You are not logged in.

#4051 2014-06-30 00:02:00

white

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

nomorewindows wrote:
white wrote:

Hello everyone. I'm glad to say that I finally made it into the Arch camp finally after fixing some weird issues I was having on my laptop that basically made linux distros unusable on my system. Nonetheless the problem is fixed and I'm having a good time on my system.  So far Arch has been an awesome distro to use and it's super lightweight. Hopefully I can continue to further my knowledge with it as it's been a wonderful and painful learning experience. Hope to get well acquianted with community and have a good time here.

Wasn't UEFI/SecureBoot by chance was it?

No. It was this weird graphics glitch that made me unable to use any distro / DE. Somehow it magically fixed itself and I'm just rolling with it.

#4052 2014-07-01 13:01:51

quequotion
Website

white wrote:

No. It was this weird graphics glitch that made me unable to use any distro / DE. Somehow it magically fixed itself and I'm just rolling with it.

Could that be (U)EFI + Kernel ModeSetting + Intel HD (builtin) GPU + an additional Nvidia GPU?

#4053 2014-07-04 05:20:56

captainsnackbar

Hi

I started on an AT&T 3B2 SYSVR3 just before the end of the dark ages and have gone through everyone's Unix there is. DEC and SCO are probably the worst I had to work with and am more of a Solaris and System V user. now For Linux I almost always use Centos but need to stretch out. Good times.

Last edited by captainsnackbar (2014-07-04 05:22:07)

#4054 2014-07-04 05:48:40

ewaller
Administrator

captainsnackbar,
Welcome to Arch Linux.  I went ahead and merged your post with the official "Hello" thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4055 2014-07-06 16:45:35

thr2000

Hey everyone! I'm thr2000, or Hank. I started using Linux a month and a half ago, with Ubuntu. My laptop is pretty old and was running XP, and I couldn't get anything done on it because the support for XP had ended, and I probably had a virus or something. I distro-hopped for a while (Ubuntu->Debian->Ubuntu derivatives back and forth->Debian->Arch), and I'm thinking I'm going to stick with Arch. Since I'm still really new to Linux, I have a lot of moments with Arch when I think "Why did I get into this....", but after reading the Wiki pages I need and searching on Google, I usually find the answer I'm looking for. I switched to Arch because I wanted something really customizable, and I liked the idea of a rolling-release distro. After reading some posts and the Wiki, I decided that it was for me. The first time I installed Arch, I followed an outdated video, and, even though I think I installed it correctly, I didn't really understand the installation, and I was afraid that I had messed something up. I did a fresh install by following the Wiki, and I understood the process a lot better. I still have a lot of things I need to work with, but it's going well so far. smile

Hank

#4056 2014-07-06 17:43:59

dasDing

first post initiated... 1 2 3 testing testing...*coughs blood*
*clears throat*
Here at last... so a big fat Howdy to the arch linux community from my solarized cockpit in germany:
arch+zsh+xmonad+tmux+vim (Oh yeah! me love me system!)

Last edited by dasDing (2014-07-06 22:13:36)

{},    { {} },    { {} ,{ {} } },...
The one is not and the void is unique.

#4057 2014-07-08 00:48:11

faiz

Hi guys

been using arch linux for almost two years now, always used the wiki, kind of lurked the forums..

felt the time was right to join and contribute something back to the helpful community that has made using linux a breeze!

arch+zsh+awesomewm+urxvt-tabbed+vim

#4058 2014-07-08 04:24:11

WebReflection

a must do HELLO EVERYONE before posting randomly silly/noob questions seems legit!

#4059 2014-07-11 08:48:58

mak42

I already had my Laptop SetUp with Arch a few Month ago, after Ubuntu *uugh* it was the second Distro I tried.
So Installation wasn't that hard, set up XMonad (don't now much Haskell), installed Gnome3 *uugh*.
After a few Weeks with this Setup, I wasn't really happy and thought maybe there's something better out there.
So I installed CrunchBang, the preconfigured OpenBox looks really nice, but I wasn't happy with it.
Maybe it's the Debian-Base, go to Fedora -> don't like it. Maybe should check out what's all the Fuze about Elementary-OS?
I don't like it, I don't even find it "beautiful", and why on Earth all these Forks?!? Don't get it, don't want it, get it off...
So what should I do? Go with Debian-Minimal? Naah I just don't want this apt-pinning to get new packages to break other packages and so on....
After all I want to learn more about Linux, so I Decided to give Gentoo a try. Managed to get a running System, but it doesn't felt smooth (I know it did so because, I couldn't make it running smooth).
and I just don't want that much options to pick with all those "use flags" and yeah whatever. What's next should I give BSD a try? No I think it will be the same result as Gentoo.
Soooo fuck it, back to Arch, switch to i3wm instead of Xmonad and finally I couldn't be happier!

Conclusion "NO THERE ISN'T ANYTHING BETTER THEN ARCH LINUX!" at least for me ;-)

Thanks Arch you are FREAKING AWESOME.
(Also big thanks to helmuthdu for his Archlinux Ultimate Install Script, so I didn't need the Beginners-Guide a second time)

Last edited by mak42 (2014-07-11 08:50:50)

simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication

#4060 2014-07-11 09:21:03

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Welcome back!

Merging with Official Hello Thread

#4061 2014-07-11 12:11:31

Frosted

There have been times in the past where I've "made the switch," but this time I really have. Other distros I ran on the desktop were Suse and Slackwear. I'm not having any serious issues or difficulties. It could be that my level of knowledge has become adequate to run Linux as a desktop OS, it could be that things have gotten more streamlined over the years, or it could be that pacman is the best package manager ever. Native-Linux Steam helps, too. When the A.D.D. kicks in and I need to run around and shoot people, I can do it without a reboot. And there are some quirks that make it feel nice and cozy: some typos on man pages and in some programs, and some graphic-design oversights on some KDE themes. Let's you know it's really the people's OS.

Plans: play with Blender, get Photoshop running, learn more about WINE (I have the propensity to learn about things I rely upon), and learn some programming, and some day contribute some tiny morsel to the open source community. Mostly, what I do on the computer varies from month to month. I'll go into a few months of uber learning, then a few months being an uber sloth. Lately it's Netflix (using pipelight) and trading Forex. Thanks for reading my babble.

I have a knack for having a knack, but know nothing too well.

#4062 2014-07-11 12:25:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks for sharing Frosted, I've merged your post with the "Hello" thread.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4063 2014-07-11 17:17:21

lollix01

Hello, I'm a Gentoo user and today I've installed Arch Linux on my laptop. I think that is a very user friendly distribution.
Hello!                                                                  :-)

#4064 2014-07-11 17:40:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

lollix01 wrote:

I think that is a very user friendly distribution.

ARGH!, What has become of us

wink Welcome.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4065 2014-07-11 17:51:59

karol
Archivist

Trilby wrote:
lollix01 wrote:

I think that is a very user friendly distribution.

ARGH!, What has become of us

Unleash jasonwryan!

;-)

#4066 2014-07-14 16:40:00

Nue

Hello!
I started using Arch about 4 month ago and I really like it. I have some ricing to do now so you can expect some questions about that. Also my drivers are pretty messed up. I wonder how I have survived for so long.
Thanks for having me. smile

also sorry for my bad english. heh

#4067 2014-07-15 18:03:40

chris

Hi I have been using arch for 1 year (at work with a lotta help from my friends), and now I decided to install it at my macbook air (ok some friends are calling me stupid).  There are still a lot of things to configure but I managed the internet (most important).

#4068 2014-07-15 18:49:28

El Che

HELLO EVERYONE !

big_smile

El Che.

#4069 2014-07-15 23:11:54

kinkinkijkin

Hello! I was recently looking for a second OS to dual-boot with windows, and someone suggested Arch to me. One problem compiling something that's relatively known for being difficult to compile, and here I am with an account on these forums, after forgetting how I got it working in Ubuntu. Needless to say, I'm probably going to spend a few hours scouring the forums for information on it, give up, and spend an hour trying to figure out which subforum to ask about it on.

#4070 2014-07-16 00:14:54

miga

I guess I should say hello. Technically I don't use Arch, but I do use Parabola which is derived from Arch, so most of the information from Arch is useful to me. Needless to say, Arch/Parabola has become my favorite flavor of GNU/Linux by far. I guess as a bit of background, I started out on Ubuntu early 2009, switched to Trisquel in 2010, then Parabola in 2012, and have been using that since. Other things I like besides GNU/Linux is anime and stuff like that. So, yeah.

My computers:
Hakase - Shuttle SX79R5 | Intel Core i7 3930k 3.2GHz (6-core) | nVidia GeForce GTX 560 1GB | 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 (1600MHz) | SanDisk Extreme 120GB SATAIII SSD + Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATAIII HDD | Onboard sound is faulty
Miyako - ASUS Q501LA | Intel Core i5 4200U 1.6GHz (2-core) | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 8GB DDR3 (1600MHz) | Intel 520 Series 120GB SATAIII SSD

#4071 2014-07-16 05:39:47

DrKillPatient

Hello (again, sort of)! I'm not quite a new user, since I used to run Arch and visited these forums somewhat frequently, but about 8 months ago, after I got a new Macbook, I ended up reverting to Mac (forgive me, Linus, for I have sinned!) because of some issues pertaining to the new Retina display stuff on Linux, plus overwhelming schoolwork. Recently I'd been messing about with the more Unix-y side of OSX and somehow, every topic I researched seemed to lead eventually to the Arch wiki... Thus began the temptation. OSX is a decent system, to be sure, but over time I've run into issue after issue due to various obscure design choices ("what do you mean launchd items can't present GUI notifications?!") and the lack of UI customization — especially the unfathomable eldritch terrors that result from not having a tiling window manager. I've been increasingly following the development of various Linux software, and now that Firefox seems to support H.264 better via Gstreamer and it has MSE experimentally (Chrome + high DPI seems a lost cause, unfortunately), plus Wayland is reaching slight usability, I'm feeling ready to experiment with Arch again, and perhaps return to using it as my main OS. I'd really like to get back into programming more frequently, and I'd like to contribute more actively to the F/L/OSS community as well. Doing some bugfixes for the touchpad's mtrack driver as I set up my system would be a great start. The ISO arrives, byte-by-byte, in my downloads folder as we speak I type... Soon!

#4072 2014-07-16 21:56:23

anypot

Hey guys !

I started using Arch two or three months ago on my new Windows laptop to remove it after haha.
This is my first real try on a Linux distro at home, but I wasn't too disturbed because I'm working on rhel and aix servers (in the middleware team of a future poor bank tongue).
It doesn't prevent me from learning new things day after day thanks to this forum !

See you soon smile

Bspwm, zsh, urxvt, vim, ranger, ncmpcpp... I hate my mouse now !

"Nobody knows what's gonna happen at the end of the line, so you might as well enjoy the trip" - Manny

#4073 2014-07-16 22:56:09

dilyn

Not a bad place for a first post!
Reading through some of these posts and I gotta say, I feel kind of slow on the uptake here! I've been using Linux for what must be eight years now. Starting off with Ubuntu 6.06 on an old Dell (256MB RAM, 6GB HDD, Pentium. Man that was old) - switched because XP couldn't be asked to turn in on less than five minutes! Continued with Ubuntu for a few years, tried out Mint and SuSE as well. Eventually had to go back to Windows because I missed all of my games. Started looking into Arch about a year ago, read through the Wiki for days and got hooked on the Philosophy. Just sold my desktop to get a more mobile setup. Until I get my new ultrabook I'm using my girlfriend's 6 year old laptop to run a simply Arch system. Oh how it reminds me of when I started! Even on this rig that would barely open Chrome on Windows 8, it flies through everything I do with Arch. It's so beautiful. Throwing out all my Windows disks and CD keys, not looking back.
Can't wait to start. This will be a grand adventure.

#4074 2014-07-16 23:04:10

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome!

dilyn wrote:

Starting off with Ubuntu 6.06 on an old Dell (256MB RAM, 6GB HDD, Pentium. Man that was old)

I'm absolutely NOT trying to start a "Well, back in MY day war" but, when I was in college I used a laptop that had 4GB of hard drive space AND I dual booted Windows XP and Slackware, and I somehow NEVER RAN OUT OF SPACE. I had software, videos, music... How the heck did I do that??

Anyway, my point is, I love to reminisce. smile

#4075 2014-07-16 23:43:02

ewaller
Administrator

drcouzelis wrote:

I'm absolutely NOT trying to start a "Well, back in MY day war" but, when I was in college I used a laptop that had 4GB of hard drive space AND I dual booted Windows XP and Slackware, and I somehow NEVER RAN OUT OF SPACE....

Oh, yeah.  I had a 512K 68K Based Macintosh with a 10MB disk. And I was lucky.

Anyway, my point is, I love to reminisce. smile

Me Too wink

Welcome to Arch, dilyn

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer