You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-20 23:15:06

Dragon707
Website

[IDEA] Too large images ...

Hi Guys,

I see often post edits by moderators where the post contains full size image's, i saw today already 4 edits.
So, is it an idea to write a plugin in PHP or JS to check their topic post before submitting for too large images or resolutions pasted here ?

ArchLinux is Awesome

GitHub   •   Dotfiles   •   Contact me   •   DELETE...!

#2 2014-04-20 23:24:49

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [IDEA] Too large images ...

We just use vanilla FluxBB, so this would be something that you'd need to ask about upstream.

My personal view is that automating this does nothing to address the actual issue: people can't be bothered reading the Forum Etiquette or numerous stickies before they post here. No plugin can fix laziness or vampirism...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-04-20 23:29:01

Dragon707
Website

Yeah, your right about that.

But give them at least a message to read the Forum Etiquette before posting if its detected?

Last edited by Dragon707 (2014-04-20 23:29:23)

ArchLinux is Awesome

GitHub   •   Dotfiles   •   Contact me   •   DELETE...!

#4 2014-04-20 23:33:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Sure: if upstream are willing to implement it.

I guess I just naturally resist any move to make this place more of a hand-holding environment. People should be encouraged to think for themselves and of others when they post here.
But that is probably just a product of my cynicism/misanthropy... smile

#5 2014-04-21 00:56:40

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

I think, if we're going to write a plugin to detect images that are too large for the BBS, we should have the result be a failure to post followed by a 24 hour period where the only threads that the offending user is able to read are the FAQ stickies; any other thread should forcibly redirect them to the Forum Etiquette wiki page.

Too much? tongue

All the best,

-HG

#6 2014-04-21 01:21:59

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

HalosGhost wrote:

Too much?

Not at all. smile

#7 2014-04-21 01:28:16

ewaller
Administrator

I have touched more than my average number of over sized images today.  I think you have missed a few big_smile

Regardless of whether we automatically detect over sized images is not really that important.  First, there are some threads where we don't want to impose limits.  There are some image threads where there may be the expectation that there may be some large images. (case in point, I'm bored, lets have an image game thread).  Others are a bit Gray (like share your .... desktop).  Aside from image threads, people don't expect large images.

Personally, I don't worry about large images in terms of x and y dimensions.  What I worry about are the people who pay by the bit, or who have low speed connections.  People who pay through time or bit do not want to be surprised by large images.

I hope that by changing images to links I don't change the utility of these forums.  Regardless, that is our policy.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2014-04-21 14:45:29

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

ewaller wrote:

I hope that by changing images to links I don't change the utility of these forums.  Regardless, that is our policy.

That's why if the image is too big, I simply delete the image link completely. If the user cannot be bothered to read the forum etiquette about image sizes, I don't have to be bothered about saving his/her link smile

Select image tag, hit delete or backspace tongue

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer