You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-10 23:48:53

allucid

wpa_supplicant reduntant config stuff [solved]

I have wpa_supplicant working, I was just wondering what I can remove. I have different network 'profiles' set up in /etc/network-profiles/* and in wpa_supplicant.conf.

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:

update_config=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
opensc_engine_path=/usr/lib/opensc/engine_opensc.so
pkcs11_engine_path=/usr/lib/opensc/engine_pkcs11.so
pkcs11_module_path=/usr/lib/pkcs11/opensc-pkcs11.so
network={
        ssid="nismo"
        key_mgmt=NONE
        wep_key0=<super secret>
network={
        ssid="gtw"
        key_mgmt=NONE
        wep_key0=<super secret>
        auth_alg=OPEN
}

/etc/network-profiles/nismo:

DESCRIPTION="Home"
INTERFACE=eth1
HOSTNAME=veritas
IFOPTS="dhcp"
ESSID=nismo
KEY=<super secret>
IWOPTS="mode managed essid $ESSID key $KEY"

/etc/network-profile/gtw:

DESCRIPTION="School"
INTERFACE=eth1
HOSTNAME=veritas
IFOPTS="dhcp"
ESSID=gtw
KEY=<super secret>
IWOPTS="mode managed essid $ESSID key $KEY"

As you can see, I have the wep key listed in both places. Also, do I need the HOSTNAME var set in the /etc/network-profile/* files?

And some generic questions:

Can I set it so that if my wired interface is available it skips the wireless setup?

Is there a way to do a 'default' profile so that it connects to open networks automagically (no key but varying essid's)?

#2 2006-02-11 18:05:38

phydeaux

Re: wpa_supplicant reduntant config stuff [solved]

You don't need to run wpa_supplicant to connect to a wep encrypted network.  Although it can handle managing connections to open and wep networks so can the kernel.  Leave the USE_WPA line in your network profile commented out and you should be fine.

Can I set it so that if my wired interface is available it skips the wireless setup?

Not that I am aware of.  The way I handle this on my laptop is to setup the wired interface with a network profile as well instead of rc.conf. (network profiles in arch don't have to be for wireless interfaces).  Then I use the menu feature to choose which profile (and there for which interface) when I boot.  I can also change network profiles after booting by running the netcfg command.

Is there a way to do a 'default' profile so that it connects to open networks automagically (no key but varying essid's)?

Yes, set the essid to "any" and it will associate with the first one it comes accross.

andy

#3 2006-02-11 21:46:42

allucid

Re: wpa_supplicant reduntant config stuff [solved]

thank you sir, all works well now.

Board footer