem with gnome-control-center before
http://i.imgur.com/B17RWHQs.png

Could be a problem of theme. Few themes are compatible with Gnome 3.12. For instance Zukitwo

#2540 2014-04-18 04:34:44

horsemanoffaith

Chen,

Your work is awesome! I re-did my hard drive on my laptop here not too long ago to make room for another Linux distro. I installed the beta for Ubuntu 14.04, and I have to say, it's pretty good!! I still prefer Arch, though, so Ubuntu won't be my primary OS.

It looks to me like you have made great strides in making Unity for Arch compatible with Gnome 3.12, and I'm really looking forward to re-installing Arch and Unity on my laptop to see how well it's working. Keep up your hard work!!!

#2541 2014-04-18 05:38:39

ThElitEyeS
Banned

error: failed retrieving file 'Unity-for-Arch.db' from dl.dropbox.com : Resolving timed out after 10325 milliseconds
error: failed to update Unity-for-Arch (download library error)

#2542 2014-04-18 08:37:57

tydell
Website

After yesterday update I get as follows:

[   66.005975] compiz[1628]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fd8931724ac sp 00007ffff338d640 error 4 in libunityshell.so[7fd892d91000+55d000]
[   72.530457] compiz[1973]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fb7074f84ac sp 00007fff8b22dd90 error 4 in libunityshell.so[7fb707117000+55d000]

Today I also updated new versions packages from Unity-for_Arch but still no luck

#2543 2014-04-19 12:53:51

gauravpadia

After last update on my computer, Unity is not able to start and if I try to open nautilus on another DE I am getting this error:

nautilus: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Last edited by gauravpadia (2014-04-19 12:56:01)

#2544 2014-04-19 12:55:37

ThElitEyeS
Banned

gauravpadia wrote:

After last update on my computer, Unity is not able to start and if I try to open nautilus on another DE I am getting this error:

nautilus: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I guess you have to install those

extra/icu
multilib/lib32-icu

#2545 2014-04-19 12:58:52

gauravpadia

ThElitEyeS wrote:
gauravpadia wrote:

I guess you have to install those

extra/icu
multilib/lib32-icu

No it does not solved the issue. icu package was already installed and installing lib32-icu does not solved it.

#2546 2014-04-19 17:15:46

sollidsnake

I'm having some trouble with global menus. In some applications (like nemo, audacity) it shows locally integrated. In others (like gnome-terminal) it shows both locally integrated and in the top bar. Here's a few screenshoots:

System settings duplicated menu:
http://i.imgur.com/iiF1pCr.png

Gnome terminal showing both integrated and globally:
http://i.imgur.com/ahTJvuE.png

I tested these on Ubuntu 14.04 and everything works fine. Am I the only one having these problems?

Non serviam

#2547 2014-04-19 17:25:37

chenxiaolong

Please do not "pacman -Syu" yet. I need to rebuild some packages for the new icu package.

EDIT: Building now
dee-ubuntu: https://jenkins.cxl.epac.to/job/ArchLin … 67/console
libcolumbus: https://jenkins.cxl.epac.to/job/ArchLin … 68/console

EDIT2: It's safe to upgrade now

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2014-04-19 17:53:48)

#2548 2014-04-19 18:04:06

ThElitEyeS
Banned

chenxiaolong wrote:

Please do not "pacman -Syu" yet. I need to rebuild some packages for the new icu package.

EDIT: Building now
dee-ubuntu: https://jenkins.cxl.epac.to/job/ArchLin … 67/console
libcolumbus: https://jenkins.cxl.epac.to/job/ArchLin … 68/console

EDIT2: It's safe to upgrade now

Hey brother, is it possible to install unity along side gnome without problems ?

#2549 2014-04-19 23:16:57

horsemanoffaith

horsemanoffaith wrote:

When I log in to Unity, all of my settings are set to my preferences. After some time, my panel reverts to GNOME default settings, which are UGLY. Also, when I open Nautilus, I find that the icons are also the GNOME default icons. What causes this and how do I fix it?

I have asked this question twice and gotten a response once, but I have still not found a solution to the issue. I really want to get this fixed, because I cannot stand the default GNOME settings. Quite honestly, it makes me want to ditch Unity and go to another DE that doesn't have this problem. I'd post a screenshot, but the PrntScr button is not working. I have installed gnome-screenshot, but it isn't doing any good. Can SOMEONE PLEASE help me solve this problem? I love Unity, but this is seriously aggravating me.

By the way, I am NOT having these problems in Ubuntu 14.04

I have fixed the problem with screenshots by enabling Gnome compatibility in CCSM. Now screenshots are being taken and the shots are placed in my Pictures folder. I am still searching for an answer to try to find out what's causing the themes problem. If I continue to have the problem, I will post those screenshots here.

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2014-04-20 05:51:09)

#2550 2014-04-20 06:08:01

horsemanoffaith

I have been searching the internet all day today trying to find a solution to my theme problem, and through my research, I have found that this has been a problem in Ubuntu since 11.10, if my memory serves me correctly. Everything seems to point me towards gnome-settings-daemon, which oi_wtf pointed out to me in an earlier reply. I was unable to solve the problem back then, but I seem to be making some progress on it now. I found a thread on Ubuntu forums that talked about this problem, and it seemed to be a consensus that gnome-settings-daemon was crashing. Restarting gnome-settings-daemon was one of the popular replies, but I have tried that via terminal, and I get command not found. I found another post that said there are two gnome-settings-daemons running at the same time, and offered a script to fix the problem. I have put the script in place, and it DOES make a difference- my theme stays much longer than it did before. Using gnome-system-monitor, I can replicate the problem by killing the gnome-settings-daemon process. Here are screenshots that show the degradation in my themes:

Normal settings, prior to killing gnome-settings-daemon:
http://s532.photobucket.com/user/horsem … 5.png.html

After killing the first gnome-settings-daemon process:
http://s532.photobucket.com/user/horsem … 5.png.html

After killing the second gnome-settings-daemon process:
http://s532.photobucket.com/user/horsem … 4.png.html

I'm still at a loss for what's causing the crash, but it seems to me that once I kill the process the first time, another one immediately starts (checking the 2nd process shows it starts RIGHT after the initial change in my themes) and holds the downgraded theme for a short while, then that one crashes as well. With the script I mentioned earlier in place, I haven't stayed on my desktop long enough to see if there is a second crash. I will do some further testing and try to find out what's going on. Is there a log file somewhere that will show me what's happening when gnome-settings-daemon crashes? That would be particularly helpful.

Moderator edit [ewaller]  Large images were being displayed.  I see you tried to create click through images, but the target of the img tags should be thumbnails, not the full size images.  I broke the img tags so they won't display.  Feel free to replace the target of the img tags with links to thumbnails, and take the spaces I placed in the img tags back out.  The links to the full size images should still work.

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2014-04-21 03:11:47)

Board footer