You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-01 03:22:10

nephish

best way to set up pop and smtp server?

Hey there,
i am digging arch ! i am using arch to host both a home network, and a couple of websites for friends. But here is what i want to do. i would like to host an email server also. so my website name can be my email address also , you know, me@mydomain.com
what is the easiest solution to set up an email server ? i have read some stuff on exim, and the arch wiki for courrier, but it looks a bit intimidating.. i remember from me ol debian days, that debian uses exim by default, but i never used it.
where is the best place to get started, i dont need a lot of features, just something that works and can be configured for maybe a half dozen users.

any suggestions ?

thanks

#2 2006-01-02 00:43:42

joe
Website

Re: best way to set up pop and smtp server?

Try Hula, it should be in [community].  It was FAR easier to implement than Postfix, and less of a pain to maintain.

I've been using it for about the same number of people.  It's great, since it comes with a web interface, imap, pop and everything else you should need.

#3 2006-01-02 04:54:28

nephish

this is cool, i found their site on the web. a quick question though, i dont know anything about imap, does that do the same thing as smtp? thanks

#4 2006-01-02 08:11:16

joe
Website

IMAP and SMTP are different things.

SMTP is simple mail transfer protocol - it's just a protocol to transport email from host to host

IMAP is internet message access protocol - it's a protocol to retrieve your email, one in which the messages are stored on the remote server (unlike POP where all the messages are downloaded locally)

IMAP is nice because it allows for access to your mail from any client (and can be used for web based email rather than something like Thunderbird or Sylpheed)

Hula has both (along with POP)...

#5 2006-01-02 12:44:02

nephish

way cool.
thanks a lot there.
looks like just what i was looking for

#6 2006-02-18 20:11:50

nephish

i am just now getting around to installing hula, i was wondering though, do you need webadmin installed? or does it have its own. i could not quite figgure it out fom the docs. And, does this run as a daemon ?

thanks for any help here

#7 2006-02-19 04:47:12

nephish

never mind, i found the wiki on it.

Board footer