; daemonize = no
; fail = yes
; allow-module-loading = yes
; allow-exit = yes
; use-pid-file = yes
; system-instance = no
; local-server-type = user
; enable-shm = yes
; shm-size-bytes = 0 # setting this 0 will use the system-default, usually 64 MiB
; lock-memory = no
; cpu-limit = no

; high-priority = yes
; nice-level = -11

; realtime-scheduling = yes
; realtime-priority = 5

exit-idle-time=0
; exit-idle-time = 20
; scache-idle-time = 20

; dl-search-path = (depends on architecture)

; load-default-script-file = yes
; default-script-file = /etc/pulse/default.pa

; log-target = auto
; log-level = notice
; log-meta = no
; log-time = no
; log-backtrace = 0

; resample-method = speex-float-5
; enable-remixing = yes
; enable-lfe-remixing = yes

; flat-volumes = no

; rlimit-fsize = -1
; rlimit-data = -1
; rlimit-stack = -1
; rlimit-core = -1
; rlimit-as = -1
; rlimit-rss = -1
; rlimit-nproc = -1
; rlimit-nofile = 256
; rlimit-memlock = -1
; rlimit-locks = -1
; rlimit-sigpending = -1
; rlimit-msgqueue = -1
; rlimit-nice = 31
; rlimit-rtprio = 9
; rlimit-rttime = 1000000

; default-sample-format = s32le
; default-sample-rate = 96000
; alternate-sample-rate = 48000
; default-sample-channels = 6
; default-channel-map = front-right,rear-right,front-left,rear-left,front-center,lfe

; default-fragments = 4
; default-fragment-size-msec = 25

; enable-deferred-volume = yes
; deferred-volume-safety-margin-usec = 8000
; deferred-volume-extra-delay-usec = 0

My main reason for using pulse is that I have surround speakers and some applications (games in particular) seem to rely on pulse to support surround, sadly enough, whereas others (rarities) have manual channel count selection. Channel count should be auto detected by alsa and then queried by programs automatically aswell in my opinion, but enough of that rant. I'll just have to live with the shorter end of the stick and start using pulse, at least pulse is nice enough to automatically upmix sound to the channel count you give to it (although i would really like if I could customize it, I know in my windows drivers upmixing was done in a much more elegant way, it was almost as if stereo sound sources were actually surround sound, I would get things in movies like only soundtrack in rear speakers from upmixing, now that's epic, gj creative)

Anyhow, here are my 4 issues, some of which may or may not be interconnected.

1: sometimes when I launch applications the volume will be changed, sometimes this results in max volume and damaged eardrums, other times it results in muted volume, completely unacceptable! (Note: flat volumes is turned off in my config)
2: I have 2 outputs in pulse, "EMU20K2" and "Monitor of EMU20K2" sometimes one is set louder than the other, other times they seem to be linked together blows my mind really, the volume differences may be related to issue 1.
3: Pulse likes to mess with the alsa volume controls, and I don't like how childishly it does this. Just a few minutes ago it turned the volume down to "9" and apparently if the volume is below 10 there won't be any sound (mute). And it seems that it only sometimes but not always messes with alsa (as in sometimes it'll turn down alsa with itself, sometimes it will turn up alsa with itself, but occasionally alsa is left as is creating a lot of bad inconsistencies

4: Volume control for Rear Left/Right speakers doesn't work (edit: it is now the center and lfe channels, not rear, rear channels are now correctly adjustable). In my experience, it does work from alsamixer, however the sound from the rear speakers is ridiculously much lower than the sound from the front and center ones (much lower than I'd like them to be) and I can't seem to selectively control the volume of rear vs front & center in pulseaudio. This problem is not so severe for upmixed stereo to 5.1 sounds but it is much more noticable from 5.1 sources, if I play 5.1 audio from a 5.1 source the volume in the rear speakers tends to be so low it's nearly inaudible if i don't place my ear close to the speakers.

5: the channel mapping of a certain game (Dust: An Elysian Tail)  is off, it's a 2D game but I get dialogue from the rear speakers and soundtrack from front (should naturally be the reverse) this does not seem to apply to all appllicatons though, (CMPlayer/Mpv seem to do fine as well as speaker-test, at least I haven't noticed anything in my movie players) but googling the issue yields no results leading me to believe I'm the only one having this problem (top search result is a steam community post I myself made)

Please help me out here sad I've got pulseaudio-alsa and pulseaudio as well as pavucontrol installed. I'm running the current enlightenment package from the official repositories as my DE with the mixer properly configured (i.e. "disable pulseaudio" is unticked)

Edit2: I realized my syntax was wrong so I fixed

flat-volumes = no
default-sample-format = s32le
default-sample-rate = 96000
alternate-sample-rate = 48000
default-sample-channels = 6

This presents new problems and I assume fixes none of the first (perhaps it fixed issue 1 though, let us hope)

6: Same as 2, but now it seems that the normal "EMU20K2" channel is mapped to my front speakers only and the "Monitor of EMU20K2" is mapped to all my other speakers (surround) when my system is booted, the latter is set to max volume but the sound works "ok" however if I turn down the main channel, only my front speakers are turned down (rear/center/lfe are still on), if I move the slider for the Monitor channel, alsa volume is set to 100 and everything goes to hell until I find the mute button which surprisingly enough works. Notably, the sound of he rear and center speakers (considering that the "Monitor" channel is set to max volume) is very low, or just about the same as 20% volume on my normal speakers (until Alsa is set to 100% when I touch that slider)

How hard can it be to map one 6 channel soundcard to one 6 channel output in pulseaudio and just use it like it were a sane application?

Last edited by rabcor (2014-05-18 11:26:34)

#2 2014-04-25 10:53:09

Chazza

Re: [Edited] Pulseaudio Unstable

Hi.

I recently tested pulseaudio with Enlightenment and confirm many of the same issues. I'll try and answer as many as I can.

1). I think the cause of this is that the files in /etc/pulse and ~/.config/pulse get out of sync. What's going on under the hood I don't really know but I do know that if you delete the ~/.config/pulse directory and then log out and log in again the issue should be fixed.

2) I know nothing about this one. Sorry.

3) To the best of my knowledge this is an Enlightenment specific problem. I experienced exactly the same issue, almost word for word as you said it.  Additionally I found that the option to show a popup when changing the volume using the media keys could not be reliably set. Basically I would check that box, the popup would work for a couple of volume changes and then it would simply uncheck itself. The Enlightenment sound mixer is supposedly configured to talk to pulseaudio. There is a checkbox somewhere in the main settings panel called pulseaudio support or something like that but it should be checked by default. The Enlightenment sound mixer is simply buggy.

As for the volumes going to max, this is a well known problem with pulseaudio's flat volumes. Basically, pulse adjusts the system volume to the volumes of applications. For applications to work correctly with flat volumes, their own volume must be set to 0. If an application's volume is set to 0 then pulse will automatically set it to the systems master volume when audio output is required. Some applications such as Rhythmbox and VLC you'll find always start with their volume at 0 when pulse is installed, hence they always play nicely with flat volumes. Sadly, some applications insist on having their volume set to 100, I know that banshee does this, and they will be very troublesome in this regard. The fix is to either always use applications that work with flat volumes or to disable flat volumes altogether. To disable flat volumes you need to do the following: in your daemon.conf file, change

; flat-volumes = yes

to

flat-volumes = no

4) I've not experienced this one.

5) I've experienced exactly the same issue with Enlightenment. Again, it's a bug with Enlightenment's mixer. I've never had the same issues with GNOME Shell or MATE or Cinnamon or any other desktop that uses pulseaudio. I don't know of any permanent fixes.

6) I've never had that before. I don't know any better workarounds.

As much as it saddens me to say it (because I really did like Enlightenment) if you switch to another desktop you'll have a lot less trouble with pulseaudio. I'm currently using MATE, probably will be for a long time, and my issues with pulse have been practically nil so far. Just my experience. I hope you manage to straighten out your sound issues!

Regards

Last edited by Chazza (2014-04-25 11:04:46)

#3 2014-04-25 16:53:42

rabcor

God damn, I really like Enlightenment too! So basically 1, 3 and 5 are associated with Enlightenment? hmm..

I'm hellbent on making Enlightenment work, it's got the perfect UI for me and is the only WM I've found so far where it's easy to use per-workspace wallpapers. But perhaps I should consider running something else for a while to pinpoint which of these issues are Enlightenment related and which ones aren't. Well, even if I actually love MATE too just like you (coincidence right? we seem to have similar tastes in DEs) I was just thinking yesterday that I need an excuse to install KDE anyways. (Apart from this I'm running into some problems with Krita and some strange ones with both Steam and Gedit that I haven't quite figured out yet)

So that's what I'll do. Maybe telling enlightenment to start KDE services on login will change something.

Thanks for pointing out that enlightenment has a pulseaudio support option. It indeed is checked by default(oh the irony). So with that fixed, I'll try this again smile

Edit:
So I fixed the setting in the mixer, I suspect this fixed issue 1, but i'm not 100% sure just yet (i'll need to use it longer to confirm).

With Issue 3, I've disabled flat volumes as suggested, and like i said above fixed the setting, but this problem persists. It's less frequent after enabling pulseaudio for the mixer, but it still happens. One of my biggest problems with this is that at times, I may set the mixer to max volume and everything is quiet, then (i assume the next time an application is launched) the sound jumps properly to 100% and if that happens overnight, i'll be waking up the whole neighborhood D:

Last edited by rabcor (2014-04-25 17:16:42)

#4 2014-04-25 18:14:41

Chazza

About that steam problem, is it that its icon in the ibar is wrong? For me, the steam client decided it was bored of its boring old steam icon and used the Half Life icon instead! Oh and for me steam's systray icon wasn't working properly either. It wouldn't disappear from the systray when the client was quit.

rabcor wrote:

So that's what I'll do. Maybe telling enlightenment to start KDE services on login will change something.

I tried the same thing but with GNOME services. No joy for me I'm afraid.

Yes MATE is pretty awesome. Stable, reliable, good looking (in an old school way) but I do miss that Enlightenment quirkiness. At the end of the day though, the software has to work as expected for me to use it for any length of time.

rabcor wrote:

With Issue 3, I've disabled flat volumes as suggested, and like i said above fixed the setting, but this problem persists.

I'm surprised disabling flat volumes didn't fix this one. Have you definitely restarted pulseaudio after making the change to daemon.conf?

Cool wallpaper btw. The invisible shelf for the workspaces pager a nice touch as well. I hadn't thought of that when I used Enlightenment.

Last edited by Chazza (2014-04-25 18:33:33)

#5 2014-04-25 19:28:16

rabcor

My steam problem well is not the Ibar Icon, that one works fine but the tray icon does not and I have not found any fix for that, i've just been living with that though, what sometimes happens in both steam and gedit (leading me to believe this has to do with GTK on Enlightenement) is well, strange, it's hard to describe. In Gedit's case someitmes If I click it with another window (like chromium under it) it shifts the focus to chromium (mouse basically doesn't work on it) but in gedit's case using the keyboard to type some stuff fixes this (i.e. mouse starts working properly with it again) in steams case now that I think of it the issues were similar (mouse related, and unable to change focus to this or that.) I don't know exactly how to descriibe the steam problem, but well sometimes it's like the mouse is locked into steam, so like if I right click my desktop I get the steam context menu (weird right?) clicking "stop" in it will fix the issue there.

I'm with you on that software has to work as expected for me to use it for any length of time, but when I want something as badly as Enlightenment, I give myself a goooooooood while to try to make it work, and if I fail I check back regularly to see if it'll work that time.

Also I didn't just restart pulseaudio, I restarted the whole computer (several times too, I actually googled and found this no flat volume option before you replied and tried changing to it already, i've slept between then so at least 1 guaranteed cold boot between setting that setting and now)

;
Thanks smile wallpaper is by elsevilla. I had to upscale it a little, my image editing skills served me well in that regard (quick tip if you don't do al ot of image editing is, for example with that image we're trying to get 1920x1080, but its 1800x1200, so I upscale 1800 to 1920 and allow the 1200 to follow it to maintain the aspect ratio, then I vertically crop the canvas size down to 1080. I lose some of the top and bottom of the picture, but maintain as much quality as possible and make sure it won't look stretched, basic, but useful to know since you can use this on any image, whether it's downscaling or upscaling that you're doing. The key is always to make sure it's the right aspect ratio so it won't look stretched on your monitor.) also one thing this picture doesn't show is that I have an (auto)hidden ibar at the top which also has invisible borders smile (and a fully functional Steam icon in there too) this setup is pretty much the same as the one I naturally set up the first time I ran Enlightenment on my laptop (took about 10 minutes to set up) which naturally came to me even if I'd never used Enlightenment before. My real problem with it is deciding how I want the mouse to function in it.

Last edited by rabcor (2014-04-25 19:30:27)

#6 2014-04-25 20:43:50

Chazza

rabcor wrote:

In Gedit's case someitmes If I click it with another window (like chromium under it) it shifts the focus to chromium (mouse basically doesn't work on it) but in gedit's case using the keyboard to type some stuff fixes this (i.e. mouse starts working properly with it again) in steams case now that I think of it the issues were similar (mouse related, and unable to change focus to this or that.)

Ah I know what that problem is. And yes, you're right, it is a gtk issue on enlightenment. Since gtk 3.12 and the client side decorations on all the gnome apps, if you open a gnome app and then close it and then open it again, enlightenment sets the 'no borders' option on the window. I discovered this with the about dialogue on nm-applet but it's present on all the gnome apps with csd. When you're finding that the mouse click goes straight through the app, right click on its button in the ibar and you'll see that the no borders option has been checked. I think this may need to be reported upstream if it hasn't already. Until enlightenment gets compatibility with gnome's csd, your best bet is probably to downgrade to gtk 3.10.

#7 2014-04-25 21:29:27

rabcor

I have confirmed that the issue with unpredictable volume controls persists in KDE as well even with flat volumes off. (I also confirmed that the GTK issues from Enlightenment are present in it as well, at least with steam.)

I've found a reliable reproduction method for this to be to launch a game (Namely Dust: AET works 100% of the time, and I think X3:AP also does but I've only had this occur once with him; I only ran it once too.)

Normal usage scenario if I have DeadBeef and Chromium running, I run Dust: AET and the volume stays normal in DeadBeef but gets maxed in Chromium.

KDE System Messages drop the volume for a second, then it goes back to normal again. (I think this affects all volume, but I might be wrong)
Steam Message Notifications drop the volume permnanently in DeadBeef, but have no effect on the volume in chromium.

I'll have to find more examples though, *sigh* why can't my sound just work...

DeaDBeef is set to use ALSA (Not pulseaudio)

Now I noticed something really funky. When steam notifications pop in steam maximizes it's volume right? Well, it wouldn't surprise me if it's using "pulseaudio-alsa" and same deal with chromium actually. But basically when I reduce the volume of steam, (both) chromium and deadbeef will sound louder (even if their volume meters don't move)...

This is all so confusing, why is sound so complicated in linux?

Last edited by rabcor (2014-04-25 23:06:38)

#8 2014-04-26 11:25:01

Chazza

rabcor wrote:

I have confirmed that the issue with unpredictable volume controls persists in KDE as well even with flat volumes off.

Not that surprised about this one. I've seen numerous threads asking about KDE and Pulseaudio. I can't really help here. KDE is not to my taste aesthetically or functionally so I rarely use it.

rabcor wrote:

(I also confirmed that the GTK issues from Enlightenment are present in it as well, at least with steam.)

So Kwin doesn't like csd either then? I wonder if anyone else can confirm this. I had a quick look in the arch bug tracker but couldn't find anything there so far.

rabcor wrote:

I've found a reliable reproduction method for this to be to launch a game (Namely Dust: AET works 100% of the time, and I think X3:AP also does but I've only had this occur once with him; I only ran it once too.)

Normal usage scenario if I have DeadBeef and Chromium running, I run Dust: AET and the volume stays normal in DeadBeef but gets maxed in Chromium.

If I'm reading this correctly then, in this case, it is Chromium and not Enlightenment or any desktop that is the problem here. As you have KDE installed you must have Konqueror installed as well. Try the steps to reproduce the bug but with Konqueror instead of Chromium. Any difference?

rabcor wrote:

KDE System Messages drop the volume for a second, then it goes back to normal again. (I think this affects all volume, but I might be wrong)
Steam Message Notifications drop the volume permnanently in DeadBeef, but have no effect on the volume in chromium.

The system messages volume is affecting the volume of applications?  I pray to the GNU/Linux God for mercy...

rabcor wrote:

DeaDBeef is set to use ALSA (Not pulseaudio)

Now I noticed something really funky. When steam notifications pop in steam maximizes it's volume right? Well, it wouldn't surprise me if it's using "pulseaudio-alsa" and same deal with chromium actually. But basically when I reduce the volume of steam, (both) chromium and deadbeef will sound louder (even if their volume meters don't move)...

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't pulseaudio-alsa just a compatibility package? I was under the impression that all it did was provide an asound.conf file which ensures that applications which are configured to talk directly to alsa are redirected through pulseaudio. I can't see what this has to do with the volume. I've had no issues with steam and the volume, not even on Enlightenment. I've also never had issues with the in volume web browsers. I'm really not sure what's going on here.

rabcor wrote:

This is all so confusing, why is sound so complicated in linux?

Middleware complicates everything. Sheesh, I've been practically useless so far! I wish I was able to help more but there you go. If pulseaudio continues this nonsense I guess there is always the option of oss.

EDIT: Have you tried this: In Enlightenment go to Settings Panel --> Apps --> Startup Applications. Add the PulseAudio Sound System option. That might make a difference. I know pulseaudio is already getting started anyway but maybe it works better with Enlgihtenment when started this way.

Last edited by Chazza (2014-04-26 19:16:13)

#9 2014-04-27 07:13:07

rabcor

It seems like you said, downgrading GTK fixed the issue with Steam, r at least I havent' noticed it so far. The downgrade also broke Gedit, but fuck Gedit, they changed how it looks and I refuse to use something that looks so... apple-y. >_> (I moved to Sublime 2 at least until Lime is in a usable state instead, naturally a much better editor that I shoulda been using from the start)

I did not try reproducing the bug with Konqueror, but I suspect Konqueror would've had different results seeing as it's sound code is probably different from chromium. What I was using was chromium's pepper flash plugin which is a thing of it's own, i would've needed flashplugin to reproduce this in konqueror I assume.

You're not wrong about pulseaudio-alsa.

I could've tried what you suggested in your edit,k but I didn't see it until now.

I was just thinking earlier while I was trying my luck with recording stuffs through ffmpeg and I had audio delays, in my head I was able to link much of these crazy delays to when I was switching applications (i.e. ifg I recorded with only the sound of one application, like say deadbeef, sound would work just fine.) and well I had some other problems in it but it came down to "I don't want to continue trying to make this thing work until my sound is working" and then because of all these issues I figured in my head as well "oh I possibly wouldn't be having all these problems if I could just use Alsa"

And so... I decided "why not try one more time?" so I uninstalled pulseaudio, pulseaudio-alsa and pavucontrol and now (to my incredible surprise) alsa works like it always should have (none of the problems from the thread I linked to in the OP are present anymore). Everything is exactly like I want it to be now... In other words, the solution to fixing pulseaudio problems was to get rid of pulseaudio altogether smile

Man I wasn't expecting it to just work this easily, I wonder what installing pulseaudio even did that fixed my sound since my sound remained fixed after uninstalling it. Might have been that my soundcard drivers needed one of the dependencies installed with pulseaudio to work, who knows. I hope I never have to find out!

Last edited by rabcor (2014-04-27 07:13:47)

#10 2014-04-30 08:56:45

Chazza

rabcor wrote:

It seems like you said, downgrading GTK fixed the issue with Steam, r at least I havent' noticed it so far. The downgrade also broke Gedit, but fuck Gedit, they changed how it looks and I refuse to use something that looks so... apple-y. >_> (I moved to Sublime 2 at least until Lime is in a usable state instead, naturally a much better editor that I shoulda been using from the start)

I did not try reproducing the bug with Konqueror, but I suspect Konqueror would've had different results seeing as it's sound code is probably different from chromium. What I was using was chromium's pepper flash plugin which is a thing of it's own, i would've needed flashplugin to reproduce this in konqueror I assume.

You're not wrong about pulseaudio-alsa.

I could've tried what you suggested in your edit,k but I didn't see it until now.

I was just thinking earlier while I was trying my luck with recording stuffs through ffmpeg and I had audio delays, in my head I was able to link much of these crazy delays to when I was switching applications (i.e. ifg I recorded with only the sound of one application, like say deadbeef, sound would work just fine.) and well I had some other problems in it but it came down to "I don't want to continue trying to make this thing work until my sound is working" and then because of all these issues I figured in my head as well "oh I possibly wouldn't be having all these problems if I could just use Alsa"

And so... I decided "why not try one more time?" so I uninstalled pulseaudio, pulseaudio-alsa and pavucontrol and now (to my incredible surprise) alsa works like it always should have (none of the problems from the thread I linked to in the OP are present anymore). Everything is exactly like I want it to be now... In other words, the solution to fixing pulseaudio problems was to get rid of pulseaudio altogether smile

Man I wasn't expecting it to just work this easily, I wonder what installing pulseaudio even did that fixed my sound since my sound remained fixed after uninstalling it. Might have been that my soundcard drivers needed one of the dependencies installed with pulseaudio to work, who knows. I hope I never have to find out!

Glad your issues are fixed smile It's just a shame that the "solution" is so mysterious. What we can take from this is that to fix alsa problems you install pulseaudio (which won't work properly) and then unistall pulseaudio at which point alsa will magically start working again. I love Linux big_smile

#11 2014-05-17 09:58:10

rabcor

My whole surround sound issues in the other thread were a misunderstanding, now that I better understand I've updated the OP here, since I need pulse after all hmm please help me out D: (I was used to having the whole process of "surround sound" automated in windows, i haven't had to select channel count for applications since the glory days of Windows XP! Linux has clearly lagged pretty far behind windows in sound)

#12 2014-05-17 21:49:27

Chazza

Just saw this post. And yeah, the ; symbol denotes a comment in pulse files so they have to be removed or your settings won't take effect. Prob one will definitely be fixed. As for prob 3, that's natural. Pulse will change the alsa volume. Just ignore the alsa volume and only change with the pulse volume. For probs 2 and 4, have you considered using pavucontrol to change the volume? There's options in output devices to lock channels together or unlock them. It works flawlessly for me. I have no idea about 5 or 6.

#13 2014-05-18 11:14:37

rabcor

for 3 the problem was that pulse didn't increase the alsa volume again. Just opening pavucontrol creates some problems (I think it mutes one of these 2 channels) but for 4 it would not work, I just noticed now that Pulse is really acting as if I had a 4.0 setup but still upmixing to 5.1. It also may turn the volume up but not back down.

Now I can change the rear left/right and front left/right (after I set channel map to 6) but not the center and LFE channels, reducing volume of front speakers kills them, reducing volume of rear kills the rear and the center and LFE. The lock channels together option does nothing about this of course since as soon as I play something it will revert to center/LFE maxed (and not doing anything) and rear/front to the volume setting i'm on.

Sometimes my volume mixer will use alsa instead of pulseaudio, and pulse in alsamixer only has front/rear/center/lfe channels (no master channel) this gives me behavior much more like what I want. Not sure why or how this happens though.

Last edited by rabcor (2014-05-18 11:30:07)

#14 2014-05-18 12:24:14

V1del

Have you enabled lfe-remixing in the meantime? As in removed the ";" in front of it so that it looks like

enable-lfe-remixing = yes

you only mentioned the sample-rate settings, so maybe you have missed that one, it works flawlessly here in pavucontrol with that set and default is "no" so you'll have to set that

#15 2014-05-20 10:08:55

rabcor

Yes, I did try this and it seems to have little/no effect. If it does have an effect it might be that it kills the control I had over the rear channels volume sad

Last edited by rabcor (2014-05-20 10:09:49)

Board footer