You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-01 18:12:59

mrbeard

[SOLVED]GDM won't start after doing an -Syu

SOLUTION: had to re-install NVIDIA driver

I think this has something to do with the fact that i had NVIDIA proprietary driver installed. I fixed it before by re-installing it however now it's giving me an error about GCC version 4.8 being used instead of 4.9 and I've tried installing 4.9 but every time I -Ss I only see 4.8...

/var/log/nvidia-installer.log

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Thu May  1 13:06:25 2014
installer version: 331.67

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
WARNING: Skipping the runlevel check (the utility `runlevel` failed to run).
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 331.67.
-> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system (version: 331.67).  As part of installing this driver (version: 331.67), the existing driver will be uninstalled.  Are you sure you want to continue? ('no' will abort installation) (Answer: Yes)
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
-> The CC version check failed:

The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.9) does not exactly match the current compiler (gcc 4.8).  The Linux 2.6 kernel module loader rejects kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match that of the compiler used to build the running kernel.

If you know what you are doing and want to ignore the gcc version check, select "No" to continue installation.  Otherwise, select "Yes" to abort installation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used to compile your kernel, and restart installation.  Abort now? (Answer: No)
-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/3.14.2-1-ARCH/build'
-> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/3.14.2-1-ARCH/build'
-> Performing rivafb check.
-> Performing nvidiafb check.
-> Performing Xen check.
-> Performing PREEMPT_RT check.
-> Cleaning kernel module build directory.
   executing: 'cd ./kernel; make clean'...
-> Building NVIDIA kernel module:
   executing: 'cd ./kernel; make module SYSSRC=/lib/modules/3.14.2-1-ARCH/build SYSOUT=/lib/modules/3.14.2-1-ARCH/build NV_BUILD_MODULE_INSTANCES='...
   NVIDIA: calling KBUILD...
   make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/modules/3.14.2-1-ARCH/build'
   Makefile:615: Cannot use CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG: -fstack-protector-strong not supported by compiler
   test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
   echo >&2;							\
   echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
   echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
   echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
   echo >&2 ;							\
   /bin/false)
   mkdir -p /tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel/.tmp_versions/*
   make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel
     cc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel/.nv.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.8.2/include -I/usr/lib/modules/3.14.2-1-ARCH/build/arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I/usr/lib/modules/3.14.2-1-ARCH/build/arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I/usr/lib/modules/3.14.2-1-ARCH/build/include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include /usr/lib/modules/3.14.2-1-ARCH/build/include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mno-mmx -mno-sse -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -pg -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -DNV_MODULE_INSTANCE=0 -DNV_BUILD_MODULE_INSTANCES=0 -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -I/
   tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel -Wall -MD -Wsign-compare -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNVRM -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"331.67\" -Wno-unused-function -Wuninitialized -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -DNV_UVM_ENABLE -D__linux__ -DNV_DEV_NAME=\"nvidia\"  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(nv)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(nvidia)" -c -o /tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel/.tmp_nv.o /tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel/nv.c
   cc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fstack-protector-strong’
   scripts/Makefile.build:308: recipe for target '/tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel/nv.o' failed
   make[2]: *** [/tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel/nv.o] Error 1
   Makefile:1274: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel' failed
   make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/selfgz689/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.67/kernel] Error 2
   make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/modules/3.14.2-1-ARCH/build'
   NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
   nvidia.ko failed to build!
   Makefile:176: recipe for target 'nvidia.ko' failed
   make: *** [nvidia.ko] Error 1
-> Error.
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at [url=http://www.nvidia.com]www.nvidia.com[/url].

Last edited by mrbeard (2014-05-03 05:22:38)

#2 2014-05-01 18:19:10

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]GDM won't start after doing an -Syu

have you searched the forums? There is already a thread on this.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2014-05-01 18:27:54

mrbeard

Inxsible wrote:

have you searched the forums? There is already a thread on this.

thanks for the quick reply. I did and read a couple of them but none of them seemed to be related from what I've read. Maybe I'm missing something?

#4 2014-05-01 19:12:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Well then it seems there is a gcc version mismatch.

According to this, we are still on gcc 4.8 unless you are using testing. And if you are, you probably selectively installed the kernel from the testing repo without doing -Syu ??

Also you say you tried installing gcc 4.9. How did you install it? was the installation successful or did it fail ?

You can check your gcc version by

pacman -Q gcc

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2014-05-01 19:14:36

mrbeard

Inxsible wrote:

Well then it seems there is a gcc version mismatch.

According to this, we are still on gcc 4.8 unless you are using testing. And if you are, you probably selectively installed the kernel from the testing repo without doing -Syu ??

Also you say you tried installing gcc 4.9. How did you install it? was the installation successful or did it fail ?

You can check your gcc version by

pacman -Q gcc

Yea, I was on 4.8 before not sure why it's throwing this error now...and I didn't say I installed 4.9 I said I was trying to search for it but couldn't find it and I'm not on testing so that would stand to reason. I am on gcc 4.8

#6 2014-05-01 19:23:50

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

mrbeard wrote:

....being used instead of 4.9 and I've tried installing 4.9 but every time I -Ss I only see 4.8...

That led me to believe that you had installed 4.9 and still pacman sees it as 4.8

Forum Rules

#7 2014-05-01 19:25:00

mrbeard

Inxsible wrote:
mrbeard wrote:

....being used instead of 4.9 and I've tried installing 4.9 but every time I -Ss I only see 4.8...

That led me to believe that you had installed 4.9 and still pacman sees it as 4.8

I thought -Ss was just to search I'm a noob :\

#8 2014-05-01 19:30:00

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

if you can login via the terminal, then you might want to check the logs. journalctl and dmesg and maybe even xorg logs.

If you do post them here, remember that these logs can be quite long. So make use of pastebin or similar and post a link here.

Forum Rules

#9 2014-05-02 14:09:28

mrbeard

dmesg
http://respectthebeard.org/dmesg.log

journalctl
http://respectthebeard.org/journalctl.log

I didn't see an Xorg log. I was looking in /var/log

Last edited by mrbeard (2014-05-02 14:10:25)

Board footer