You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-24 18:06:18

thomas-kloiber

[SOLVED] No network connection after installation

Dear all,

I just installed arch linux on my laptop and set up the network during installation according to your "Beginners Guide" using netctl-ifplugd.
After reboot I have no network connection and cannot bring one up no matter what I'm doing with netctl, altough the service is running ... I cannot ping any server, neither by hostname nor by ip address. It's a fresh base install without any additionl packages (except ifplugd).
The only way to establih a network connection is using dhcpcd for my interface, but after a restart I have to use dhcpcd again. At least this excludes driver issues I assume ...
I encountered a few similar postings with similar issues, rather old (seems during migration to systemd) and none with a solution for me.

Kind regards,
Thomas

Last edited by thomas-kloiber (2014-04-24 19:05:14)

#2 2014-04-24 18:09:58

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] No network connection after installation

Did you enable the netctl service ?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2014-04-24 18:11:17

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

have you set up an ethernet-dhcp profile in /etc/netctl as in the config section of the wiki? And if so, are you sure that the ethernet interface name is correct in your profile?

#4 2014-04-24 18:32:44

thomas-kloiber

Thank you but the netctl service is running as I checked with systemctl and I don't need a profile when using ifplugd, but I also tried using netctl with a profile (double checked interface name) and also no network connection.

Last edited by thomas-kloiber (2014-04-24 18:33:25)

#5 2014-04-24 19:04:36

thomas-kloiber

It seems I was a bit too fast posting a question, i.e., networking works now.

First in the "Beginners' Guide" it seems that one doesn't need profile files if one uses ifplugd, that's wrong as evr pointed out, and second, the cable (with an active network) has to be plugged in during boot time, else it also won't start afterwards ...

Thanks for your hints ...

Board footer